Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danoli wrote:

The software is only as good as the day created.

i agree - especially for something like this. i wonder what the update policy will be? if we can get a new card in 2 years with all the updates? or if they will release map updates every few months or somehting...

there's a couple of places near where i live where the council have closed the ends of small roads to stop rat-run's - obviously these aren't on maps yet.

having said that, it'll be a good few years until those closures appear on any paper map so the i3 is still just like having someone reading from a map for you - there's always going to be an element of manual/guess work.

if we visit someone or go somewhere we'll prolly just have to get address AND postcode in order to increase our chances. a friend of ours moved into a brand new house and he gave me the postcode of a nearby shop and said "ring me when you get here and i'll give you directions" i can then set it as a favourite once i'm there (if i go back!)

still, for £200 i'm happy Smile (but that's not to say the companies involved shouldn't try to keep things up to date!)

MaFt
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: i3 - Favourites Reply with quote

Does anybody know if there is a limit on how many "Favourites" you can have on the i3?

Noz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: i3 and GPS V software Reply with quote

I've seen various comments regarding installing additional maps on the i3 by loading them onto a spare translfash card.

I'm currently using city select V6 with my garmin GPS V. Anyone know if I'll be able to use this software on the i3 ?

Are there likley to be any issues trying to use a new unit with existing software ?

Cheers, Noz
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: i3 - Favourites Reply with quote

pushandpull wrote:
Does anybody know if there is a limit on how many "Favourites" you can have on the i3?

i've been in touch previously with garmin and they said there should be about 2MB free space on the transflash card - which is quite a lot of space for text files. there's probably more but they said there's at least 2MB.
inch71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
If anyone is still looking for a manual for the Garmin i3, then follow the link below. It is from the Garmin website, and it is in .pdf format, so you will need acrobat reader to view it. It is more in depth than the quick start guide that comes in the box, and should give pretty much all the info you need. You can also print it off so you have a hard copy for future use.
Hope this helps.

https://www.garmin.com/manuals/917_OwnersManual.pdf
SayCheese
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some terrific experts and enthusiasts on this site. I hope one can help me.

I love my i3 .... but I keep losing the signal which means directions come too late or not at all. My windscreen is a normal one and I don't want to have to buy an antennae without knowing what the problem is - any tips??

Also, how do you turn down the proximity alert to a couple of hundred yards rather than half a mile?
FriendlyBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SayCheese wrote:
There are some terrific experts and enthusiasts on this site. I hope one can help me.

I love my i3 .... but I keep losing the signal which means directions come too late or not at all. My windscreen is a normal one and I don't want to have to buy an antennae without knowing what the problem is - any tips??

My initial response would be have you tried positioning in different places? Secondly are you running from battery or mains? Is the heater blowing directly on the i3? If none of these its most likely to be your windscreen which may be a UV windscreen. Have you tried in another vehicle? Antennas are currently £12 on ebay.

Please also see
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=27983

I hope this is of some help??
SayCheese
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thought FriendlyBloke. Yes, the heater does blow on the machine (because I positioned it as far down the screen as possible, so as to get the biggest view of the sky). I'll try turning it off.
I'm pretty sure my screen is just glass but, hey, who can really tell? Unless someone has a better tip, I'll get onto eBay.

Thanks again
FriendlyBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon you should definitely try in another vehicle though (using mains)before laying out for an antenna, just to be sure.................. Smile
SayCheese
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aagh, I'm a fool - just seen your previous posts on this subject. Sorry to waste people's time.
I bet my proximity alerts question is also answered somewhere too. I'll check. Again, sorry. But then it's nice to chat during office hours.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SayCheese wrote:
Aagh, I'm a fool - just seen your previous posts on this subject. Sorry to waste people's time.
I bet my proximity alerts question is also answered somewhere too. I'll check. Again, sorry. But then it's nice to chat during office hours.

tee hee Smile no worries

if you add them using the garmin poiloader software but set it as 'manual' you can set proximity alerts either by speed or by distance.

MaFt
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question

I bought an i3 a few days ago and have a query (I am new to GPS). I updated the OS to v2.4 and have used the POI loader to add the Gatso etc database referred to above and changed the language to British English. This has all gone fine, except my unit seems unable to say the words "two" and "three" !! Now, this is a bit of a problem as a turn direction 2.3 miles ahead is given as "in ---- point ----- miles, turn left etc". Any idea why this is is and how I can correct it?
TIA.

Colin.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramases...change the language to anything other than english then back to british english making sure each time you let the process finish (takes about2-3 minutes)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SayCheese wrote:
I keep losing the signal which means directions come too late or not at all. My windscreen is a normal one - any tips?

Yes, make sure you have a good satelite lock before you start moving. The GPS receiver has to "see" each sat for 30-90 seconds before it can lock on to it. If you are moving and the view gets interrupted then it has to start the lock-on process over again. Once it has a lock, it will re-aquire the sat instantly - it's just the initial lock that takes time.

Stop somewhere with a good view of the sky (not too many tall buildings or tree cover and putting the GPS on the roof for a minute or two to ensure a good lock. I don't think the i3 has a satelite map so it's a bit hit and miss to know how many sats you have locked. Why did they remove this feature? Rolling Eyes

Good luck! Thumbs Up
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
Ramases...change the language to anything other than english then back to british english making sure each time you let the process finish (takes about2-3 minutes)

Seems to have sorted it. Thanks for the advice. I reckon the i3 is a brilliant piece of kit. I've been messing about, intentionally deviating from its selected routes and it ALWAYS gets me back on track. I love it !!!

Cheers.

Colin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 14 of 39

Jump to: