Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MioMap v2 Software upgrade info!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MioMap v2 Software upgrade info!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marktapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option to use the Traffic Message Channel (TMC) sounds good, trouble is it says 'ROM image higher than R16 is necessary for using the TMC feature.' - mine's R14.

Anybody got any idea if you'll be able to upgrade the image?
Ritter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read somewhere on the pages for the upgrade that it will be on the frontpage when the upgrade is avalible, which should be some time in October, but i can't find that page where I read it again Sad
micke_011
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: updated update page Reply with quote

neil and others that purchased the mio prior to july 1st, now it doesn't say anything about any date, just that the update is free until november 30th. so maybe there's hope after all..? i don't care for their new info that it's necessary to use poi warner to update poi's though, but maybe i'm just misinterpreting the information..

is it this page you're looking for, ritter?
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Common sense prevails Reply with quote

micke_011,

I think that you are right - the proceedure looks straightforward enough, but we all need to watch the site to see when the 'shop' has the upgrades available.

Well done Mitac if that is the case.

Neil
pwoodw9740
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Latest News Reply with quote

Upgrade page on Mio website now says updates will be available to order in the online shop from 1st October!

We wait with baited breath!
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Looks like MioMap 2 will be a skinned version of Navigon Mobile Navigator 5 - the navigon website gives some nice screenshots and explains the new features - what I do like is the orange route to show the road and the signposts feature - I just hope that you can switch off the software from displaying when you are exceeding a speed limit.

Also I hope that the link to the contacts application works seamlessly - especially for those that have unloacked their mios through customising the Contacts.exe file.

I guess it now is a race to see who gets the CD's first! and can tells us how smooth the upgraade is.

Neil
marktapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you do it first... just in case they fix the 'back door' customisation trick... Though i'm sure some bright spark will get it all working again if they do.
micke_011
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: firmware Reply with quote

i've noticed that the fw in my mio is 14, just as marktapp's. is there anyone who has a more recent version of it? maybe it's only on those new plus units.. did anyone hear from mio or elsewhere if there'll be a fw upgrade as well, as the tmc seems to require it. if not, i'm returning my unit to the shop, claiming i don't know what..

btw..is there anyone who had any kind of response from or dialogue with mio-tech, what so ever? i've sent them a mail or two but never even got a confirmation that they in fact received the mail.. really crappy customer treatment i think!
pwoodw9740
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MIO 260 (purchased last week) firmware has version 16.

The website states higher than v16 so dont know if will work.
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: TMC Reply with quote

The Upgrade Page says this:--

TMC Data not available in France and UK
A FM TMC receiver (sold separately) is necessary for using the TMC feature.
ROM image higher than R16 is necessary for using the TMC feature. To find out which ROM image you have, please follow the instructions offered here.

So where does it plus in to a mio ( will they sell a customised re rad to plug in to the screw thread on the back), why is the signal not available in the UK although this website has a URL of a similar TMC system running?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navigon-tmc.php

If the firmware enables this - we should politely ask Mitac if they could supply a flashing proceedure and a new ROM image.

Perhaps also for those that have unloacked their mio, a backupo copy of your original disks should be retained to allow a reverse fix if they have removed the customisation option by installing a revised version of the contacts application and load proceedure.
Regards to all

Neil
marktapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the link - an interesting read.

He said '...discovered that RDS-TMC in the UK is a commercial service ' so it may be that they start encryping it at some stage... be typical if the UK ends up being the only country in Europe that charges for it (then we probably do have the worst trafic and therefor highest demand).

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=55

Has a load on it but i've got bored and can't be bothered to see if it'll work for us or not.

Hopefully the special 'fm receiver' is just an areial (bit of wire) you can plug into the external jack - someone is bound to come up with a 10p home made jobbie if it is ;)

Must say i've backed my disks up in case i need to send em off in a week.. now, how do you back up the rom?
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: ROM Version Reply with quote

I am Release 09 - is that the lowest in the UK!
Waynester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: MIO 268 and Version 2 MioMap software for FREE ? Reply with quote

Hi everyone - I have the MIO 268 Sat Nav unit
recently went to ireland, and the version 1 software in it is Garbage, it couldn`t find half the places, and didnt recognise where i was going..
at one point it said i was in the Sea!

anyway, i just checked MIO website out and it says i can get a FREE Version 2 Upgrade for British Isles and Ireland Maps, but ONLY if i send the old CD back to them?
i bought my 268 off of Ebay for £169 and never got the software CD with it....
how do i stand with this do you think? or will i have to buy it for 49 Euros from their site?
ALSO, is it just me, but my Mio 268 seems to run out of power all the time! the battery don`t last long at all, is this normal?
how do you replace the battery for it? i notice you cant buy a battery for it from their website, any ideas?
thoughts from any other 268 users would be good please

Thanks guys

Wayne Harris

www.wayneharris.co.uk
micke_011
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi wayne.

i'm sorry to hear u don't fancy ur 268 as much as i do. i live in sweden and here it's working very nicely, except for that off the point bug that indicates roads etc. anywhere between 1 and 5 seconds to late. but part from that, i'm thrilled, i really like it, but then again..this is my first gps/navigation kit.

about the upgrade, i don't think that mio'll ship u the upgrade unless u send in your original cd, that u then haven't got. but if i were u i'd contact them..if u can, they seem really reluctant to answer any mail, but maybe u can go and see a reseller or maybe by phone? last option, couldn't u contact whomever u bought the unit from?

to be honest, i think their cd-sendin requirement is unreasonable! why wouldn't they send the cd unless u send in the old one first? because you'll go on and sell the old one? or because the gps unit is stolen property and therefore they won't give u the upgrade? bah!

btw, i checked what the shipping costs would be to have it sent to sweden and it's an outraging 40 euros. for a cd in the mail?? give me a break! it's only 14 euros to ship it to denmark! come on.. but i'll probably go for the region to europe upgrade while i'm at it, i suppose there is no better time to do it than now. and then try to convince a colleague in belgium to pick up the cd and send it to me, should save me a buck or two.

finally, as far as i know, the battery is not replacable. it doesn't last bvery long, anywhere between an hour and..3, why i might take it back to the shop for a replacement.

michael
marktapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you got it off ebay with no cd's - either it's 'been aquired' or the geezer should be able to send them to you.

My bat seems okay - got almost four hours out of it running ozi non-stop the other week. I'd be inclined to replace the bat yourself - sounds like it won't be covered by waranty anyway.

What would be nice would be a 'battery extender' power pack so you can take it for nice long walks. If anybody knows where i can get one i would be greatful.

s/w wise it seems about the same as other products (tomtom esp). They all get it a bit wrong now and again, but i always look at the map to make sure it ties up with what's being said. Would be interesting to know if other products are as bad in the same areas.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: