Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wrong instruction, right map direction!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrong instruction, right map direction!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Britannia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Wrong instruction, right map direction! Reply with quote

Hi

I have had my TomTom 300 for a few days and love it!

One thing which I has confused me ... when I set off for work I come to a local smallish roundabout (it isn't a mini-roundabout), upon arriving at the roundabout "Jane" tells me to turn left and keep left and doesn't mention any exits when in fact I have to take the 2nd exit off this roundabout which is practically all the way round - the direction on the map is correct, but Jane tells me different!

If I wasn't familiar with this roundabout I would have been totally confused.

Any idea why this happens?
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the map data doesn't know about the roundabout at all and the data for the junction is wrong.

I've had only one error like this Jone tells me to take the third exit of a roundabout I use regularly, when in fact its the second and the map shows the second exit.
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have to watch the map. In Holland last week returning to Europort the voice says bear left but the map showed bear right - and as the motorway signs also showed Europort as a right fork I did that.

In Milton Keynes the voice tells you to keep right when the map (correctly) shows the exit on the left (obviously!). In every case I have found the map to be reliable but occasionally the voice gets their right and left mixed up. And it's not just Jane, Tim does it as well!!!!
Patrick_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old_Phil wrote:

And it's not just Jane, Tim does it as well!!!!

Jane's having a BLONDE moment....
Tim is bound to do the same, it will be the same data.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old_Phil wrote:
You do have to watch the map. In Holland last week returning to Europort the voice says bear left but the map showed bear right - and as the motorway signs also showed Europort as a right fork I did that.

In Milton Keynes the voice tells you to keep right when the map (correctly) shows the exit on the left (obviously!). In every case I have found the map to be reliable but occasionally the voice gets their right and left mixed up. And it's not just Jane, Tim does it as well!!!!

Oh this brings back such fond memories of Infomap Navigator, glad to hear I haven't left it all behind.
anchor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some faults with the instructions on my TomTom 700 whilst touring France this summer. A few times, the voice said turn left, when the screen clearly showed turn right, (or vice versa). Sometimes, there was no alternative. On two or three occasions the instructions took me off a motorway exit, only to immediately return me back on, to continue on the same motorway.
michaelh85
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me on Friday and Sunday pulling into Tamworth services. The voice told me to go left on the roundabout - 1st exit (it was actually third)
Presumably because their was a newish looking industrial estate on the same roundabout which evidently hasn't been mapped yet
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

New user to this forum, found it very interesting and useful so far...Laughing Out Loud.

Just thought I would add as I have just moved up from Laptop GPS to a TTG300.

I have the same problem apart from the odd occasion where it trys to send me the wrong way down a one way street, I have also had the right direction but wrong voice prompt a couple of times now.I use it mainly in London and the one way street (Camden High Road) is hardly a new change. So I am a little concerned, but should add it has, So far, way less errors than my previous maps on the laptop.

Really impressed with the unit though, and looking forward to contributing to this forum in the future.

BFN

Dave
HOG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found two weird instructions which I have just learned to live with.

Drive to the end of the A14 to join the M1. Jane says in 500 yards make a u turn then take the motorway rather than in 500 yards turn left, keep right, turn right, turn left.

Drive on the A45 to the M1 junction roundabouts heading for Stony Stratford. Jane says make a u turn, turn left, etc etc etc instead of the correct directions to cross both roundabouts
alanparrott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody should be aware of the M4/A34 junction this has changed recently and the TTN5 map at this point is so wrong I am struggling to work out what is wrong.

Basically if you are travelling on the M4 or A34 thru the junction then there are no turns necessary, however if going from one to the other then read the signs!!

Cheers, Alan

PS I do this (A34N > M4E) once a week so I will try and work out what is wrong.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: