Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom: Trading Standards Petition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom: Trading Standards Petition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbartlett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT5 is slow to respond. I missed several turns today because it failed to keep up with my driving. it seems to drift off the road far far more than TT3 ever did..

I don't know if it's a TT problem or palm as maybe it's a bit like running XP on a 486 -whatever the case I shall be going back to TT3 for my palm as soon as I can .

cheers

richard

p.s tomtom hasn't replied to my email regarding the refund.
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing catch up here.

rbartlett wrote:

p.s tomtom hasn't replied to my email regarding the refund.

I noticed you had trouble with the IBAN entry on the TomTom refund page.

IBANs ( International Bank Account Numbers ) are now required for all cross border bank transfers. Because of this most banks now include them at the top of account statements.

If you bank doesn't, I'd ring them up and point out that it's a good idea for them to do so and ask for your IBAN at the same time.
Metoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Couldn't agree more - TT5 sux! Reply with quote

Quote:

8. This is more a matter of working poorly rather than not working at all but for me is the most important. The fastest routing algorithm uses far too many unmade, minor, narrow unclassified roads to get to the destination. This is often unavoidable at the start and end of a route but is inexcusable in the middle of a route.

That's without the inevitable map errors which do seem much worse when compared with the Navteq 2005 maps used by Navigon.

Apart from all that it runs fine!

Roger

I can accept that first 7 points are "limitations", which whilst highly frustrating, are not advertised as features. I do expect the product to navigate reliably and safely though. TT5 does NOT do this, and is much worse than TTN2 I had before:-

1. I've just had a week's grief in Cornwall where selecting Shortest Route inevitably sent me down a bridle path or similar unmade road at the end of the route, nearly causing loss of my car's sump in the process. The only other option, Fastest Route, sent me miles out of my way on A Road bypasses. TTN2 *never* did this - it would route the shortest route perfectly safely through the real countryside you never get to see from a Bypass. Even TTN2 gave you the ability to tailor preferred road types.

2. TTN5 is painfully slow - even without speed camera POI's enabled, the display is a good 30 seconds behind the GPS, making first time navigation of roundabouts and complex intersections very tricky. I never had any such problems with TTN2. It's not the hardware's fault (tried on 400MHz Ipaq and Treo650 with Bluetooth and CompactFlash receivers)

3. When trying to edit/rename a Favourite on either the PocketPC or Plam version, TTN5 won't let you put the cursor anywhere but the end of the text, and there's no D-Pad or cursor navigation support. So you've got to delete the whole name before you can type your new one in. That's sloppy programming to the extreme.

4. From a UI perspective, often used features (e.g. change to Day/Night, GPS status) are buried under Change Preferences so take 3 and 5 taps respectively, instead of 1 on TTN2. That means you have to take your eyes off the road for longer, which is positively dangerous.

So far from an "upgrade", I've got something that performs significantly worse than a version from 3 years ago. It neither navigates safely or offers any improvement in performance. Christ, they can't even do basic text editing properly. Instead, all I've got for my money is bloated software with a restricted feature set and a cumbersome UI. Presumably this is due to the move to a "common platform" to make their software work on the lowest common denominator, (i.e. mobile phones). That's got nothing to do with feature improvement or customer service, and everything to do with TomTom's greed to ship an average product (by definition) at maximum profit.

I too shall be chasing for a refund. :x
Metoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn't agree more - TT5 sux! Reply with quote

One more thing - TTN5 doesn't deliver on updated maps either (the main reason for my upgrade from TTN2):-
1. It had completely the wrong layout in Madienhead at an intersection that was remodelled over 8 years ago,
2. It still tries to navigate a major local route up a road which was closed to through traffic over 10 years ago.
smokinloads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only applied the long awaited 5.1 this morning, so have yet to test it to see if it fixes all my M2000 problems.....

Although I am lothe to do so, I'm prepared to set aside all the exceedingly poor functionality, as TomTom did not actually guarantee me that the upgrade would be as functional or as good as the product it was supposed to be upgrading (this does however bring into question whether certain assumptions could reasonably (read legally) be made about meaning of the word 'Upgrade').

The one thing that I feel TomTom have outright lied about is the maps supplied with TomTom 5.

The wording on their web site is quoted verbatim. - 'The latest and most complete maps from Tele Atlas, world-leader in digital mapping '

There have been assertions on this and other forums that 1) - the map data purchased from Tele Atlas was NOT the latest, which 2) - has thus lead to assumptions that TomTom have deliberately supplied older map data in order to boost the sales of their map upgrade subscription service.

If 1 is true, then trading standards should certainly take an interest, even though TomTom are not based in the UK (they still have control over sales into the UK), as this is blatent and deliberate mis-advertising.

If 2 is also true in conjunction with 1, (much harder to prove), then I suspect that there will have been a few laws broken also. I'm not a lawyer, so I'll be happy to be corrected if I am wrong on this.

Either way, I suspect that going down the route of trading standards, whilst satisfying, would do little good without ensuring that the popular press (consumer magazines) we also involved. Vauxhall (a good current example) would probably start to take notice, as would others.
Acheron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've had TT Mobile 5 for about a week now. And considered sending it back more than once already. But, to be honest, I wouldn't know what else to buy as there seems little recommendations or easy comparisons as to what is the best between the big three, Tom Tom, Route 66 and Co-Pilot.

I purchased it because I like the interface that the Go series has, and like the familiarity. I still made my purchase despite not getting ANY response to ANY of the queries I had prior.

The support is dreadful. Truly one of the worst I've ever come across. I waited half an hour to get through on the phone (a virtually non-existent number on their website, and a number I was only able to find on another forum as even directory enquiries had no listing - It's 0845 161 0009 for anyone who needs it) only to be asked THREE times what kind of phone I had!! Anyway, I finally got through as I'd copied the software to a new SD card and when I put it into the phone, it couldn't see it. The support person actually told me that the likely reason for it not working was because I'd failed to copy over hidden files (why is THAT not in the instructions then??) although he was incorrect as there aren't any hidden files. I later found out (through my own deduction) that the software has to be copied to the root directory of the card and not it's own directory (if someone knows a workaround for this, I'd love to hear it as I like to keep my directories very well organised).
My problems are:

1. I had to re-install the software on my SD card. As a result, I lost the previously downloaded traffic and POI's. I cannot find a way to re-download these no matter what.
2. Contacts Navigation. I cannot get this to work correctly. It just isn't reading the data correctly from my Outlook Contacts. It puts squares in between words, and just misses out entire sections of the address, most notably the postcode. I cannot seem to find ANY instructions to double-check if I'm using this function correctly or not.
3. The POI's... the only PARKS AND RECREATIONAL AREAS it finds are the three MAJOR parks in London!! Not too good for me, living in Portsmouth.

If I can get answers to any of the above, it'll improve things immensely for me, though my faith in Tom Tom Support providing any answers is very low.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Mobile is fine. You were just having problems because you decided you wanted it on a bigger SD card, it isn't designed for that so I'm not surprised TomTom support wasn't brilliant on it.
Private
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go L_Morgan,

You are absolutely right, TT5 in many ways is a substandard product, it doesn't matter if it cost 5000 or 50 GBP, when you buy a product you expect it to work correctly and TT5 in many ways does not.
Like many others, I am fed up with TT’s Support Team - the 40 min waiting on the phone, the evasive replies and in general the lack of news on what they are doing to correct the problems - therefore I think it’s a great idea to involve a consumer group, at least so others can be aware of the problems before they buy the product – I bought my TT5 upgrade immediately after it came out but if I knew then what I know now I would have kept my TT3!!!
quemzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I must also say that I agree with L_Morgan. I have used TT from version 2 and TT5 simply does not cut the mustard. The main reason I upgraded was for the better user interface and updated maps but what is the point in having this if my XDA2i's phone won't take any Bl**dy calls. It simply locks up when either making or receiving calls. Also the problem with the Traffic update via GPRS is a joke. This fails also.

I have posted a support question on TomTom's web site. See if they respond with anything useful. Evil or Very Mad
RichXDA2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Yeoman a few posts back, owing to the "slow to praise" "quick to criticise" mentality I think you will find that more people are happy than not. After all the sheer numbers of TT5 that Tom Tom are shifting support this.

No piece of software is perfect and in my experience TT5 has worked perfectly, and yes I have used most if not all of the functions (on an XDA2) ie, traffic, postcode search, accurate routing etc etc. The whole package works alot faster than TT3 along with being alot slicker and much more stable.

Like someone else has said, it seems that alot of the gripes are to do with the software not having the exact features that some people want. Well this is life!!! Tom Tom have released a product (that does work!!) with the features they want (and what research told them people say they want). If people don't like it, why stick with Tom Tom, I seem to remember similar gripes when TT3 came out. However, if other posts and web sites are to be believed, other platforms have their problems as well!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: