Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Avoid minor roads?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Avoid minor roads?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Avoid minor roads? Reply with quote

I recall the TomTom Navigator had an option where you could choose your road preference e.g. avoid motorways, avoid minor roads. Has the option been lost in TomTom Go? I have the 700 model and used it for a trip to rivington pike (just to see how it would cope). I only live 15 miles away. It took me up a small side road which then preceded to turn into a dirt track ending in a field! Telling it to calculate an alternative route then got me there, but through many narrow b roads where there is only enought room for 1 car at a time to get past. I would have got there a good 10 minutes earlier sticking to the route I would normally pick on the more major roads!
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I recall the TomTom Navigator had an option where you could choose your road preference e.g. avoid motorways, avoid minor roads. Has the option been lost in TomTom Go?

This is a major problem with all versions of TomTom 5, whether on the GO, PDA or mobile platform. I am constantly being routed down extremely narrow roads when there is a perfecly good alternative, slightly longer, but much less risk of bodywork damage.

Currently there is no way to change the basic routing algorithm to avoid, unless absolutely necessary, all minor/unclassified/narrow roads apart from actually modifying the route yourself. To do this usually requires you to have a knowledge of the local area and if you have that then you don't need TomTom anyway.

There needs to be a means of adjusting the road speeds and preferences to create a more sensible routing model.

It's about time TomTom addressed this.

Roger
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
Quote:
I recall the TomTom Navigator had an option where you could choose your road preference e.g. avoid motorways, avoid minor roads. Has the option been lost in TomTom Go?

This is a major problem with all versions of TomTom 5, whether on the GO, PDA or mobile platform. I am constantly being routed down extremely narrow roads when there is a perfecly good alternative, slightly longer, but much less risk of bodywork damage.

Currently there is no way to change the basic routing algorithm to avoid, unless absolutely necessary, all minor/unclassified/narrow roads apart from actually modifying the route yourself. To do this usually requires you to have a knowledge of the local area and if you have that then you don't need TomTom anyway.

There needs to be a means of adjusting the road speeds and preferences to create a more sensible routing model.

It's about time TomTom addressed this.

Roger

Got to agree, an 'avoid minor roads where possible' or 'choose route with fewer turns' (eg a 'use main roads' option would be far more preferable to me than the 'avoid motorways' or 'shortest route' options.

Tw
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote for this feature, most minor roads are good to drive and some aren't; is the map data good enough to distiguish, I thought the maps were checked by actually driving roads?

But yes a setting to exclude them would be good.
What is wrong with the old autoroute style preference settings, these could be hidden behing a Custom screen, so we could have Fastest, Shortest, cycle etc and Custom.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible solution may be to navigate using the 'Major Roads of Europe' map rather than the detailed country map. This should get you pretty close to your destination without using minor roads (because it doesn't know about them!).

Not sure whether you can do this on the 700? Maybe it doesn't have MRE because it has a detailed map of the whole of Europe.

My idea should certainly work on the Classic - where MRE comes as a separate map, supplied on the CD. On other models, you'd probably need a Plus map for a different country from your present location so that it would be forced to use the MRE portion.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
bmwman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your Routing Preference set to?

Mine is set to "Ask each time" and I usually select "Quickest", in which case it avoids minor roads like the plague.

If I want to take a particular route via (say B roads) then I have to set some Waypoints to force the routing onto minor roads.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont have the problem at all its not taken me the wrong way yet
though i am useing limited speed set at 54mph might have a ride up to rivi later

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: