Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sun4u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see a debug mode or at least some more details whats happening!...yesterday it took 25 mins to acquire satellite....I was completely lost and very crossed.

Usually, it just take few seconds to acquire satellite!
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sun4u...i've noticed this as well, not with the i3 but with a 60c i had and by chance my sky dish signal was breaking up as well...i can only think that if theres really bad weather up in the ionsphere the signal cant get through ...thats my theory half baked as it is..
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
sun4u...i've noticed this as well, not with the i3 but with a 60c i had and by chance my sky dish signal was breaking up as well...i can only think that if theres really bad weather up in the ionsphere the signal cant get through ...thats my theory half baked as it is..

sounds plausible though - afterall you're getting info from a satellite that's a few hundred miles up in the air as opposed to a few miles away at the top of a building (for mobile phone signals).

what info did you want sun4u? it said it was acquiring satellites - would you want to see all the algorithms is goes through to acquire them?

MaFt
Sun4u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it just stuck at "acquiring satellite..."

when you are indoor, it prompts for confirmation "...are you indoor.." , while yesterday it didn't prompt, it means there were some signals...so...at least the signal strenght...

MaFt wrote:

what info did you want sun4u? it said it was acquiring satellites - would you want to see all the algorithms is goes through to acquire them?

MaFt
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a small firmware crash....just wondering if you had turned the unit off and then on if it would have got a lock.....
Sun4u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that twice !!

First I did in just 5 mins then again in 5 mins then i let it go..after 15-20 mins it found satellite (without re-starting) !!

Weather was clear as well.

zogman wrote:
sounds like a small firmware crash....just wondering if you had turned the unit off and then on if it would have got a lock.....
andybike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
andybike wrote:
i'm a newbie and i have a few idea's.

howabout an earphone socket,a 1'' socket/ball adapter for use with ram mounts and a waterproof case as the i3 is popular with bikers who want a gps satnav on a tight budget

earphone socket ... for an extension speaker maybe or route sound via car stereo (although the i3 voice directions are quite loud)

not when you have 120db+ of windblast on a motorway,a 3mm earphone socket would be great
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun4u wrote:

Weather was clear as well.

what about radiation further up in the atmosphere?
Sun4u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get a chance to check that !! Laughing

MaFt wrote:
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun4u wrote:
Didn't get a chance to check that !! Laughing

MaFt wrote:

ah well, next time ;)

from here: http://www.gpsw-support.co.uk/faqgeneral.htm

What is TTFF or Acquisition Time ?

The time it takes for a GPS receiver to acquire satellite signals and determine the initial position. You need at least 3 satellite fixes for the GPS Receiver to be able to triangulate it's position, but most will prefer to function on 4-5 or above.

- What should be the average TTFF ?

TTFF's can vary from depending how long the GPS has been off, to local surroundings, interference and ionosphere interference. Please note the times listed below are only as a guideline and should not be guaranteed. Fixes can differ depending on how much Almanac or Ephemeris data is already recorded as current data within the GPS Receiver. Times can also be affected by localised interference, multipath errors (rebounded signals) or external interference like ionosphere interference or solar flares.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
i can only think that if theres really bad weather up in the ionsphere the signal cant get through ...

Generally speaking, the weather and ionospheric conditions do not have a noticeable effect on GPS receivers. If atmospheric conditions were so bad that a reciever couldn't get a first fix for 20 minutes then it would be front page news because there would be an awful lot of people having problems.

The problem with the GPS receiver not getting a fix were probably due to the receiver completely losing it's ephemeris and almanac data and having to do a sky search in an area with poor visibility of the sky or while moving.
Thomas_Quest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the ability to see the current speed instead of the arrival time should be added.

to toggle between these two info with the power button would be cool, but an option in the settings would also work for me.

that is the feature i miss most.

Quest
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused as to the apparent majority wanting to see the speed on the i3.... Surely, the speedo in the car is good enough.... (yeah, yeah I know, it aint ever truly accurate, but hey, we're talking 1-5mph)....

As for me - I'd like the abilty to upload saved points I take in the field, to back em up.

That or the postcode thing fixing - then I wouldnt need the saved points, as the locations would work first time!!!!! (my work sites are all without house numbers, and the postcode search is vague to say the least)

Pauljmuk
Thomas_Quest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
I know this because i nearly hit something the other night cause i was too busy looking at the sat/nav... 8O

never had that problem. besides, if i monitor the speed on the tacho, im takeing my eyes from the street. if i check the speed on my navi, i'm keeping my eyes where i'm driving.

best regards
Quest
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely not - if you've been driving for years, glancing at the speedo is second nature surely - its also a big fat needle pointing at a big fat number.

That has to be safer than squinting at a box showing speed that is about 1cm by 0.5 cm.....

Just my two cents - I didnt buy the i3 to tell me my speed, I bought it to tell me how to get to where I'm going.

DSL - Don't Say Leonard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: