Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DIGITOOLS POSTCODE ADD-ON FOR TOMTOM
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DIGITOOLS POSTCODE ADD-ON FOR TOMTOM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SIMGILPAT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: DIGITOOLS POSTCODE ADD-ON FOR TOMTOM Reply with quote

Does anyone have the installation instructions for this prog, as Digitools site has been closed down?
Lorax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

copied from another thread...

Step One
First of all you need to download and unzip the release into a temporary location. The full package is a large download (11.5MB) which includes the initial release of the database, so be patient if your link is slow.

The zip file contains five files: ukpostcode.dat which is the database, ukpostcode.exe which is the application used for the look-up, setup.exe which installs the TomTom hook, TTNControl.ini which controls the install, and TTNControl.arm.CAB which is the actual interface to TTN.

Step Two
Place your PocketPC in the cradle and connect to the PC using ActiveSync.

Step Three
Note that if you've already got CheckPOInt installed you don't need to complete this step. CheckPOInt will already have installed the necessary TTN support files. Simply carry on from step four.

Use Windows Explorer to copy the 'TTNControl.arm.cab' file to the 'My Documents' folder on your PPC. Then, using File Explorer on the PPC, locate this .cab file and double tap to install it. The .cab file will self delete following installation.

Step Four
Use Windows Explorer to browse your PocketPC. Locate your storage card, create a folder called 'ukpostcode' on the storage card and copy ukpostcode.exe and ukpostcode.dat to it. It is important that the .exe file is in the same folder on the PocketPC as the .dat file, or it won't work.

Finally, create a shortcut to ukpostcode.exe and drag it to the "Windows\Start Menu\Programs" folder on the PocketPC (don't drop it in \windows\programs - it won't appear anywhere). This allows you to use the usual PocketPC method to attach ukpostcode to one of your hardware keys, or make it appear in your main menu. Having it hooked to one of the hardware keys is a particularly convenient way of accessing the program when TomTom is running.

Using the program
Simply start the ukpostcode program using the shortcut you created in step four above, from your start menu. Type in a postcode and click on either "Show on map" or "Navigate to", as appropriate. If all is well, TTN should automatically pop up in either map mode or navigator mode.

---------------------------------------------

Lorax
SIMGILPAT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: DIGITOOLS POSTCODE FOR TOMTOM Reply with quote

Thanks Lorux - great help.
Now find I am missing setup.exe and ukpostcode.exe. Any idea where I can download these?
Lorax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me.

Lorax
Lorax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent a few people a few PMs but had no response. So either you guys dont check your PM or you no longer need what you asked me for.

To everyone else, your are better off posting in this thread than PMing me. That way others may also be able to help.

Lorax
pach
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be a noob whose first contribution is a begging post but....

Does anyone have UKpostcode which they could share via YouSendIt or something similar (that way other people who want it could also download it at the same time as me)?

I only switched over from a SonyClie to PPC two weeks ago, mainly so I could use TomTom (as mapsonic was so unreliable running on a Clie), and although I've tried EDonkey I'm yet to get this program downloaded yet (annoying stuck at something like 78%!!)

Help would be much appreciated!
P.
mbenz1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mumsaway.talktalk.net/files/

pasted from another topic

works a treat
Lincslad
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: ukpostcode Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect this, but the link above doesn't seem to work any more, and I have lost my ukpostcode files. Embarassed

Can anyone help please?
dice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ukpostcode Reply with quote

Lincslad wrote:
Sorry to resurrect this, but the link above doesn't seem to work any more, and I have lost my ukpostcode files. Embarassed

Can anyone help please?

PM me with email address I might be able to help Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small tip, change the exe file to read only before you run it, that way it can't delete it so you can re-install on the road away from the pc if need be - mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
A small tip, change the exe file to read only before you run it, that way it can't delete it so you can re-install on the road away from the pc if need be - mike

That should be the '.cab' file not the '.exe' file?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I got that one wrong but I was away from the PC in the pub using the wireless setup - thanks for the correction - Mike
dice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ukpostcode Reply with quote

dice wrote:
Lincslad wrote:

Can anyone help please?

PM me with email address I might be able to help Smile

No PM no help Rolling Eyes
drownedrat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Yet another request Reply with quote

PDA just lost this software & wondered if anyone can spare a copy. Didn't want to PM people unsolicited.

Just looked at the digitools site & the reason it went seems dodgy. From memory you can't copyright databases or tables of pure info. OS probably know this but also know how much it would cost someone to prove it in court. Annoying when companies use might is right.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another request Reply with quote

drownedrat wrote:
From memory you can't copyright databases or tables of pure info.

That's incorrect. They cannot prevent you from compiling your own database so long as you don't use theirs as the source of the data. They can prevent you from using data sourced from their database which is what they've done.

No different from BT and the telephone directory.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: