Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Off Line Traffic News - Traffic POIs for TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Line Traffic News - Traffic POIs for TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordiegord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Proxy settings Reply with quote

Hi Richard

I have successfully loaded the app and sussed from the thread here that the proxy server needs setting up. I have done that but my proxy (at work) requires authentication. How can I enter passwords/id's etc?

Below is a copy of an error log

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/tpeg/en/local/rtm/sussex_tpeg.xml
--------------------------------
The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.
--------------------------------

Many thanks
Cujo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogbreath wrote:
Cujo,

Did you do a re-boot after the changes, as this should now work?

It's only IE6 settings that need changing, Firefox is ok as is.

The 0kb means it's not connecting, your almost there!

Pete

Cheers Pete, now working well :D Looks as if killing my username & password in ie (even though I use Firefox) + reboot and re-entering details worked.
oka97
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr Sutcliffe,

I'm sure pocketgpsworld would let you go down the ASP.NET root, if they run their website off Apache you can easily schedule the execution of an ASP.NET script every so often, no need for a service!

If it's IIS (unlikely) then you'll need to see your options.

The first thing we need to figure out is if pocketgpsworld will give provide u with space, have u asked?

Good luck!!!

rsutcliffe wrote:
Thanks to everyone for all your feedback so far. I am looking to set up a website in the near future so I can host the ASP.NET version of this application.

For the technically minded amongst you, how I do this is down to the level of control I can get on the server.

The first, and preferable way would be to have OTN run as a service and regularly update a main database - this would allow me to do much more in the way of deduplicating data.

Unfortunately such control comes at a price I cannot afford, therefore I will probably have to settle with caching the data for each individual feed that the BBC currently provide.

Failing that I would look to create a project on sourceforge.org and make the ASP.NET version open source, using some licensing to protect IP.

Any thoughts?
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: OTN on a web server Reply with quote

Ok just for fun and proof of concept heres a link to my 'garage' Linux server with the traffic update file once an hour.

http://malpass.ng.iego.net/otn/offlinetrafficnews.ov2

All i have done is set up a schedule to copy the ov2 file to my linux webserver. This wont be online for long as i have another use for the server and im sure it will get trashed if i leave it on for too long.

There are so many possibilities for this project and it all depends on how Ricard wants to take it.

1. As its really an 'Offline' product then updating before you leave home/office and generally easily available internet connectivity then its fine. It might be nice to have it work like Avant Go and integrate into Activesync?

2. If though, you have some kind of link such as wifi or limited dialup then it could turn into a PPC app in its own right that could then access the net and do all the work on the PPC. So OTN could do a one off internet download and crunch the data into a ov2 file. ideally reloads this into TT5?

3. You could even go the whole hog and get the Tomtom SDK and plug in your own traffic replacement. but this might be going a bit far.

While its a nice solution (Free!!) i havent actually looked at the value of the BBC data. However, reading about TPEG it does look like a good standard and maybe one that might fly?

Has anyone looked at the ITIS data from the www.getmethere.co.uk site? This is nice to look at but only viewable on a PC. Shame this dtat isnt available in TPEG format.......
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Has anyone looked at the ITIS data from the www.getmethere.co.uk site? This is nice to look at but only viewable on a PC. Shame this dtat isnt available in TPEG format......."

Err.. you've just got to know where to look cos it is, along with Route 66 and Trafficmaster.

Re bandwidth - the way Infomatics is setup the client is mobile. Now when this client connects up it tells the server where it is and only grabs the data needed.

This data can be as little as 10k a shot there for very quick. And because it compreses all the data in to a standard set of text no mater which feeds you have selected its easy to translate.

Even better because oyu have this two way communication you are able to access live data in your area and even setup a tracking / messaging system just like co-pilot.

... doing it this way does not limit the type of data - this means you can have weather, traffic and even the speed camera data base - its all about seting the right conversion up and then creating a selectable feed to choose what you want as the end user - you could even integrate the speed camera BD - another reason to suggest hosting here.

No more updating every so offen - you know it the latest cos its checking live - you can even upload live new cameras to be checked given the right coding behind it.

The server coding will be released some time soon as Sourceforge for all and its all in PHP so should be easy to intergrate on most sites.

Richard,

If you fancy having a long chat about all of this ( and the same goes to the admins ) - PM me and I'll let you know my MSN ID.

Terran
eversonl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Proxy settings Reply with quote

gordiegord wrote:
Hi Richard

I have successfully loaded the app and sussed from the thread here that the proxy server needs setting up. I have done that but my proxy (at work) requires authentication. How can I enter passwords/id's etc?

Many thanks

gordiegord,
you can usually do this by using http://username:password@proxy:port

however, if your proxy works accross multiple domains then you would need to specify the doamin as part of you username.

Thats is my problem, when using http://domain\username:password@proxy:port (which I think is how it should be, I get
Quote:

Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed..

any proxy gurus out there?
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some diagrams showing the early concept... there is more done at the server ( web ) end now than on the local client but it should give you an idea.

The thery was - raw data in, a standard format for all out... this ment that ANY platform could use it as long as the client supported and followed that standard. In otherwords if you dont like the client or there is not one... make on.

Like I said you can take feeds from TPEG, DOT ( which is better and includes some cameras ) and loads of other places...

IMG]http://www.photodump.com/direct/ccsnet/TMCAppDisplayFlow.jpg[/IMG]

Terran

BTW I share these with the community for nothing - any one caught coping and charging will know about it....[/img]
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordiegord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Proxy settings Reply with quote

Proxy settings

Thanks for that eversonl

I have tried both versions of this and get the same results too.

Can anyone help with the correct sytax for the proxy URL to include domains, ID's and passwords?

Thanks
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of setting up a website and will post the new version (0.3) - which now allows you to enter proxy credentials.

I'll post as soon as my domain is up and running.
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version can now be downloaded from:
http://www.delphi-dolphin.com/downloads/OfflineTrafficNewsSetup.zip
eversonl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the update. However, proxy still not working. Dosn't even appear to take any notice of the values entered

still get error
Quote:
The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, as stated I don't access the internet via a proxy, so I am unable to test this fully.

I have tested against a number of freely available proxy servers, however appreciate test conditions may not be complete.

Can anyone else confirm that the proxy settings are not working? I will continue to try and fix this as quickly as possible.

Also, for those of you who are having success, can you let me know what devices you are running on (Palm, Go, Orange SPV, etc)?
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised I'm not accounting for proxy domain.

eversonl - do you need to enter a domain in your current proxy settings for IE?
SharpEye
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: System Info Reply with quote

Generally I am having sucess using OTN. The sytem is.....

Activsync 3.8

HP2210

TomTom V3

XP Pro on an Evesham 2ghz computer

Connecting on a works network via a proxy server (no authentication required) on to an 512 adsl connection.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: