Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcode search with the Benelux maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcode search with the Benelux maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Postcode search with the Benelux maps Reply with quote

I have been experimenting with postcode lookup on the Benelux maps, but it doesnt seem any better than the UK version.

In Brussels, there are 18 districts, each with its own postcode. TomTom equates all of these postcode to Brussels, so if you enter a district postcode, TTN displays all the streets for Brussels.

Whats worse, some long avenues traverse several districts and you then have to choose which district you want, even though you have just entered the postcode. Each segment has its own range of house numbers, but you cant enter the house number until you have chosen the district. If you choose the wrong district TTN tells you the house number is out of range.

For example, if the address is

1594 chaussee de Wavre

Postcode 1160 Brussels

1160 corresponds to Auderghem

I can enter 1160, and TTN displays Brussels and all the streets in Brussels. I enter Wavre, and TTN displays a choice of chaussee de Wavre in Ixelles, Etterbeek and Auderghem (twice). In order to choose the right one, you have to know that 1160 is Auderghem, but most people in Brussels only know their own postcodes.

The only way to find the right segment is to try each one in turn and then see if it matches the house number.

The Dutch Postcode lookup is just as bad. Even though Dutch postcodes identify a street segment, TTN only resolves the postcode to an entire city.
George Pickles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Postcode search with the Benelux maps Reply with quote

Tony,

I'm living in the 'capital' of europe and understand fully what you mean about the different 'postcodes' for the different communes.

To date I've not used postcode lookup as I've found looking up an address using City and Street name pretty effective. Also, if the truth be known, I don't know how to use postcode look up - and can't find any reference to it in the TomTom help file.

I also tend just to put the Bruxelles in for the city, rather than try the commune name.

George

TonyP
Regular Visitor

You can just enter the postcode instead of the city. You have to select either QWERTY or AZERTY, because the default ABC has no numbers.

It is all a bit confusing because the postcode doesnt always correspond to the city. One address I tried recently was Rue des Jardins, 1300 Limal, but 1300 is the Wavre postcode, and Limal happens to be nearby. You can enter either '1300', 'Limal' or 'Wavre' and they all work out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: