Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTG Security Concerns
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTG Security Concerns
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: TTG Security Concerns Reply with quote

I've had one of the TTG 300 for a couple of months now and have been very happy with it. However yesterday my car got broken into and the TTG stolen Evil or Very Mad

A couple of points

* the last time I had a car broken into I was at College - 20 years ago
* the TTG unit was in the glove box, which was unlocked - although I suspect if it hadn't been locked I now would have no glove box as well as no window Sad
* the TTG mount was on the windscreen - that was also removed with such force that it pulled the central top part of the console(gearbox unit) away from its mounts - luckily it clipped back
* the car was in a very visible car park which had CCTV - though I suspect it would have missed the sweep and the break in occured during the day in good visibility

So i've now got the debate should I get one again, or should I go for a unit that would be easier to take out of the car (if so any recommendations). If I do get a TTG300 again should I remove the mount as well everytime I park as it is obviously a beacon for low lifes to take a grab at the car. What do others do - really is a huge concern as the unit has zero security.

On a side note I have emailed Tom Tom to ask them if they are able to now mark the units registration as stolen so hopefully it will turn up again - anyone have experience in this, i'm surprised Tom Tom don't push this aspect to pretty much make the unit unsaleable.

Tals
Gus607
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving the mounting bracket on full view is like saying " come on Mr scumbag I've got a TT GO somewhere in my car & won't be too hard to find." Never ever leave the bracket on show.
I had my GO nicked a couple of weeks ago while I was filling up at a local petrol station, all nicely captured on CCTV but the Scum don't give a toss because if they get caught what happens to them ?? F**K ALL.
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Sorry about your lost Reply with quote

Yes I always take my bracket of the windscreen eachtime I get out of the car and put my TT5 in my trouses or coat pocket what would be a good good idea and easy you should be able to do a password feature on the consol. Not sure why thay did not do this in the first place, hoping they will do an update to this soon as it so poperler
Good luck, yes I would wait for an answer from Tom tom support first
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the TT5 a typo? The TTG doesn't really lend itself to being placed in either a coat or trouser pocket. I always wondered why they didn't set it so effectively the front (flat part) of the unit didn't detact making the unit useless and providing an easy item to place in a pocket etc.

Tals
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess that I leave the TTG 300 mount on the windscreen when out of the car only because I find it a chore to keep removing it each time I leave the car.

If only Tomtom as has been suggested would password protect the unit so it would be rendered useless to any would be thief.

I have at present my name postcode & phone number on the splash screen which at least if the police recover the unit they can trace it back to me, that is assuming the thief does not know how to remove the splash screen.

Surely as with mobile phones the unit could be deactivated if stolen by Tomtom.
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get another one I will definitely be removing the suction mount each time I leave the car - really is a heap of trouble:

* excess for glass damage
* excess for replacement unit

As well as having a vehicle that is effectively only able to use for essential journeys at the moment.

If Tom Tom had a trackable serial number on there main site for people purchasing them second hand that would at least be something. I'll post any response they give - at a min if they are able to mark the item as stolen and flag it if anyone then enquires about that product code it does to a large extent make the unit pretty much worthless (unless he is planning to use it himself) - whether the thief realises how trackable these items could be is another matter which again TTG should be making a lot of publicity about with there increase in popularity.

Another possible way would be to have sites like here have the registration number as a requirement - that would possibly reduce piracy etc.

Tals
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have when removing the mount, and I'm sure other people have the same problem is when you have the external aerial fitted.
It is impossible for me to remove as the wiring (including the screw connector) is now hidden in the dashboard Sad .
Surely if TomTom had fitted the screw connector to the base and not on a flylead it would have made removal so much easier.

Steve
Cats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue was a concern to me when purchasing my TTG. After looking at possible alternative ways of easily mounting the TTG I decided on Velcro pads on the dash bottom of the TTG without the mount attached. I can move the TTG from my car to the wife’s with easy, the unit is smaller without the mount and I’m not advertising the fact I have a possible TT in the car.
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the same problem as Steve, It took a lot of time to hide the cable from the external aerial & cannot be removed each time I leave the car.
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats wrote:
This issue was a concern to me when purchasing my TTG. After looking at possible alternative ways of easily mounting the TTG I decided on Velcro pads on the dash bottom of the TTG without the mount attached. I can move the TTG from my car to the wife’s with easy, the unit is smaller without the mount and I’m not advertising the fact I have a possible TT in the car.

That is an excellent idea, when I get the replaced one - hopefully my budget will handle it with the excess Sad I will adopt this solution.

All in all was a real eye opener - this car park was an amusement parks one, with the relevant security etc and was very open and in clear daylight.

Tals
dill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom Go is no different than any other pierce of expensive equipment, would you leave a camera or wallet on show in your car.
Common sense is all that is required to keep your goods safe.
If you don’t want it then let some scumbag pinch it, you only have yourself to blame.
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dill wrote:
The TomTom Go is no different than any other pierce of expensive equipment, would you leave a camera or wallet on show in your car.
Common sense is all that is required to keep your goods safe.
If you don’t want it then let some scumbag pinch it, you only have yourself to blame.

Did you read the thread properly - have another read then comment Smile

Quote:

* the TTG unit was in the glove box, which was unlocked - although I suspect if it hadn't been locked I now would have no glove box as well as no window

There that help.

And yeah i'm mad Evil or Very Mad

Tals
dill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry that you had your Go stolen, no one has the right to steal your belongings, but you did say that you left the mount on the windscreen. A thief would assume that there was a good chance that the go would be left in the car some where.

I have had a Go for about a Year and I never leave the mount on the windscreen, and I never leave the Go in the car. It’s a pain but its the only 100 percent way to stop it being stolen.

I wasn’t having a go at you in my last post, as you do have my sympathy.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must agree it vital that you don't leave the mount in the screen however inconvienient.

I never leave the mount on the screen and even make sure there is no tell tale circle on the screen.

Always take TT with me tend to use a bum bag as it means your not having to carry it all the time.
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies the reason for my frustration is in reality keeping the mount stowed is very inconvenient (its a pretty sizeabe object) - the TTG is bad enough being a rather large round shape. I do think the velcro is possibly the best solution and maybe storing the TTG somewhere other than the glovebox.

Taking the Go out is a possibility - but these things are meant to add to convenience not increase them. Maybe if Tom Tom put a little more effort into the security aspect (removable front screen would be an instant one) or as others have said hard coded password then we wouldn't have have to go to quite so much effort.

Tals

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: