Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garnin i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garnin i3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SatNav
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Garnin i3 Reply with quote

I have bought the Garmin i3 and love it. When I got it, I selected a Street in Manchester and one in leeds. M/C/R is 51 miles from my home and Leeds 86 it was spot on, For some reason when I look in Favourites all the distances are about 20/25 miles out. Have I pressed something to make the mileages wrong???
Can U please help me. I have the new update on the i3 but this happened B4 the update.
Also I keep reading about RESETS, what R they and how do U do it??? also, if I reset it, will I lose my update and Speed cameras??
Please help. Sad Sad
FriendlyBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Garnin i3 Reply with quote

SatNav wrote:
I, For some reason when I look in Favourites all the distances are about 20/25 miles out. (

Not entirely sure about whether Im correct, but the distance that is shown before calculating a route is roughly as the crow flies. Once it has calculated the route and you review turns, you will see the last turn mileage reading is spot on. Hope this helps
SatNav
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Garnin i3 Reply with quote

FriendlyBloke wrote:
SatNav wrote:
I, For some reason when I look in Favourites all the distances are about 20/25 miles out. (

Not entirely sure about whether Im correct, but the distance that is shown before calculating a route is roughly as the crow flies. Once it has calculated the route and you review turns, you will see the last turn mileage reading is spot on. Hope this helps

When I first got it, all the miles were spot on, but you may be right, thanks for your help
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

satnav..just wondering whether you have 'fastest' or shortest' routing clicked..this would make a difference in mileages cos fastest might take the long way round hence more miles....
pete102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Confusing Distances. Reply with quote

Having used the I3 for a couple of weeks now, I to was confused over the distances shown when selecting an address to navigate to.
Last weekend I drove to Cardiff, Wales. The I3 shown a distance of 87.3 miles from my home in Birmingham. Upon reaching my destination my odometer in the car shown I had traveled 114 miles. Not beleiving my speedo was that far out I have this morning used the unit to work. Once again I3 shows 12.7 miles, actual milage 17.7 miles.
Reading FriendlyBloke postings I have just reviewed the "Turn Reviews" option on the I3 and allthough it doesn't add the milage together and give you a total at the end of the review, the accumulated milage if you add these together yourself was 17.8 miles to work. 0.1 miles error..so close enough.
I think this is quite poor and misleading, in that the unit is designed for the road not the air so why show these distances by "Line Of Sight". When you enter an address and view the distance this should be the distance you have to travel following the displayed map and voice prompts to reach you destination. I cannot see any logic as to why Garmin have designed it in this way.
FriendlyBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Confusing Distances. Reply with quote

pete102 wrote:
I have just reviewed the "Turn Reviews" option on the I3 and allthough it doesn't add the milage together and give you a total at the end of the review, .

Just to let you know, you can get a total at the end of the journey by pressing the scroll wheel on the last turn - or alternatively a cumulative total by pressing the wheel on any reviewed turn.................
pete102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Confusing Distances. Reply with quote

FriendlyBloke wrote:
pete102 wrote:
I have just reviewed the "Turn Reviews" option on the I3 and allthough it doesn't add the milage together and give you a total at the end of the review, .

Just to let you know, you can get a total at the end of the journey by pressing the scroll wheel on the last turn - or alternatively a cumulative total by pressing the wheel on any reviewed turn.................

Thanks for the info..
It seems the only way to show the actual milage you were to travel between two points is to "Turn Off" gps, select an address from "My Favorites" select "Start Navigating" wait for the map to be calculated, select No to "Simulate Driving", select "Review Turns" scroll to the last turn and press the wheel. Now you have the actual milage. Or is there a quicker way to display the actual milage you need to travel.
This seems to point as to why my I3 and my friends TomTom 300 were showing completly diffrent distances between exactly the same points.
I have email Garmin this morning to clarify this point.
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think this is quite poor and misleading, in that the unit is designed for the road not the air so why show these distances by "Line Of Sight". When you enter an address and view the distance this should be the distance you have to travel following the displayed map

I agree totally! I have checked mine againts a friends Navman and AutoRoute and concur with previous post that the i3 calculates direct line, hopefully Garmin will recognise this as a bug? and fix it
SatNav
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minidish wrote:
Quote:
I think this is quite poor and misleading, in that the unit is designed for the road not the air so why show these distances by "Line Of Sight". When you enter an address and view the distance this should be the distance you have to travel following the displayed map

I agree totally! I have checked mine againts a friends Navman and AutoRoute and concur with previous post that the i3 calculates direct line, hopefully Garmin will recognise this as a bug? and fix it

Many thanks to all who helped, it's nice to see I'm not alone. The funny thing is, the day I got my i3 last week, I put all my destinations into it and all the mileages concured with a map ie: Manchester 51 miles but since they are 20/25 mile out. Yes I also agree, the i3 should show the route in miles you are following.
regards to all
pete102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now received a reply from garmin. Very short reply........"I can confirm the distance you are referring is calculated by 'Line Of
Sight'".
Why they have chosen to show this "Line Of Sight" distance between two points on a road based GPS unit is not clear considering this cannot be acheived by road. It seems to me this is perhaps more suited to aviation charts unless your car can fly ???
SatNav
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete102 wrote:
I have now received a reply from garmin. Very short reply........"I can confirm the distance you are referring is calculated by 'Line Of
Sight'".
Why they have chosen to show this "Line Of Sight" distance between two points on a road based GPS unit is not clear considering this cannot be acheived by road. It seems to me this is perhaps more suited to aviation charts unless your car can fly ???

Many thanks Pete 102,
I'm now saving up for a plane.. :o
SatNav
SatNav
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatNav wrote:
pete102 wrote:
Sight'".

Many thanks Pete 102,
I'm now saving up for a plane.. :o
SatNav

Sounds great for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!!!!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: