Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do you plan a short but fast route?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you plan a short but fast route?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: How do you plan a short but fast route? Reply with quote

I needed to get from South to North wales and wanted to go via the A470 (i.e striaght up).

I tried the fastest route and it took me on the A-roads via Oswestry.. Whilst this may have been the 'fastest', it wasn't the one I wanted.

So, I did "Calculate Alternative" and this time it went via the M5.. Again, no doubt that its fast, but not the route I wanted.

So, i then tried "Shortest" and vola, it gave me a route via the A470 EXECPT, it literally was the 'shortest', so it also took me via lots of little roads to shave a few feet/yards of the route..

So, the shortest route was closer to what I wanted, but it really was the shortest and wasn't any good.

What I needed was a "Direct" Route.. Something which was short, but also fast..

Is there any way to do this? The only option I can think of is to use the "Fastest" route, but then go "via" something (perhaps the A470).. Thinking about it.. That IS the way isn't it? Do a fast route and then browse the map, select the road you want and do "Travel Via"..

Why didn't I think of this before?? Is this the only way, or has anyone else come up with anything??

I have sent a mail to TomTom asking for them to consider adding a "Direct" route in the list of "Route Types", but I can't imagine that they are interested in my (or anyones) suggestions!

Jon
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT5 can do only one 'Via'. If that doesn't do the trick, how about using the Itinerary Function and select several points on the A470?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about setting the speed to less than 60 MPH in max speed (so it avoids the M5) then try the alternative route and see if it can do one that you want.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been unhappy about this topic since getting TTN3, we need a best compromise option that will pick out the shortest route BUT avoid all the rat runs, back lane & dirt tracks etc.

OVER TO YOU TOMTOM (but I could grow old & die waiting).
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my suggestion of selecting a 'road' and doing "Travel Via" would work, unless TomTom still felt that it was still faster to go the 'long/fast' route and also via the road I wanted.

In my case, I am sure it would have worked, as once you set 'via A470', there would be no other choice, but to do the whole route along the A470.

I have writen to TomTom about this and my fingers are crossed, they will take note.

Jon
realistic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try
Preferences
Planning Preferences
Only avoiding Motorways
Then Fastest route.
Mike
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is TT5 I am talking about.. I don't think that there is a PREFERENCES->PLANNING option.

In TT5, you can choose a route which is "Avoid Motorway".. However, this wouldn't work either, as the first route is an "A Road" route which isn't the one I want.

Jon
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

realistic wrote:
Try
Preferences
Planning Preferences
Only avoiding Motorways
Then Fastest route.
Mike

Can you choose two different preferences at the same time? I can only choose one!

jweaver, its called 'change prefernces' on the first page of the menu screen, then 'planning prefences' is on the third page of that menu.
MGBc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely needs a 'sensible' route setting or something, I wanted to get from Ripon to an address in Southport recently, I ended up having to set 6 itinerary points and an 'avoid' to get TT5 to do a route using the full length of the M65, 'fastest' took me south on the M62 then through Liverpool and 'shortest' was just silly.
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGBc wrote:
It definitely needs a 'sensible' route setting or something

I remember years and years ago when Microsoft Autoroute first came out you could put preference weightings on each different type of road (Motorway, A-road, B-road etc).

'Vorsprung Durch Technik' as they dont seem to say in Amsterdam! Laughing
realistic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maxi didn't explain too well Embarassed
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is that the pocket PC platform we are running Tomtom on has limited program/working memory and to get TTN5 to work in it & still leave room for other programs to run some usful features will be missed out (others will just not have been though or or ignored by Tomtom).

I could live without the shortest (I think most of us could) option could be left out as it uses whatever roads it can to shave yards of the route making the time unrealisticly long. Even the walking route would not be a miss as this does not take you the shortest walking way but the shortest driving route.

All in all the only practical route planning method is the quickest. In order to put vias in you need to know that the route planned is not the best, in which case you don't realy need Tomtom to calulate the route till you get onto roads you do not know.
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used it to try and get from Bristol up to North wales and wanted to go up the A49 but it really didnt let me do it. I tried everything I could and ended up putting a town en route but it still took me part way up the M5 then turned me across to the A49 - very frustrating.
GPS_Elf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely, if you want to use a particular road, then plan a route and once you are on the road you want and TT tells you to deviate from it, ignore the command. Then TT will realise and re-calculate. Or have you got the auto-driver version of TT? Laughing
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try this method a couple of times, but it just kept telling me to turn around when possible and headed me back to the M5!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: