Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - globalsat bt-388 best price
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

globalsat bt-388 best price

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: globalsat bt-388 best price Reply with quote

Hi I am considering purchasing this GPS, where is the cheapest price ? Anything to look out for when buying ?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to update your profile so we see where you live and can give you some pointers.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
russ100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: oh sorry... Reply with quote

I live in England, but my internet connection is far reaching ;)
mburton2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buybits.com is where I got mine from....

totalPDA & PDAmods wanted abotu £135-ish....

I got the BT-338 AND TT5 software for £220
barleymo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found mine on E-bay. £87 free delivery from States. Only down side was US plug.
russ100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barleymo wrote:
Found mine on E-bay. £87 free delivery from States. Only down side was US plug.

Can I ask who the seller was ?
Does anyone know of any configuration that might be different ?

I dont think the plug would be an issue for me as I believe it is the same size as the HP2210 I have. I expect to buy a incar charger also.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also purchase my unit from Ebay seller that I thought was a UK seller, but the item shipped from the US, cost £92 inc P&P and no customs duty.

The package includes a car charger, and a standard Ipaq charger does work
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wherever you buy it, make sure it has the latest SiRF Star III firmware 3.1.1, such as BuyGPSnow claims their new units have. This would be a deal-braker for me, no matter the price (almost Smile ).
newbieinlondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got mine 338 but not sure how to check the firmware version. Please advise.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro-G wrote:
Wherever you buy it, make sure it has the latest SiRF Star III firmware 3.1.1, such as BuyGPSnow claims their new units have. This would be a deal-braker for me, no matter the price (almost Smile ).
Why? What problems does that version resolve, or functionality does it add? Or is that just a piece of marketing hype that is designed to put you off other retailers?

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
cootuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine off Ebay for £90 delivered from US in four days. Seller was 'mrvintage1955' who runs a shop called 'voipcity'.

I believe the original units had a problem getting a satellite lock sometimes after moving a large distance between being turned on.
There was a thread on it.
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
Pedro-G wrote:
Why? What problems does that version resolve, or functionality does it add? Or is that just a piece of marketing hype that is designed to put you off other retailers?

Firmware updates 3.0.2, 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 apparantly fix problems with SiRF III receivers. Users of receivers with "early" firmware (TomTom MkII with firmware 3.0.0, Globalsat BT-338 with 3.0.2, even Holux GPSlim 236 with 3.1.0, plus some other models) have reported some strange problems, such as the receiver's inability to sometimes get a fix even with good reception conditions. Note that just about all of GPS receivers that use the SiRF III chip are fantastic receivers (when they have a fix Smile ), however there are some bugs in the firmware. I have the TomTom MkII, and although it's really great most of the time, I have observed a situation where I had to force a cold reset to get a fix, even though conditions were nearly optimal (open field, receiver tracking 8 satellites - but for some reasion no position fix).

Please read for example the Jet Lag thread at gpspassion forums (concering BT-338), where Carl@SiRF lets us know they correct several bugs even in the latest 3.1.1 firmware.

There are also numerous problem reports in this and other GPS forums, for exaple for TomTom. There were also similar complaints about the Holux 236 on some forum (I can't find them right now though), and many more on the BT-338.

Also note that it's still unclear whether the firmware of existing SiRF III receivers (of ANY manufacturer) can be upgraded. That's why I'd be tempted to by a receiver with the latest firmware, if given a choice.

However, I take back some of my words about the firmware being a "deal-braker". Many users say that they've had no problems at all, and to be honest most of the problems I've had with TomTom were sort of deliberately created, that is, I knew to look for the bug. I haven't really had that much problems in actual use - but on the other had, some people complain they suffer from the bugs constantly. It probably depends on typical usage etc.
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention: firmware 3.1.1 supposedly adds WAAS/EGNOS support to the Globalsat BT-338, which it (despite marketing) didn't have.

However, I don't know if it actually works, and if it does, it's unclear whether it gives much of a benefit at all in terms of accuracy. It's starting to seem to me that the best benefit of SBAS (WAAS/EGNOS) is the real-time evaluation of the quality of the GPS service, which possibly allows general aviation to start using GPS precision approaches much more widely in the near future. Current handheld receivers don't support that feature anyway.

On the other hand, I would like to have a SBAS capable SiRF III unit, just for fun testing! Smile
Finlab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Pdamods re their globalsat bt338
They confirm that their's is the latest firmware ( he said I could email globalsat to confirm this) but he couldnt tell me what actual no. was assigned to the firmware.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: