Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - satalite stability
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

satalite stability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salsa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: satalite stability Reply with quote

I'm trying to understand why my system is unstable, running the following

Haicom 203E GPS receiver

E330 Toshiba Pocket PC

128meg Integral SD card

Software Tomtom Nav 2.22

Trafcam with sdk control to TomTom

The GPS unit is planeted in the corner on my front windscreen, after turning the engine on I wait for the red line to stop flashing on the gps receiver, when the red light stays constantly on It has a satalite signal.

I then switch on the pocket PC launch Trafcam which automatically fires up TomTom nav and both systems seem to work well together. However If I stop and have to turn the ignition off when I start the car again TomTom indicates that it has no GPS signal, I make sure the red light is on the gps and switch the pocket pc off then on, but still no gps signal on tomtom. I then push in the reset button on the back with pen and try again but still the same problem. It has resulted in me doing a total jumper reset and restoring the backup. I am trying to break down the problem down and find out if its (a) with the pocket pc , (b) with the connection , (c) with the GPS (d) with the software , as i've said with (c) the GPS light is on but does that mean it's receiving data from the satalites correctly ??.

any suggestions would be appriciated

Thx

Salsa

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: satalite stability Reply with quote

When you stop, are you powering off the Pocket PC or just leaving it running on battery with the GPS connected (but no juice flowing) ?

If you're doing this, it should work okay. I tend to leave my car when I drive into a petrol station for around 3-5 mins in this state and it always recovers quite nicely for me. I'm running an iPAQ though. It maybe different on the Toshiba.
Salsa
Occasional Visitor

I normally either switch the ingition of and then the pocket pc switches it self of after 30 seconds or sometimes I just switch off the pocket pc.

after your suggestion...

I've just changed my screen light setting on battery power to turn off the device if not used for 5 mins, it was orginally set for 30 seconds.

will see if it makes any difference and let you know, thx for the info again Dave.

Regards

Salasa

Dave
Frequent Visitor

There is also an option in the GPS Status program for TomTom Navigator. If you goto the GPS tab in the Status screen, there's a slider. To the left shows a Pocket PC with zzzZZ's. This means when set to this that the Pocket PC will shut off when the power settings cut in for battery usage. If you drag it to the right, TomTom will send a signal to constantly keep the Pocket PC alive so it won't trip the battery settings.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: