Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Missing features with TomTom 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing features with TomTom 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Missing features with TomTom 5 Reply with quote

Please forgive me as a Newbie if necessary, but I can't find answers to three questions so ask them here;

Having upgraded my iPAQ2210 with SysOnChip CF antenna from TomTom 3 to Tom Tom 5 I find I can't do the following three things I liked about the older software

1) Plan an Itinerary in advance of actually being at the start location
2) Plan from from last known position before the antenna gets a satellite fix
3) Swith to the Today screen without having to exit TomTom first.

Are there tips or tricks to solve these three issues, please?

Very many thanks.
stevieg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To plan advance trip then start TT5, tap screen to go to menu options, Menu 2 - Advanced Planning then you can mark your departure point and destination.

Not sure about last GPS position, from memory if GPS position not available it asks if you want to navigate from last position but I would have to check this.

To the best of my knowledge then you have to exit TT5 to get to anything else unless someone else corrects me (and I would love it if they did cos its a real pain).

Cheers.
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To plan advance trip then start TT5, tap screen to go to menu options, Menu 2 - Advanced Planning then you can mark your departure point and destination.

Spot on - thanks. Hands up; don't know how I missed this.

Not sure about last GPS position, from memory if GPS position not available it asks if you want to navigate from last position but I would have to check this.

This is exactly the problem; with TT3 a prompt was given asking if you wanted to navigate from last know position, but the prompt is not given with TT5. I hope this useful feature has not been removed in the new version and that there is a way to enable it.

To the best of my knowledge then you have to exit TT5 to get to anything else unless someone else corrects me (and I would love it if they did cos its a real pain).

Yes, a big pain, and again I hope someone will be along shortly with a solution! :-)[/i]
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy way to the today screen is to use on of the hardware buttons to ops calender or contacts or whatever the botton is used for then start then today

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great fix for the today screen, many thanks - assigned tap calendar button to access today, hold calendar button for access to calender, so just added a function without loosing anything - a bit slow to load the today screen, but thats down to a busy screen, 2nd press was nigh on instant - cheers mike
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed a great tip to use button assignments. Many thanks. :-)
All sorted.

Just "Navigate from last known position" to solve, now!
malkie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The function in TTN 3 I used to use a lot was 'Guidance On/OFF', as I often used the programme just to spot speed cameras for me, without actually telling me where to go.

I could just engage the programme to get me home with two taps on the screen, or re-engage guidance when I was near the end of a journey and wanted help as long as I had set the destination, but I knew my way for most of the journey and didn't want to go the way Tom Tom wanted me too. Now I have only found 'Clear Route' or I can switch switch off the sound, which now takes many more taps to get to and kills the speed camera warnings. GRRRRRRR!

How about customising the icons on the menu screens? That was not easy to find in TTN3, but has disappeared for TTN5.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malkie, have a look at the following URL it will lead to another post I have just put up on the site where you can get software / access to sorting out the menus and tailor them for what you want - I use it and was real impressed, (once I found the UK vs - hint press the UK flag and its all in a langauge we understand - I think the native site is Dutch) - Mike

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=25370
malkie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder, thanks for that, awesome!

Wouldn't it be nice though if we didn't have to go to these lengths?
adyf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mikealder,

just wondered how you assigned a button to do one thing when you tap it and another one when you keep it pressed therefore providing two functions. I can only seem to get a button to do one function. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adyf, go start, settings then select "power buttons" each button on your device should be listed with both a tap or hold function, asign one function to each mode and hey presto - works on both 4700 and xda, unless i am lucky you should find it on your device - i thought this was part of the windows os - mike
adyf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tap and hold function are not available on the IPAQ 4150 with Windows CE 4.20. A shame because i liked the idea of your workaround. Thanks anyway.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a real let down - i thought this functionality was standard across all platforms - obviously not, for anyone with the tap/ hold function its a good dodge, any one any ideas how to equip devices with this capability, as it must be software/ os rather than a hardware issue - i am sure there will be many out there would welcome a simple fix - mike
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
thats a real let down - i thought this functionality was standard across all platforms - obviously not, for anyone with the tap/ hold function its a good dodge, any one any ideas how to equip devices with this capability

ButtonMax:
http://www.pocketmax.net/buttonMax.htm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: