Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 killer faults
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 killer faults
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix

Are you saying that I3 and TT5 give the same route , more or less in car mode?. Then what difference does Truck mode make - if any, to the I3 vs I3 car mode?.

It is beginning to look to me as if the I3 Truck Mode is a marketing gimic which has no value in real life. Truck mode SHOULD MEAN that the routing is improved to one more relevant to a Truck ie avoid narrow roads for a start. If , as I believe, all it does is use the same route as a car but recomputes the ETA compatible with lower travelling speeds then that is not worth the bother. Obviously the requirements of a large vehicle encompass , not only, the correct handling of narrow roads but also awareness of Low bridges etc but I suspect it may be some time before that comes along. Obviously one can now obtain low bridge POI files but they don't affect the routing algorithms so at this stage I remain unconvinced of the value of TT5 or I3 in either car or Truck mode to address my problems driving an RV.

Roy
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both quickest & shortest route on journeys I know & both get them wrong. Quickest as it add 4.7 mile to all west bound journeys because it trys to keep you on dual carriageways (because the road speed defaults a wrong). Shortest because it uses back streets (yes back lanes of terraced houses because it saves 100 yards) and takes you 'all round the houses'. The walking route is a waste of time because it assumes that you are walking on the road and will not take you along roads physically blocked to motorists (bollards & path across the end of a road) but open to pedestrians. I now only use the quickest option & ignore TTN5 if I think there is a better way & after 1 or 2 recalulations TTN5 then gets it right. Think of all the wasted milage visitors to the area could be travelling if the rely totally on TTN5.

Remember, it's pointless having sat.nav. to work out the best way if you then have to consult the map to 'put it right' or worse still reverse a 60 ft. artic between cars parked on either side because the bridge is too low, road too narrow, corner to sharp etc.

I have lived at my current address for over 15 years. TTN5 directs me up a back lane and onto a road that has never been there as long as I have lived hear & if memory serves me well it has not existed (not there, is no more, it is a ex. parrot [woops I mean road], it is GRASSED OVER) for 25 years. There is another route it tries to take me that has been blocked for 10 or more years and is more like a dirt track in places (and that was BEFORE it became neglected).

Tomtom is probably the best at the moment but it's still crap and we, the customer, deserve better.

There is a big ppc market out the for good nav. software & Tomtom will loose it if they continue this 'common platform' policy.
Andyfretwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at AA product but as you can't use poi's its pretty hopeless. Don't think it does postcodes either!
Alturion gets horrible reviews so looks like a miss for now. Doesn't do postcodes either! Don't know about poi's.
So really I have not yet found an alternative to TT3 that does all the things a caravan tower or (HGV driver) needs to reliably route along suitable roads.
Suggestions always welcome!!!!!

Andy
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclebill's suggestion about loading one of the France Plus map has got to be worth a shot. In UK it would only route you along the Major Roads, which ought to be suitable for caravans, HGVs, etc. I'm a caravanner, and I'm certainly going to try it
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, the above should read

..............the France Plus map.......

Pity there's no edit facility!!!!!

Robin Embarassed
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Andyfretwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - will also give it a try. Trouble with caravan sites the real problems come when you get close to the site and often have no choice but to use some minor roads - and exclude some which are specifically indicated as not suitable for caravans. I don't think these will be on the France + maps.

Anyway its and idea - but we shouldn't have to faf about like this. Our requirements are fairly logical and probably apply to lots of sat nav users. Ho whard can it be to exclude roads???? especially if they are designated on the maps data.

Andy
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Uncle Bills suggestion is worth trying but I also agree with Andy that it is a lot of faffing about.

Now let me think about this. When I am in England I use the French Plus maps and when I am in France I use the German Plus maps (presumably) and when in Germany I can use the Italy ...

I will try it but I would rather have a product that did what it says on the tin.

Roy
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyC , you have to be kidding , only need one "Plus" map , and the map of the country you are in ?
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry UncleBill , I was being cynical and hadn't thought it through but I thought that the PLUS maps , say of France, were the French maps and the Major roads of adjacent countries. This was , I assumed, the basis of your suggestion that if you used the French Plus maps this would include the Major roads of UK which , sort of , solves the problem since all navigation in UK would only use the major roads.

My logic then followed that since the same basic problem also exists in say Germany , I assume, then to navigate avoiding minor roads one would require the adjacent country map in it's PLUS form.

Roy
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't particularly want the French mapping you could choose the Plus map that requires the least memory.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Bill

I follow that but maybe I am mistaken about what PLUS maps contain so if you can help please do.

My understanding was that say, the French Plus maps included all roads in France plus the major roads of adjacent countries. I suppose that the other possibility is that the French Plus maps include the major roads of ALL supported European countries. Do you know which it is?

Roy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PLUS maps contain all 18 countries so you only need one of them on the card, I have just check my installation to be sure - Mike
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike , that makes it clear , and makes a nonsense of my earlier mail - sorry

Roy
Lupo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The support from TomTom is... surrealistic! To say the least!
This was my recent email to them:

"Dear Sirs
The estimative of "time to destination" (and consequently of "arrival time") on TT5 is very poor. This didn't happen on TT3, where we could indicate the expected speed for several types of roads.
The question that comes to my mind is: how does TT5 calculate the time remaining to destination? Is it possible that the different speeds are now fixed, inside the code? (but this would be an awkward implementation!). It would be preferable to use the average speed of the vehicle or, at least, the instantaneous speed.
Does the overall speed limit (on Planning Preferences>Only al limited speed) interfere in any way in this calculation?
If there isn't a workaround when can we expect to have a solution for this?
Thank you"

An this was their "answer":

"well the satilites calculate the distance from where it finds you to where you have to go.
nav 5 also indicates the speed you are going so if you go slower the time it takes to get to your destination will take longer.
and so fourth when you get faster.

if you have not done it yet there is also a update for NAV 5.
http://www.tomtom.com/updates/ppcupd510.exe"

Can you believe these guys ?!
I'm going to downgrade to TTN3. Until they release a decent version of Navigator, if ever.
Anyhow, do any of you know what real improvements can we expect to find on version 5.10 when compared to 5.0 ? I have serious doubts about the recommendations of a guy that gives an answer like the above!
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not notice any changes when I upgraded to 5.1 from 5.0 in normal use.

When 'mucking about' 5.1 didn't spit it's dummy out like 5.0 did. Laughing

In my opinion 5.1 is just a minor bug fix.

Don't hold you breath for a return of road speed adjustments as Tomtom don't seem interested (or understand) in our questions, requests & opinions.

If it were not for the PGPS team that give up lots of their free time to help via this forum then there would be a lot of Tomtom users out their with a product which is even less usable than it is now.

A big pat on the back (and drinks all round) to the PGPS Team. :D :D

Remember it's Tomtom who are to blame (for the map errors as well as it is THIER responsibility to see that the data their supply with their product is up to date).

Hope everyone remembers the problems with TTN5 when TTN6 comes out & Tomtom what another £50 ish off us for what we should be given now FREE OF CHARGE.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: