Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom: Trading Standards Petition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom: Trading Standards Petition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L_Morgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: missing the point . . . Reply with quote

Living in the a world where most people are realistic it is fair to assume that TT5 will not be 100% perfect across a common platform hosted by differing devices.

TT state that the XDA2i platform is supported when clearly it has not been tedted and therefore should make customers aware that compatible issues may arise instead of pitching TT5.

O2 said to me today . . .
"A separate issue is also being investigated by O2 with the Bluetooth
version on Xda IIi where a number of customers have reported a
freezing issue. We have also decided to stop selling the Bluetooth
TomTom pack (AORBTT3N) for the Xda IIi temporarily while we identify a
fix."

This statement categorically proves the lack of testing, and therefore the update should not of been sold to XDA2i users without making us aware that the software simply wont function correctly on the unit with its current ROM.

We can then make the appropriate decisions however TT's carefully crafted pitch made TT3 users feel that the upgrade is the preverbial 'pot of gold under the rainbow' instead TT's shoddy support makes us feel 'duped'.

Personally I'm really looking forward to the XDA2i ROM & TT5.2 update!
ROM date: 04/11/06
Radio version 1.09.00
Protocol version: 42.42.P8
ExtROM version: 1.30.162 WWE
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet i appericate the itenerary issue though i never use the itinery myself though do know what you mean about not planning with out a gps lock the post code works fine for me i always use tt5 set to limited speed due to the veicle i drive drive being limited to 54mph so far hasnt sent me wrong though in do need to pay more attetion to the routes it gives a im not in a car

L moragan only issue i have with the xda2i is the o2 problem with the gprs dropping when ever you plug a power lead or gps in the serial port at the bottom ive no problems using bt gps and have had it running for atleast 12 hours a day using a bt headset at the same time takeing and making calls all day with no lockups though i would recomend setting the processor to turbo mode whist doing this

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest irritation is that TT4 , the product TT5 replaced (not TT3) had many reatures missing from TT5, but ran much faster. Despite clearly using the same structure, and not doing anythign during navigation that should affect display speed, TT5 runs much, much slower. If I display POIs TT5 displays my road position about 5 seconds after I passed that point. TT4 never did that. This means that whereas I could have over 12000 POIs in files waitign for TT4 to display them if I came close, TT5 can't run reliably and speedily with 12.
radavis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
Quote:
What part of the software doesnt work.

1. Itinerary planning will not allow you to view the planned route unless you have a GPS fix.

2. If you do have a GPS fix Itinerary planning will only calculate the route from your current position.

3. Advanced planning will not allow you to save the planned route.

4. Whilst navigating using Itinerary or Advanced planning selecting a go via completely discards all existing waypoints.

5. The postcode search regularly picks the wrong road since it is based on a point on the map and not actual roads/addresses.

6. The Avoid Motorways routing option does avoid motorways but reverts to the shortest route rather than using the fastest route.

7. If you create an Itinerary with a GPS fix, modify the route using avoid roads etc., then save it, none of the avoids or modifications are saved.

8. This is more a matter of working poorly rather than not working at all but for me is the most important. The fastest routing algorithm uses far too many unmade, minor, narrow unclassified roads to get to the destination. This is often unavoidable at the start and end of a route but is inexcusable in the middle of a route.

That's without the inevitable map errors which do seem much worse when compared with the Navteq 2005 maps used by Navigon.

Apart from all that it runs fine!

Roger

Sorry to put a spanner in the works, but if I have read the above entry correctly the first 7 points raised do not refer to bugs or faults in the software, they refer to the fact that the program does not work in the way the writer wants or expects it to. I have using TomTom products since the version before V3 "whatever that was called" and each release has had it problems and this forum has played its part in getting them solved. Also TomTom has released updates that have fixed many of the bugs and improved features. Name me one piece of software that any of us have used that has not got bugs or mistakes? Windows perhaps!!!!!

If it really doesnt work the way you want it to take it back to the shop you bought it from and ask for a refund. If you can prove it is faulty you should get your money back. The ultimate sanction we have against a company it not to buy its goods. From the sales figures released by TomTom over the last few days it would appear that people are doing the opposite.

I have tried other GPS solutions but have always come back to TomTom as for me they offer a good product for a reasonable price. If I needed something for more than "casual" use I would pay £1000-£2000 for a professional system with DVD update every couple of months.

PS TomTom do not pay me to write this stuff. (Not yet anyway :D :D )
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry to put a spanner in the works, but if I have read the above entry correctly the first 7 points raised do not refer to bugs or faults in the software, they refer to the fact that the program does not work in the way the writer wants or expects it to. I have using TomTom products since the version before V3 "whatever that was called" and each release has had it problems and this forum has played its part in getting them solved.

In my previous posts, to which the above was a reply, I specifically stated that these were not bugs but areas where the software does not work.

That may be just how I would expect it to work but I think that the points I have listed are quite reasonable expectations without having to resort to a so called professional system.

However, it doesn't matter what you call them, these are definite anomalies in the way the software operates. Surely the point of this forum is to highlight any anomalies in the hope that TomTom will solve or improve them.

If you definitely think that the software would not be genuinely improved by attention to any of the points I have mentioned then please put forward an argument for leaving them as is.

Roger
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you and me both as i have the xda2i ,but my gripe is not being able to access traffic , so really i have paid good money not to be able to use something
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the traffic does work for me though i do have to turn flight mode on then off when ive made or received a call but this is an o2 problem and nothing to do with tt5 other than that traffic works a treat

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
nailujrt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am over the moon with TT5 I have paid in the past near to £1000 for Garmin Street Pilot III Deluxe in my opinion it is abag of !!ite compared with TT5. What you are trying to do parallels Microsoft problems with XP usage will eventualy improve the product ,it is still early days for Ver 5 .Its a case of take it back for refund or grin and bare it until a fix is available.

Comared with Garmin TT5 is streets ahead ! ! . Used Garmin in London took upto 2 minutes to recalc route opposed to seconds for TT5. Could go on forever with comparison. Post codes work fine for me, blootooth ok too.
rbartlett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had many problems with the TT upgrade. I'm on palm T3 and the full postcode won't work (the main reason for the upgrade )

the maps won't load properly,

it's very jittery when on the move (V3 was smooth)

it has created a file called contacts navigator which is the same as contacts but doesn't actually 'do' anything apart from showing me my contacts.

the palm side button was dedicated from voice record to TT -this now will only bring up contact navigator. -see above

spent 3 days trying to phone customer support- just kept getting cut off

I waited 2 weeks for an email reply from TT and got told that the 5.10 upgrade was available!!! even though I told them it's a palm T3

At that point I lost it and emailed them my feelings about charging us to be their beta testers

then rather than addressing my concerns (which I now suspect they actually couldn't because they don't know how to fix it yet) they just sent me their complaints fax line number

so I faxed a complaint overnight to Amsterdam cc'd to all the directors as on their (very hard to navigate) website and the very next morning a full refund was made available !!

however the refund itself has problems as it asks for information about my bank which isn't relevent stuff like IBAN and SWIFT codes which as I don't have these it just hangs!!!

and they state no bank details -as per spec- no refund..they really are a bunch eh??

cheers

richard
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailujrt wrote:
I am over the moon with TT5 I have paid in the past near to £1000 for Garmin Street Pilot III Deluxe in my opinion it is abag of !!ite compared with TT5. What you are trying to do parallels Microsoft problems with XP usage will eventualy improve the product ,it is still early days for Ver 5 .Its a case of take it back for refund or grin and bare it until a fix is available.

Comared with Garmin TT5 is streets ahead ! ! . Used Garmin in London took upto 2 minutes to recalc route opposed to seconds for TT5. Could go on forever with comparison. Post codes work fine for me, blootooth ok too.

Many people are comparing TT5 with the product it replaced. TT5 is far inferior to TT3.

Some of us just wanted updated maps!
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to put a spanner in the works, but if I have read the above entry correctly the first 7 points raised do not refer to bugs or faults in the software, they refer to the fact that the program does not work in the way the writer wants or expects it to. I have using TomTom products since the version before V3 "whatever that was called" and each release has had it problems and this forum has played its part in getting them solved.

In my previous posts, to which the above was a reply, I specifically stated that these were not bugs but areas where the software does not work.

That may be just how I would expect it to work but I think that the points I have listed are quite reasonable expectations without having to resort to a so called professional system.

If the software works different from your expectations or wishes, it doesn't mean it doesn't work. You just don't like the design, and that is open for debate, but surely not with Trading Standards. If something really doesn't work, it IS a bug.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just applied o2's new rom it worked once then locked up Sad ..i have hard reset my ppc with a fresh install now ..hope it works
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. I say this because it seems that some of you have similar issues to those that I had with CoPilot5. Basically, I got CP5 in March this year after reading excellent reviews about the product. This was my first venture into in-car GPS.

Without going into great detail, I was extremely disappointed from day1, and the more I used it, the more frustrated and angry I became with a seriously flawed product.

My retailer eventually agreed to refund/replace this with TT5, which I have now been using for 2 weeks.

While I won't say that it's perfect, and obviously some people have issues with functionality comparaing features with TT3, I have to say that it's 10 times better than CoPilot, so at the moment I'm a reasonably happy TT5 user.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
cccfood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Poor TomTom 5 upgrade Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with Roger, as a businessman for over twenty eight years, the arrogance of this Company is unbelievable !

1. They don't answer their emails.
2. They don't answer their UK telephone 'help' line
3. They don't EVEN answer their telephone line in Holland for help
4. I have used TT for over two years and when they started they were the market leaders, now they have got worse and worse and I am now definitely going to go over to Navman when they are able to support my i-mate Pocket PC PDA.

With Navman, I have a 4100 GPS receiver, you can get hold of a UK National 'ordinary' telephone number with a person that ACTUALLY HELPS you with technical questions and EVERY time I have telephoned for help they HAVE always answered the telephone and ALWAYS helped me, brilliantly, I was so impressed that as a managing director, myself, I asked to speak to MD at Navman to congratulate him and he came on the telephone and spent ages explaining why they think support is so important.

TomTom couldn't give a damn for their customers, when yo do get a reply it is usually so unhelpful and you have usually waited for over a week and then have to start all over again.

If you are a new user - take my advice steer clear of this company and their products. GPS Navigation is the greatest and cleverest concept in the world but having no support or help is really, really frustrating and it is absolutely vital to have someone to help you if you need a question answered.

I wouldn't even give TomTom the time of day - this is second upgrade I
have had problems with, their non existent 'support' they ALWAYS take days and days to respond and their software 'bug checking' is diabolical.

There is absolutely no excuse at all for rolling out a product that has so many really stupid bugs in it, just some of the problems have been listed by Roger, just SOME of them. Throw in for good measure the GPS and BT problems that have been a nightmare on this upgrade.

I would like to be able to charge TomTom for the hours and hours that I and other users have been forced to waste because of their incompetence.

I like Roger, would like to take TomTom to Court for not providing a software product that is fit for the purpose intended as the contract was made in this Country not Holland.

Hopefully, with so many, many other providers such as Navman coming along and equally if the editor of this and other forums starts showing just how many, many bad reviews TomTom is getting for their arrogant approach to their lifeblood i.e. their customers - then when their profits fall and fall they will by then have annoyed so many of us that they will suffer financially, now I know why the on the TomTom website they are asking for investors !

I cannot bear their attitude, it makes me go wild not to be able to speak to someone about faults that THEY have made and not to be able to get advice of how to use the product that I have paid for, in advance because they haven't done their job properly !

Lets start a 'poor tom tom support' website, together we will force them to react, there are other websites where the level of frustration with their lack of support is every bit as aggressive as this site is, this site is not alone with the comments written here.

If the search engine was programmed to come up, everytime someone was searching for advice on GPS it would make them listen.

I remain totally frustrated with this second rate, unprofessional and badly managed, joke of an organisation. How can anyone take them seriously long term ?

Charles
Yeoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting to see that there are many satisfied customers as well as those who are clearly disatisfied all of whom are right in their own way. If the software simply doesn't work on a particular configuration that is no good. TomTom have, however, shifted huge numbers of TT5 and given that people are generally quick to criticise and slow to praise, the actual number of people with a real problem seems low to me.
All I can say is that I am very happy with TT5. I have been using it for several weeks now on some very long and complicated drives and I have had far fewer problems than I ever did with TT3. To be honest I am usually reluctant to take on board a new version of any software straight away because whatever the application there will always be some issues, but this time I did, and on balance do not regret it.
Yes, some features could be improved and perhaps over time they will. For me, however, the overall functionality is better and in particular I find the extra functionality of the 'alternative route' feature to be a great improvement.
Like an earlier respondent I was a former user of Pocket Co-Pilot which I thought was a very poor product.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: