Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database as Garmin POI map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database as Garmin POI map
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiRED wrote:
The Safety Camera POI map for Garmin GPSRs has now been updated to v3.084 of the database. It can be downloaded from: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright /WiRED

I've missed a trick here (which is not unusual) Embarassed If I follow your link for v3.084 above the website talks only about v 3.074.2 and when I download it remains at 3.074.2 as I've already got. Crying or Very sad
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried it now and I got 3.084.1 so it works OK for me. Confused

Try going to the website then pressing control (or maybe shift) then the reload button on your browser. You might be getting an old cached version of the web page.

I'll followup to the forum, maybe other people have some ideas. Confused
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Try going to the website then pressing control then the reload button on your browser. You might be getting an old cached version of the web page.

At the Wired website whilst looking at v3.074.2 I pressed ctrl & F5 and the page magically changed to v3.084.

I've heard of this...but don't understand Confused

Thanks Skippy Smile Smile Smile
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPL wrote:
At the Wired website whilst looking at v3.074.2 I pressed ctrl & F5 and the page magically changed to v3.084.

Ahhh. When you hit a web page your browser saves a copy of the page on your hard disk. If you return to the page, it uses some smoke and mirrors to figure out if you already have a copy of the web page and it can do one of several things including:

Use the cached version (which is what happened) OR Check for a new version and download it if it has been modified (which is what should have happened).

All's well that ends well. 8)
HDRW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wired,

Thanks for putting in the effort - it's a great benefit to us of the Great Unwashed! I just loaded it into my trusty StreetPilot III, and on a quick look the red blobs do tend to blend in with the colour of main roads a bit - I'll report back when I've used it on the road in anger, and if it is a problem I'll try the orange option.

I've always used the "Scenic" icon for cameras that I've marked myself (because it's a stand-out cyan in colour, and it's a camera symbol!) so it will take a bit more careful watching of the screen to spot your blobs, I think.

I have to say I found the instructions on using Mapsource a bit sparse, and it took me some time to work out what to do to add your "map" to the list, but I got there in the end! Smile

Thanks again!

Howard
GDW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long is it taking everyone to install this application? to a quest to be more precise.
GDW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed about 5 seconds once I realised.
blakeroad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiRED I've just downloaded the camera dBase a Garmin GPSMap 276C and it worked a dream.

You are truely gifted :D

Smoothly through the installer, map source and onto the unit via USB to it's memory/storage card (not sure which it ended up on).

Thank you for offering the help that Garmin fail to! Great tool

My next adventure is to get the proximity alerts working, if i work it out I'll post it.

Graham
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeroad wrote:
My next adventure is to get the proximity alerts working, if i work it out I'll post it.

Graham

To get the 'proximity alerts' to work from the 'overlay' will be of great interest!!???

Is it possible?
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Safety Camera POI map for Garmin GPSRs has now been updated to v3.094 of the database.

It can be downloaded from:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright

/WiRED
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Wired. Great as ever.
Bobbie009
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Some questions Reply with quote

WIRED
I agree with HDRW about the colour and was thinking of trying the orange myself. Like him I previously used the scenic cyan coloured camera symbol on my SPIII which is really clear.
I have a question which may sound stupid; you say the overlay is transparent. On my Mapsource European City Navigator 5 I can either view the normal map or I can view the camera sites but only on a white background with no mapping. When I download to my SPIII I can only see the camera locations when the scal is set to 0.8 miles or lower. Do I have a glitch somewhere or is this normal.
Finally how do you inform someone about cameras that are not on the overlay ie new ones?

Sorry this seems a bit whingy but let me assure you that the work you are doing is really brill.
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BOBBY009,

Glad you like the map.

The transparency feature does only work on a GPS, and not with MapSource. With MapSource you have to select your map product to display, and there's no way to select more than one. So, no, you are doing it right.

I did set the map to not display the cameras at less than a certain magnification, otherwise all you see is a screen full of red dots and you can't work out where you are. On my Streetpilot 2610 I can control the amount of Map Detail with a menu setting. In "Normal" mode the cameras are displayed at 12m zoom, but not at 20m or higher. I can change this Map Detail setting from Normal to Less, Least, More or Most. I don't know if the SPIII has an equivalent setting, but if it has, you can use this to control when the cameras appear.

To get new cameras added yto the map, submit them to PocketGPSWorld using their normal procedures. I get a fresh database from them every month, and create the map from that.

WiRED
Bobbie009
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to WIRED Reply with quote

WIRED

Thanks for your reply. I tried changing the detail on my SPIII from more to most and this enabled me to see the camera locations at 1.2 miles but no further. This is an improvement on the 0.8 miles I had previously. I will send a few new camera locations to the PocketGPSWorld site as you suggested. By the way have you considered changing the colour of the red gatsos as they merge into the red roads at the scale the SPIII works on? (Cyan would be good)
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to WIRED Reply with quote

Bobbie009 wrote:
By the way have you considered changing the colour of the red gatsos as they merge into the red roads at the scale the SPIII works on? (Cyan would be good)

When making the map I have to choose from a table of existing Garmin Points of Interest. I currently use nautical beacons as they would be unlikely to be used for anything else on a road map. There is no such thing as a cyan beacon. Only around 7 colours are available, and I can't use yellow, white, black or violet as they disappear against the background, at least on the 2610, Quest and some other units I have seen. I've played with various options and red or orange seem to work best on most units. Can you send me a screenshot of your SPIII? E-mail it to "walter dot wright at gmail dot com" if you can.

/WiRED

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: