Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - To converge or not to converge...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

To converge or not to converge...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajhscott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: To converge or not to converge... Reply with quote

Just interested in others thoughts and experience; I'm contemplating purhcasing either TomTom 5 (Bluetooth) to run on my MDA Compact or the Mio 269.

I need UK and European maps but the main thing I'm interested in is how others find using their phone/PDA in the car as their GPS device?

Is it better to have separate devices (I'm usually a convergence fan hence the MDA compact) - to have a device solely for navigation - screen size, can use the phone separately, etc.

All views/thoughts/experience welcome.

Thanks
spangelsaregreat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I use TT5 with my MDA Compact without any problems.

The screen is a good size and voice prompts are loud enough to be heard over engine noise (you can connect the device to your car stereo using a tape or FM adapter if you want to play it through your stereo for more volume).

I have basic Halfords windscreen attached holder but a vent mounted unit would work just as well (I have a Skoda Octavia and the vents are a bit fragile for vent mounts).

I use a £50 eBay bought GPS unit which works fine with both TT5 and Memory Map (for use on my mountainbike).

Battery life is okay. I get about 4 to 5 hours of continious use out of the MDA Compact when using it on the bike. Obviously in the car I can use the charger but I rarely do to be honest unless it is a long journey or I am going to be using the GPS on the bike afterwards. The BT receiver has simliar battery run times.

Convergence is the way ahead. I am sure in a year or two most PDA phones will have GPS built in.

Regards
spangelsaregreat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention about the phone usage.

I do have a slight problem in that I get a bit of interference in my BT headset if I use it at the same time as the BT GPS. I am not a big phone user in the car so it is not a big problem.

I am not sure if this is a one off or if others have similar problems.

Regards
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the O2XDAIIs which as yet is still running their (supplied ROM) software, I have found it most reliable using a BT headset for the phone aspect and a cabled GPS unit for the sat nav, not sure if the compact will accept serial devices though.
Overall as a single device to do all tasks it works for me I had some problems at first (compounded by a faulty handset) but I now love the devices capability when out and about on the road, in the fells or even the pub / hotels - (still stay connected to the internet wherever you are) - Mike
ajhscott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I know the latest HP has a built in GPS receiver so it seems to be the way to go.

How about the MDA Compact screen size? Does this work OK? Come to think of it - does TomTom 5 support landscape?

Still not really decided - also quite like the fact you can access the Mio 269's OS (being a MobilePro 900c owner....) and the fact they're releasing a free update in October (which will probably thwart the hacking!).

Input appreciated....

Cheers

Andrew
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhscott wrote:
Come to think of it - does TomTom 5 support landscape?

It does.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: