Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sun4u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Garmin alert you before entering london congestion zone?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun4u wrote:

i've seen poi's for that.
no use for them myself though

MaFt
Sun4u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed those POIs and tried running in Stimulator mode, nothing shows up!!

Can anyone help....

MaFt wrote:

i've seen poi's for that.
no use for them myself though

MaFt
gazthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun4u wrote:
I have installed those POIs and tried running in Stimulator mode, nothing shows up!!

Can anyone help....

The speed cameras will show up if you approach the speed they are set up for and the others will only show up if you view map. you can navigate to them though,,,
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sun4u..when loading up the poi's with the poi loader,select manual install and check the box where it says 'this file contains proximity alerts' ...this should alert you when approaching the poi..
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
sun4u..when loading up the poi's with the poi loader,select manual install and check the box where it says 'this file contains proximity alerts' ...this should alert you when approaching the poi..

on an automatic install it sees the '@30' code in the csv and does it automatically. in simulator mode it takes you very slowly so it probably won't even "reach" eg 30mph let alone more. they only show up if you go over the spped limit set for the camera. try driving where you know there is a speed camera and before you get to it (but after you get the initial warning of the camera being nearby) go above the limit and it bleeps until you go the right speed. as you get nearer the camera at too fast a speed the icon will show up. if you're under the limit then there's no point in it showing where the camera is.

the only advantage i see of doing the manual install is that you could lower the distance to when it gives you the warning. eg have only 300feet warning before a camera rather than half a mile ;)

MaFt
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun4u wrote:

Depends. Some of the new GPS units support POI Alerts so you could get a list of POIs showing the CC zone and set them to alert.

Alternatively, you can switch on "Avoid Toll Roads" and I think this will route around the CC zone if possible, but I've not tried it. Anyone know for sure?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://MaFt.co.uk/misc/GarminPOIs.zip now has the csv's for congestion zones in london. i live in bradford, much farther up north and never plan on driving round london... so, can someone down that way let me know if they work and give the warning? i set the warning speed to be 0mph so basically if you're driving near there it will show up.

MaFt
HUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received one of these today, and have been reading this thread with interest the past week. MaFt, i've used one of your POI files and it seems great. I presume you take the manual install option and select the distance proximatey option for the cameras, and the way your file is set up you get proximatey alerts at certain speeds anyway?

One problem I have got, when I uploaded the file through the manual option, it did not ask me where I wanted to transfer the data to so I don't know which folder its in. I've had a look and i've got no hospitals, petrol stations etc. listed when going through the GUI, so have I overwritten the locations for all of these when I put my custom POI file in? If I have, can I get them back?!

TIA
HUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my last message I must add that I am currently inside doing the updates so I can't receive a satellite signal. If this possibly the reason why it doesn't show the 'standard' POIs?
chic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUK wrote:
Just received one of these today, and have been reading this thread with interest the past week. MaFt, i've used one of your POI files and it seems great. I presume you take the manual install option and select the distance proximatey option for the cameras, and the way your file is set up you get proximatey alerts at certain speeds anyway?

One problem I have got, when I uploaded the file through the manual option, it did not ask me where I wanted to transfer the data to so I don't know which folder its in. I've had a look and i've got no hospitals, petrol stations etc. listed when going through the GUI, so have I overwritten the locations for all of these when I put my custom POI file in? If I have, can I get them back?!

TIA

its best to use automatic, its much quicker and you will get camera warnings with a preset distance to the cameras or if you are speeding as you approach them, i have changed the custom poi many times and have not lost the preinstalled garmin ones, i didnt think it was possible to overwrite these
HUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. So should I see entries under 'Hospital' etc. as they are all blank. I might go for another auto install over the top again incase some settings are wrong
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you select 'where to' and then 'hotels food etc' you should have a list - near the top will be 'custom points' or something along those lines. as far as i know you can't overwrite the pre-set ones... odd that that has happened...

you should still be able to see all the pooi's when indoors - i often get the i3 ready indoors then as i walk to the car it's tracking satelliets and by the time i'm in the car and ready the route has been planned...

MaFt
Tuckerpuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fab! Thanks :D

I shall have a go tonight when I get home!

One other question for you guys - if you want to get to a town, but no specific destination within it, is there any way of doing this? My hubbie's got a TomTom and it lets you sort of just enter "Bristol, Bristol" which is really useful.

Cheers
Pamela
HUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
if you select 'where to' and then 'hotels food etc' you should have a list - near the top will be 'custom points' or something along those lines. as far as i know you can't overwrite the pre-set ones... odd that that has happened...

you should still be able to see all the pooi's when indoors - i often get the i3 ready indoors then as i walk to the car it's tracking satelliets and by the time i'm in the car and ready the route has been planned...

MaFt

Thanks, but when I select custom points, it shows your POI entries in there (from the poi file you created). If I select Fuel, food etc. it says no matches found. Where should all the default petrol locations and hospitals be?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 10 of 39

Jump to: