Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom On Watchdog tonight (Tuesday 7pm)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom On Watchdog tonight (Tuesday 7pm)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpsdell wrote:
Given the cost of sat nav systems most people would expect the map companies to be making significant investment in keeping their maps up to date, that is their business, what else are they doing every day!?

They do! TeleAtlas will be at our next meet in Nov. If anything, where they fail is in explaining how complex the process is.
gpsdell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take your word for it. If there's a problem with maps being incorrect is that down to the sat nav companies not shipping the latest maps, e.g. TT 5 came out ealier this year, so they keep shipping the same map until the v6 is realeased?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpsdell wrote:
I'll take your word for it. If there's a problem with maps being incorrect is that down to the sat nav companies not shipping the latest maps, e.g. TT 5 came out ealier this year, so they keep shipping the same map until the v6 is realeased?

It's not so simple (is anything?). The map companies could gear up to mor frequent releases if the clients demanded but they don't because the end user market isn't there. If TomTom offered monthly or quarterly updates at £100 a time how many takers do you think there would be?

And the data collectors need to be more proactive in reacting to user complaints.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptorheli2 wrote:
what i don;t understand is if someone has a paper map and it doesn't have a road on it or something, they can say ach well. it was printed 6 months ago. what makes them think it is no different from these maps gps uses?

Because quite often the maps are many years out of date and the paper maps have been long since updated.

Also because you can buy a A-Z for 5 quid and a Sat Nav system costs hundreds. 8 Confused
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptorheli2 wrote:
on another note, that woman on watchdog i couldn't believe it when she was complaining about being a steet away from a destination etc.

If she had figured out her destination was a street away why the hell didn't she drive there?

Could someone relight her pilot light?
Masked-Marauder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
raptorheli2 wrote:
on another note, that woman on watchdog i couldn't believe it when she was complaining about being a steet away from a destination etc.

If she had figured out her destination was a street away why the hell didn't she drive there?

Your missing the point. She spent a lot of money on a bit of kit that should take her to the right street.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masked-Marauder wrote:
Your missing the point. She spent a lot of money on a bit of kit that should take her to the right street.

Nope, satnav is a guide, its not autopilot. Common sense is still a requirement which she completely lacked.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masked-Marauder wrote:
spook51 wrote:
raptorheli2 wrote:

Using SatNav is not an excuse for disengaging brain. If she knew she was a street away what was stopping her driving there? Apart from being stupid.

God help her if she drives to France and finds the English Channel in the way. I expect she'll follow this example:

BONN, Germany (Reuters) A German motorist obediently following the satellite-guided navigation system of his car drove straight into the Havel River in eastern Germany, police said Saturday. He drove his BMW Friday night past a stop sign, down a ferry ramp and about four meters (12 feet) into the river before stopping. The 57-year-old driver from Hamburg and his passenger were not hurt. Police said the driver reported he was following the navigation system, which had evidently failed to note that the road in the town of Caputh near Potsdam ended at a ferry crossing!
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But satnav , or rather the application manufacturers , could do the navigation so much better . If the road ends in a river , or at a farmers gate , then the guidance should give you this information . I bet if you were driving down a country lane on a foggy night , and the road disappeared , the first words that were spoken would be b****** satnav !
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't tomtom actually show you if a road ends Rolling Eyes ????

I understand that a paper map is cheaper than the sat nav system but they don't give turn by turn directions, speed camera warnings, poi's or a lot of other features.

It is impossible to keep the road layouts up to date and tomtom can only use what they are given.

If people have issues with the maps, report them and hopefully when v6 comes out tomtom will have received the updated maps. The more people report the errors, the more information should be put right for the next one.

Common sense definitely has to be used and at the end of the day, if it guided you only one street away, stop moaning and just drive there. If it guides you into a river, use a bit of common sense and stop before the water hits the tyres.

The thing I can't believe is that these people expect thesystem to do everything for them.

The next thing we will read in the paper is that somebody has crashed and blamed it on the satnav as it didn't show the cars in front slowing down. Rolling Eyes

Some people haven't got a scooby have they????
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well unfortunately tomtom does not always tell you if a road ends .If you read the posts there are examples of roads blocked, and blocked for years, by bollards , roads that "end" in a farm track , or are just unusable . I have experience of one instruction to turn into a road and branch onto an unmetalled track , the other end of which was blocked by thick wooden posts.
I didn't take the route , common sense prevailed , but that doesn't alter the fact that such errors exist .
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the comments that these errors exist, I have encountered them myself. The point I am trying to make is that the map errors are the responsibility of Teleatlas, they provide the maps to tomtom
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclebill wrote:
Hi Trev , beg to differ on that one , I find just following just the voice directions can lead to confusion (I'm easily confused) , IMO the map , especially on roundabouts , is more accurate , or maybe I drive more slowly , any other opinions ?
Bill .

Well you may be right; but visiting my daughters new house recently on Notts, I slavishly followed the GPS icon at the Newark turn-off roundabout and took the exit AFTER the one I wanted. This actually kept me on the same road, and TomTom quicky calculated another route.

I was directed to turn off left few miles further along and then 1st exit at the roundabout, and would you believe it I did exactly the same thing again?

It added a few miles and minutes to my journey but I did arrive at my destination OK, although by this time I was following voice directions only!

cheers.....

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luposo-1
Didn't say they were TomToms fault , only that TomTom does not always show you that the road ends. That was the question that you asked.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_m wrote:

When TT is working correctly the display doesn't lag by a few seconds. If this is happening you have encountered one of the TT bugs and you can cure the problem by disabling some of the features (usually associated with POIs and/or POI warnings)

OK I'll give it a try, but the only POIs and warnings I have enabled are the safety cameras. If there is anything extra I can disable I would appreciate some suggestions. TIA

cheers...........

The voice command is the one that is often incorrect. A command such as turn right, followed by turn left can actually mean 'turn right and take the third left half a mile along the road'. the map will show the correct route.[/quote]

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: