Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed camera's, tesco's, asda's, mcdonalds and sainsbury POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed camera's, tesco's, asda's, mcdonalds and sainsbury POI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chic wrote:

i have the programme and i can up load the ov file but cant see an option to convert to csv help please

also, if you go to 'tools' then 'batch convert' you can change a load in one go

MaFt
chic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeckoGirl wrote:
chic - if you've downloaded POIConverter v3 from the downloads page, all you need to do is "open" the file you want to convert - and it will show in the window. Then click the "save" button, and choose the file type ".CSV" in the "save as file type" dropdown at the bottom, then click "save". This will also show in the window once it's converted - happens in the blink of an eye....

hope that helps

thanks got it working now
gazthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazthomas wrote:
is there a way of getting the poi to show up as you near them ? i mean at the moment my map only shows the speed cameras/red lights cameras and none of the other custom pois..i would like it to flash up an asda etc as i near them - is this possible??

has this one slipped by without anyone noticing it? - anyone??
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazthomas..just looked at the poi excel file and both the speed camera and the macdonalds (picked this cos i like burgers) seem to have the same info..ie lat,long and name...are you sure your downloaded poi's dont show up when you approach them...
Sun4u
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this interesting website:

http://www.poidownload.co.uk/

Might be of help...
gazthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
gazthomas..just looked at the poi excel file and both the speed camera and the macdonalds (picked this cos i like burgers) seem to have the same info..ie lat,long and name...are you sure your downloaded poi's dont show up when you approach them...

yes sure - i live near a mcdonalds and pass it to and from work plus work next door to an asda - don't show at all - if i bring them up to navigate to the only time i see them is when i select the view map option - so i know the bmp file is there and working ok - just doesnt seem to have any sort of proximity warning for them...
Hyperion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea how much memory is left on the transflash card for POI's. I've added the speed cameras, Tesco, etc file, but now I've put a few more POI's in the folder I get a message on the POI loader saying not enough memory. (The file is 370kb).
I thought I'd read a thread about how much memory was available but I can't find it now.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyperion - i was told by garmin support that there's about 2mb free, i have about 500k of poi's on mine with no problems unless there's a mx size per file? dunno...

gazthomas - you can edit the csv file and put @0 at the end of each name - this will set it as a speed warning of 0mph so if you are travelling at more than 0mph it will beep at you but show up the bmp - depends if you want it beeping everytime you're near a poi...

MaFt
Hyperion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reduced the file size to 334kb & it loaded fine. Not sure what's going on, but it'll do for the moment.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one MaFt...looked at the excel files and saw that @30/@40 but didnt cop on that it meant that.....
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Proximity alert Reply with quote

gazthomas wrote:
gazthomas wrote:
is there a way of getting the poi to show up as you near them ? i mean at the moment my map only shows the speed cameras/red lights cameras and none of the other custom pois..i would like it to flash up an asda etc as i near them - is this possible??

has this one slipped by without anyone noticing it? - anyone??

If you look at the POI loader help document. it describes how to create and thw description of POIs with "proximity alerts".
RichardCr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: searching custom poi's Reply with quote

I've successfully imported some custom poi's but just one snag - you can't search for them using 'spell'. Try doing it and entering a letter and the same list appears as before in order of proximity.

It first I thought that it was because some quotation marks around the names had got included but I removed these using Excel and still the same problem.

No problem searching the Garmin POI's.

Anyone experienced the same thing or have a solution?
Big-Ed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
cheers for the link - morrisons now downloaded Smile

hmm... bit dodgy where they get their info from though Sad it'd be nice if there was a way to get the lat/long of those points we saved as 'favourites' otherwise i wouldn't know how to be able to make a poi list myself... i feel a bit tight raping all the tomtom ones converting to csv and editing to make them go on the garmin i3...

MaFt

Right im very new to all this having only got my first sat nav this week (i3).
I have about 70 sites I want to add for work, my plan is to use streetmap.co.uk to find the site and then click the "Click here to convert/measure coordinates" button below the map to get coordinates, then make my own table in excel and copy and paste them in. Will this work / be the best option?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big-Ed wrote:

I have about 70 sites I want to add for work, my plan is to use streetmap.co.uk to find the site and then click the "Click here to convert/measure coordinates" button below the map to get coordinates, then make my own table in excel and copy and paste them in. Will this work / be the best option?

have had a look at that site, cheers for the link - will be very useful!

should work ok, you need to use 3 columns (longitude, latitude and name) in excel and make sure you save it as a .csv file.

MaFt
Big-Ed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick question re symbols, once i have completed my excel layout (i will use one of the existing ones from here and just rename and change coordinates etc) how do i link that to a bmp that i have. Just a case of naming them the picture the same as the folder? ie asda.csv and asda.bmp?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: