Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera's...Worth the hassle?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera's...Worth the hassle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gazza44
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera's...Worth the hassle? Reply with quote

Hi all
Been reading all the posts on installing speed camera database and there still seems to be a lot of teething problems. i.e.system crashes/loosing the voice prompts randomly/ just not working etc.....

Firstly, have the probs been sorted out yet or is it something you have to live with in TT5?

Secondly, if worth it, is POIEdit the way to go or do it manually via Activesync?

Finally, Checkpoint? Is this a program on PC or PDA and I asume (from what I've read) this allows you greater control in fine tuning prompts etc, Plus, installing an older version because its more stable than the newer one. Whats all that about?...

Thanks
Garry
Masked-Marauder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Checkpoint on my PDA for a few days now and it is excellent. Not only do you get a warning that the camera is ahead, but also if you are exceeding the speed set for the camera you get an additional warning about that too.

Only drawback is the database is not as comprehensive as the Pocket GPS one, but you can use the Pocket GPS on apparently, just I don't really know how as it is showing as no icons, but then I don't need them as TomTom will show them anyway.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera's...Worth the hassle? Reply with quote

Gazza44 wrote:
Hi all
Been reading all the posts on installing speed camera database and there still seems to be a lot of teething problems. i.e.system crashes/loosing the voice prompts randomly/ just not working etc.....

Firstly, have the probs been sorted out yet or is it something you have to live with in TT5?

I haven't encountered any problems whatsoever, but then I haven't tried anything other than the basis bells.

Quote:

Secondly, if worth it, is POIEdit the way to go or do it manually via Activesync?

Just copy the files across using activesync (via windows), if you can copy files from one place to another then you can do it easily. It's about the easiest thing it's possible to do!

Quote:

Finally, Checkpoint? Is this a program on PC or PDA and I asume (from what I've read) this allows you greater control in fine tuning prompts etc, Plus, installing an older version because its more stable than the newer one. Whats all that about?...

Don't worry about Checkpoint for now. It allows you to do extra stuff but try the inbuilt TomTom stuff first.
BarMuda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using tom tom alerts to display the speed cams, but checkpoit warns me (using the pocket gps world poi's) checkpoint is better for alerting you as it gives you the first warning 30 seconds before and then another 10 secs before the camera, by calculating the speed you are travelling and giving you the appropriate warning. Checkpoint also has unique customisable sounds so its easy to figure out which poi is being triggered just by listening to it allowing you to keep your eyes on the road.

I found that if you use the checkpoint POI's by syncing with the ones on their website, then checkpoint takes ages to load (between 1 and 5 mins). So use checkpoint with the Pocket GPS world databases and DO NOT SYNC !!!

The reason i use both tom tom alert & and checkpoint , is that if you display the speed cam poi's it makes the navigation slow and jerky. however, if you hide them and add them to the poi alert they will still be displayed during navigation but the screen scrolls smoothly.

To answer your question another way... to not be notified of a speed cam is more hassle than setting tom tom !!! 5 mins is nothing compared to possibley losing your licence !

Mazda MX5 1.8IS Second Edition
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarMuda wrote:

The reason i use both tom tom alert & and checkpoint , is that if you display the speed cam poi's it makes the navigation slow and jerky. however, if you hide them and add them to the poi alert they will still be displayed during navigation but the screen scrolls smoothly.

You don't need checkpoint for that. Just set warnings for the cameras but don't enable them on the map.
BarMuda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what i do. Sorry, i didnt make that clear. But with checkpoint you get the 30 sec and 10 secs warnings.

Mazda MX5 1.8IS Second Edition

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: