Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM 500 WITH SPEED CAMERA S/WARE ? HOW? or ROAD ANGEL NAV
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM 500 WITH SPEED CAMERA S/WARE ? HOW? or ROAD ANGEL NAV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onezone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM 500 WITH SPEED CAMERA S/WARE ? HOW? or ROAD ANGEL NAV Reply with quote

I am new to this, and am considering a purchase soon (very soon) and could do with some really helpful advice please.

I am considering paying the £599 for the Road Angel Navigator, which as far as I can see does all the GPS route stuff, which I need and has the added bonus of the speed camera warnings/locator stuff too, and more besides.

I read somewhere on this forum that the TOM TOM 500 can do the same as the road angel navigator and from what I can see the price being a lot less would make sense (money wise) , but how would I make the TOMTOM 500 do the same as the road angel Nav, where can I find the software to install what is needed, does it work properly and... well.. please offer me some help and advice on this.

Many thanks in advance.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed you can and it is very simple, all you need do is download our Safety Camera Database (updated monthly) which is Free.

See here. Road Angel's navigation solution is an unknown quantity at the moment, TomTom's GO is by far the most popular system and with good reason.
onezone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. WOW.. CHEERZ..

Apparently the R A Navugator is going to be available from tomorrow (Monday 8 Aug 05 in the UK)

Any ideas how much the TOM TOM 500 is these days, and any sites in the UK that sell it at a good price?

So to recap. I can buy the T T 500, which also has bluetooth apparently so I can use my mobile phone with it as a handsfree ??, and download your files from your web site, which wen activated will alert me when I am about to get near to a speed camera, does it sound a visible warning like the road angel system too?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onezone wrote:
Any ideas how much the TOM TOM 500 is these days, and any sites in the UK that sell it at a good price?

Check out the advertisers on the right of this page for pricing
Quote:
So to recap. I can buy the T T 500, which also has bluetooth apparently so I can use my mobile phone with it as a handsfree ??, and download your files from your web site, which wen activated will alert me when I am about to get near to a speed camera, does it sound a visible warning like the road angel system too?

Absolutely, TomTom has built-in alerting, you can use the built-in sounds or install some custom ones we have made.
onezone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far I am impressed with all the info you have given me.. excellent

any idea how long the battery in the TOMTOM 500 lasts on a single charge?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 - 5hrs, obviously it comes with a 12v cigarette lighter charger though so it can be kept powered/charging in-car if you wish.
onezone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. sorry .. one last question..

is there a "how to" guide on here which will show me how to load the files onto the tomtom 500?
onezone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...NOW Looking at getting the TOMTOM 700, can I also install the speed camera stuff onto that device as I see there is no card, just a big hard drive in it, I know I might sound thick, but can your database and sounds be put onto the tomtom 700 too? as this is a better unit from what I can see.

Any advice appreciated.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onezone wrote:
.. sorry .. one last question..

is there a "how to" guide on here which will show me how to load the files onto the tomtom 500?

Follow this link and it covers everything.

With the 700 it is just the same but copied to the Hard Drive instead of the SD card.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
klt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Designated Detector Versus TomtomGo Reply with quote

My experience is that the designated detector is more accurate.

I use the Origin B2 and laterly the TomTom Go 300.

I am reluctant to give up on the Origin, as it is simply HIGHLY ACCURATE as opposed to TomTom. Speed camerawise

Let me say that this pocketGPSWorld site is great and it is getting there, but not yet fully accurate. As someone who depends on my licence for a living I must run with both FOR NOW..
Hope this helps ..good luck
I rate Origing B2 ..10/10 Tomtom Go300 for Sat Nav 8/10
Savin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Designated Detector Versus TomtomGo Reply with quote

klt wrote:

I am reluctant to give up on the Origin, as it is simply HIGHLY ACCURATE as opposed to TomTom. Speed camerawise

Let me say that this pocketGPSWorld site is great and it is getting there, but not yet fully accurate. As someone who depends on my licence for a living I must run with both FOR NOW..

But in that quote there is one word that stands out and that's "BOTH". For somone who wants rough knowlege of Camera locations then this database and TomTom are fine + the ultimate benefit of navagation in ONE unit? Smile Sureley no database can be 100% accurate as you never know where those pescky "saftey cameras" (Cough) may pop up? I would also guess that the more the police realise that people are using such decives (active & Passive) they will start to randomly pop up in more and more obscure places?? Just my theory though? No device will save your licence but it's a damn fine aid 95% of the time.

I'm not knocking your comment as i to use both passive detection in the form of a pda and active in the form of the cheetah speed trap detector.

Wink
Savin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Designated Detector Versus TomtomGo Reply with quote

Savin wrote:
klt wrote:

But in that quote there is one word that stands out and that's "BOTH". For somone who wants rough knowlege of Camera locations then this database and TomTom are fine + the ultimate benefit of navagation in ONE unit? Smile Sureley no database can be 100% accurate as you never know where those pescky "saftey cameras" (Cough) may pop up? I would also guess that the more the police realise that people are using such decives (active & Passive) they will start to randomly pop up in more and more obscure places?? Just my theory though? No device will save your licence but it's a damn fine aid 95% of the time.

I'm not knocking your comment as i to use both passive detection in the form of a pda and active in the form of the cheetah speed trap detector.

Wink

Sorry i re-read my post and it's a rubbish response. What i was trying to say is that the Go + camera database is a great cost effective solution offering passive detection & route navigation, unlike the the 2 seperate devices you mentioned, although they may be a little more accurate. Wink :D
alFR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As someone who depends on my licence for a living I must run with both FOR NOW..

Or not speed, of course. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: