Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Very Pleased
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Very Pleased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Very Pleased Reply with quote

After reading all the bad stuf and complaints I nearly didn't get TT5, but I went for it in the end. This last week its had a really good testing and I can say I'm very happy with it along with the pocketgpsworld camera database and CheckPOint 5.01 they all performed really well on my iPAQ 2210 with a 512 SD Card.

The only thing I found was going along the A5 and wanting to take the A509 into Milton Keynes TT5 routing showed the turn off to the left correctly but for some unknown reason Jane kept telling me to "Keep Right" and it did that every morning for the week, but other than that lots of round-abouts all correct strange little turnings all correct got me to the correct place every time. Timing on some of the camera posistions seemed slightly out but nothing to worry about at least I got a warning and the cameras were there.

No lockups, no overheating, battery on my PDA charged correctly, so all in all well done CheckPOint, well done pocketgps world and well done TomTom. :D
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and well done Hoppy! Makes a refreshing change to read some real positives to balance the perspective.

I've had my moans about TT5, but I've come round to appreciating it now even more than TTN3. And, overall, all I need to do to realise how much I do appreciate what TomTom offers, is to look back at the countless times I used to get lost, frustrated, and almost panicked in strange cities or lonely rural areas without a clue as to where I was or where I needed to be.

It might not be perfection, but its the best navigation option for me by a long chalk ... and I get to enjoy this forum and keep learning about software and hardware into the bargain.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hoppy and Lamplight
I too am well pleased with TT5.
I have an Ipaq 2210 and a BT338 running TT5. I have just returned from a holiday in France where I drove many miles. I can honestly say that TT5 did not once put a foot wrong from beginning to end. Paris was no problem at all and touring round the wine growing area of Bordeaux was a piece of cake. On the trip back from Bordeaux I tapped in an address of a company in Calais that I needed to visit and drove straight to the entrance. To me this was like ‘White mans magic’. After two thousand miles I think I gave TT5 a good run and I will certainly never go back to TT3. So to all those that are still dithering about the upgrade I say “Go for it”.
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi Hoppy and Lamplight
I too am well pleased with TT5. After two thousand miles I think I gave TT5 a good run and I will certainly never go back to TT3. So to all those that are still dithering about the upgrade I say “Go for it”.

How did you manage to get the bug fix version of TT5 before the rest of us? Or is the bug list in this forum just a figment of TT customer's imagination?
jhansman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am quite happy with Navigator 5. Heck, I was pretty impressed with 2004, but then I never have seen the much ballyhooed TT3. The feature set is as impressive as any nav app I've used (only a few, but still...) and it never steers me wrong. TT even sent me the Ver. 5 upgrade for only the shipping cost, even though my 2004 purchase was outside the 'free' window.
Now that I've got John Cleese ordering me around, life is good. Smile
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_m wrote:
How did you manage to get the bug fix version of TT5 before the rest of us? Or is the bug list in this forum just a figment of TT customer's imagination?

There may be the odd bug and there may be lots of things people don't like but to warn me of camera's and to navigate me from A to B it works really well, maybe I'm just lucky.
Take all the people who have had and are having problems with CheckPOint 5, The only small problem I had with it was the very first version didn't shut down properly, since then it has worked great I have no problems with it at all. So the visuals flicker turn them off you only need audio, thats just one example it's a good program and it's free.
TT5 can't change the menu's so what when I'm driving I don't want to be playing with them, can't change the speed settings I could never set them properly in TT3 it always over estimated the length of my journey as TT5 does slightly now.
Yes it cost alot of money and should do what everybody wants, but I have no points and best of all no rows with the wife about getting to where I want. :D
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan_M
I haven’t had any bugs with TT5 from day one. The only large snag I had when I first upgraded from TT3 to TT5 was that TT5 would not recognize my BT338 GPS receiver. I was at my wits end until I looked at this forum where the solution was explained. Since that day all has gone perfectly. I haven’t put checkpoint on to it just yet until all the problems have been solved with checkpoint. Checkpoint ran great on TT3 and I have no doubt that it will eventually do the same on TT5.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pleased with mine ,has worked from day one with no problems,its even better now with 5.1 update , :D :D :D
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
brob108
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I've not had any big problems with TT5 (apart from Checkpoint but that's not major). I think it's a great piece of software...directs you where to go, warns you of possible delays and also gives you an indication where speed cameras are, weather (hopefully again soon!) and many other things.

I'd much rather this than going back to A-Z maps (and trying to drive, read them and get lost at the same time) and relying on RDS and local radio to tell you about weather and traffic.

Fortunately with this site there are lots of people to help and support, eg the software to set up the menu system is fantastic.

I once read through some of the early posts and everytime there is a new version of the software some people complained...even when TTN3 came out. I think sometimes it's just getting used to a new system. Smile
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Very Pleased Reply with quote

Hoppy wrote:
...The only thing I found was going along the A5 and wanting to take the A509 into Milton Keynes TT5 routing showed the turn off to the left correctly but for some unknown reason Jane kept telling me to "Keep Right" and it did that every morning for the week...

I too am more than happy with TTN5. Alot of the problems which some users are experiencing are down to their hardware, and hopefully if Tomtom claim to support that particular hardware then they will sort out the problem. I agree though that some of the voice commands are a bit dodgy. If anyone is leaving Northampton to go Northbound onto the M1 at junction 15 I'd definately advise keeping half an eye on your display. The junction has been changed over the past couple of years and (surprisingly?) the maps on TTN5 are up to date. The voice commands round this junction are a nightmare though - Tomtom seems to have real problems when it comes to voice commands for roundabouts and junctions!
Tom Symonds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Happy too Reply with quote

Reading forums can make you think its all doom and gloom.
If you think TT5's crap, you should try Navman SmartST -- I switched over from Navman to TomTom recently and am delighted with menu screens that change as SOON as you touch the icon, auto-starting Bluetooth, proper POI support etc.

Plus -- want to reinstall on a different SD card? No problemo -- with Navman you have to authenticate via the internet with some crappy zx81-speed server in New Zealand that never seems to be working.

So I'm happy!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: