Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coinshooters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments were mainly refering to map difference, but point taken, cant see them issuing new cards on a unit this price, .though

MaFt wrote:
coinshooters wrote:
What a moany lot !!!!

i think some of us were a bit moany cos it seemed that some people were going to get a free upgrade simply because they held back registering the product... however it seems this isn't the case after the emails back from garmin.

my last reply from them said they still don't even know how they are going to get the update onto the i3! he said they normally send out a cd and you buy the unlock code but seeing as the i3 runs off the transflash they were thinking of sending a new card out but they wouldn't know until late november.

MaFt
HySeeker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
the i3 calculates the arrival time based on the distance to go and the speed you are doing..if you are in slow moving traffic then the arrival time will be later, speed up to 60 mph and then the arrival time will be sooner...also your current speed must be fairly constant for the i3 to give a reasonable accurate arrival time..

My Garmin Etrex uses the algorithm described by Zogman, with an added complication that it uses speed towards the destination, which compensates for bendy roads etc.

The i3 seems to be even cleverer - I believe it uses the expected speeds and distance along each road (for your vehicle type), plus the time now, to get the ETA. For example, last night I halved my speed though a town, but the ETA did not change on the i3, the Etrex would have doubled the journey time. If you are stuck in traffic for 10 minutes, ETA goes up by ten minutes. So, for an accurate ETA, you need to average the "expected" speed for that road type, rather than a constant speed :-)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HySeeker wrote:
I believe it uses the expected speeds and distance along each road (for your vehicle type), plus the time now, to get the ETA.

That is correct. The ETA doesn't change quickly because it seems to average your speed over a fair distance. So if you get caught in 30 MPH traffic on the motorway, it doesn't automatically assume that you are going to be traveling at 30MPH for the next 100 miles.

The ETA is most accurate in light traffic conditions. If you are doing a lot of stop/start driving where you get stuck in a jam for 5 minutes then, it has a bit of trouble figuring out your ETA.

For example, you might be sitting in a 1 mile tailback 1 miles from your destination and it will tell you that your ETA is in 2 minutes because it has no way or knowing if the jam is about to clear or if you will be stuck there for an hour.
Beeker303
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Newbie here. Just bought an i3 and it seems like a good bit of kit. But after down loading usb drivers and clicking on updater, When asked for connection details I click on usb device but nothing comes up in the box next to it. Then it cant find it?? I know that the i3 is connected as it turns on and is powered by the usb cable and the computer "beeps" when the usb cable is plugged in but it cant find it? Any help would be great . Thanks again....
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeker303 wrote:
Hi Newbie here. Just bought an i3 and it seems like a good bit of kit. But after down loading usb drivers and clicking on updater, When asked for connection details I click on usb device but nothing comes up in the box next to it. Then it cant find it?? I know that the i3 is connected as it turns on and is powered by the usb cable and the computer "beeps" when the usb cable is plugged in but it cant find it? Any help would be great . Thanks again....

have you rebooted the pc?
Beeker303
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the reply. Rebooted pc and just tried it on my laptop with the same results. Could I have bought a duff one??
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeker303 wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply. Rebooted pc and just tried it on my laptop with the same results. Could I have bought a duff one??

i gather you have downloaded garmins poi loader. run it and it will look for your device (gps)..once it has found your gps ,point it to where you have your poi's stored then load them..
Beeker303
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried POI loader. Went to device settings and " Find device" still come back with device not found. I3 is still powered up and waiting. I'm about lost now?? Any more Help ???
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i can suggest is uninstall poi loader...reboot..reinstall it ...reboot...make sure you dont have the i3 pluged in yet ..run the poi loader ..plug in the i3 ...hopefully it should work..if it dont then ?
Beeker303
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just uninstalled everything, reloaded POI loader. Ran loader then plugged usb cable in,I3 turned on looked for device but still not found?? Will take back to shop tomorrow and get it changed. Thanks for your advice..Cheers Chris.
smspeedy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just bought an i3,i have to say i'm overjoyed with it,what a piece of kit for the money.It's the first sat nav i've had so i have nothing to compare it too but it does exactly what i bought it for, no more no less.I've been following with intrest the debate about the v8 update and having breezed through a local new housing estate today without a problem i won't be losing any sleep if i'm not entitled to it.Many thanks to MaFt and Zogman for the POI links and i now have everything i need,including LPG sites which i thought i might struggle to get.Well done guys,keep up the good work.
:D
Steve
kevinbev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run poi loader and it does not detect a device then it seems that the usb drivers have not been installed correctly. Check control panel and the add/remove programs and have a look to see if garmin usb drivers is listed.
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say looked for device, do you mean Windows when it detects new unit? If so, choose manual selection and point it to C:Garmin\USB_Drivers

You need ti have downloaded drivers from Garmin first.

BTW. You will not see the Garmin as a drive or anything, but it will allow the downloader to work once you have installed drivers.
Beeker303
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT LAST !!!!!! HOORAAAAH..Thanks for all the advice,Between you lot and the girlfriend it is done...Can't wait to try it tomorrow. Thanks again for all the advice :D Chris...
ShoneyMK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3 software update ver 2.60 Reply with quote

Garmin software update is avaolable as at 11th October 2005
version 2.60

www.garmin.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 26 of 39

Jump to: