Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "No POI Found!" when trying to "Navigate to..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"No POI Found!" when trying to "Navigate to..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SRS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm going to throw one further variable into the equation which may explain the different behaviours.

Although we all know we are using 5.000(4890) or 5.100(5160) executables, there could be many versions of map with different POI.DAT files.

I am using v562 Great Britain and have a POI.DAT that is 1,724,331 bytes.

I know that the Great Britain Plus map is at v571, but there may be intermediate versions with dodgy POI.DAT files.

So how about a few other people do the same test as I did and post results plus versions and sizes of POI.DAT?

All you need to do is "Browse Map" -> "Find" -> "POI" -> "Petrol Station" and see if it crashes or gives "No POI Found" message.

Hopefully we could narrow down the problem and help out some of the folks who have POI problems. :D

Slider.
gw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will work with navigate to filling station poi if i browse map, navigate to but not if a navigate to poi filling station.

It is the same for large poi files as you say, it crashes.

Given that theory, it works fine on postcodes, which must be a larger file?
KW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's too much happening on the point of POI.dat file versiosn.

The reason why I presume this is :

When our first legit TT5 customer complained about crashing POI navigation and not being able to find a whole series of POI's, I compared his original and official POI.DAT file to the one I had "found".

They were, in all aspects, identical : file date, file size and byte compare did not show any difference between the official and the pirated version as far as the POI.dat files go. The discussions about this have been raging on quite a few German sites too, and so far the TT5 POI's don't seem to differentiate between the various versions.

After I hacked his official 5.0 into a "fixed 5.0 hacked", navigation to POI's worked perfectly immideatly. I'm NOT talking about a simple "copy the *.exe hack and place some file in "my documents", there's a hack out there which consists of a 4-file cab and doesn't interfere with the original POI-database in any way : so logically, if the POI.DAT file would be the problem, this couldn't have happened, no ?

And there's of course the point that it's not just _one_ POI database. ALL POI databases would have to be corrupt in that case, as customers from nearly every country in the EU are complaining "their" POI's don't work correctly if you'd browse through the different forums (being a polyglot sometimes has its benifits ;) ). By the way, I'm not an UK user either, and I see the same problems with POI's.

I agree, there IS a problem with the number of POIs TT5 can handle : I've noticed that when I was configuring the customer's machine and started to play around with additional POI's.
But it SHOULD work properly with the default POI's on board. The fact a hacked version indeed CAN, and a 100% legit version CAN'T is very hard to explain to a customer who just bought the thing from your shop. Sad

Short of an official statement by Tomtom, the only explenation left to me is this one :

Tomtom has various subversions of TT5.exe which are NOT labeled in an unique way. The early ones had a bug, and THAT version was hacked and distributed on the net. Sadly, early birds who have bought the package officially now have the same problems as those people who're using pirated copies. This would mean, Tomtom is using a slightly different version (in some way) yet the reported Program ID is identical. (which I can confirm, as the working hack had the same revision code as the non-working official one).

Considering TomTom as a company is very much sticking their heads in the sand on this issue as we still haven't got any official word on this from them, I've asked our sales people to notify potential customers of this problem to avoid various forms of verbal abuse later on. Sad Sad Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: