Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera POI's for the new version of Mapsonic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera POI's for the new version of Mapsonic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cacus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Any chance of someone emailing me a copy of the MapSonic Speed Camera POI. for version 2.5 / 3

Cheers
Steve

stevewhiteley@btinternet.com
mistert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in an earlier post, you can download the speed camera database off the www.pocketgpsworld.com front page and upload them to your PDA. There is NO need to request them on this topic.

Admin : Perhaps we should "PIN" instructions on how to do this on this thread?
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Adding Speed Camera data to Mapsonic v2.5 and higher Reply with quote

As suggested by MisterT here are the instructions as to how to add the pocketgps camera data to Mapsonic v2.5 and higher

A Download files from pocketgps

B Using MS Paint resize the icons for each of the file types to 16x16 pixels (72% scaling seems to achieve this in Image/Stretch-Skew) you may want to then edit the image to reintroduce some white to the inside of the camera. I have used colour to differentiate between the different types of device –White for Gatso, Red for SPECS and so on.

C In Mapstore add the new POI classifications and assign the appropriate graphics file. DO NOT DO THIS IN MAPSONIC ON THE PDA
The above two processes are only required the first time you do this

D Using POIEdit (downloadable from http://www.dnote.nl/pda/poi/PoiEdit) convert the POI file to a POI ASCII file (open it in POIEdit and then choose Save As)

E Using POIManager import the POI files. It will ask you to synchronise after adding each file but click cancel and you can add other files so that you do all of the imports in one go. Note that the POI files have to reside on the PDA and not on the memory card to work. This process also copies over the graphic files associated with the POIs. You do not need to copy them over to the PDA

F If you wish to download an updated file you repeat the above POIEdit/POIManager proces,s (D and E above).
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistert wrote:

Admin : Perhaps we should "PIN" instructions on how to do this on this thread?

How about nailing them to the requesters foreheads :-)

I just downloaded the August update, and see the download now includes asc format files, so anyone who has even minimal computer skills should be able to do this themselves.

If not maybe they could just buy the AA roadmap which I see now has speed camera's shown on paper :-)
mistert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully we won't get anymore requests now :D

I have one more.. I uploaded the entire database in a single file, but now I want to upload the individual files in have different POI categories for SPECS, GATSO etc. but I can't figure out how to delete the original POI category. There is no option in the software, I can only assume you have to delete something from the pda memory but I don't know what.

Anyone know?
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the pda you will find a a file called xxx.poi where xxx is whatever you called the speed camera data. Simply delete it and then proceed with creating the new categories, althoiugh I am not too sure if this deletes the category but if all fails you can simply not display it or set it for POI-W as there is no data. If you delete the xxx.poi file in Mapstore then you can suppress the POI (edit/types of POI) and syncing may remove it although I don't know.

I have used the five main categories for some time, however the limitation of a 16x16 icon means it is difficult to see the difference when driving. For this reason I have decide not to move to speed limit based categories

Hope this helps
mistert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask you what you are using to delete the xxx.poi off the PDA? The palm os only seems to let you delete applications, not individual files.
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sony Clie and there is a facilty there called "Clie Files" which allows you to copy/move/delete any file on the Clie. If you don't have the equivalent of that facility in the standard Palm 5 os then could you move the file to a memory card and then delete it with the card plugged into a card reader?

I also had a look on versiontracker and found this utility. I can't vouch for it but it may help http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/palm/3242
mistert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I followed the link and downloaded the software. This gave me the ability to explore the files on the pda and delete the .poi files. Now I can tell the difference between a SPECS and a GATSO.
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a utility called filez which allows you to list/rename/move/delete files from both internal memory and SD card.

Its freeware and I downloaded it from:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml

I have used it for several useful things with mapsonic, deleting the language files for spanish/italian/french/dutch etc which saves memory.

Also, I move the voice prompts I don't want to hear (.snd files) to a folder on the SD card - mapsonic emits a fairly quiet beep when it can't find the file, but it means I don't get annoying announcements (leave roundabout!!) - and I can move any back if I want them again !!

A very neat and free utility I would recommend to anyone who doesn't have something similar built in (like the Clie stuff described above).
Batchpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda, I have finally got round to updating the software to version 3. Could you let me know how/where to download the database for uk speed cameras and is it easy for a novice to set up?

If anyone has the database file please email a copy to batchpad@talk21.com

Thanks.

Honda wrote:
No 1.3 can't import POI's, you are stuck with the ones in the software.
As per previous response to your other post, it really is worth upgrading to Navigation as the maps are more up to date, you have the benefit of finger tip icons on the Palm and you can import the POIs. There will be an upgrade path for Navigation as well. MapSonic 1.3 is a dead end I am afraid.
mistert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh!

Please read this thread, a few messages up.
Batchpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK

Which version of the files do I need? XLS or CSV?

mistert wrote:
Doh!

Please read this thread, a few messages up.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the .asc version. It's a while since I had to convert them to .asc but there are instructions elseewahere in the 4 pages of this thread. A freeware prograame called POI Edit does the job in a click or two. I thoroughly recommend going through this thread from top to bottom. That's how I figured it all out.
Batchpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I will give it a try

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: