Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 5 losing signal...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 5 losing signal...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dansco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 5 losing signal... Reply with quote

I posted this in the beginners board but no-one replied so I thought I'd ask here...

Quote:
Well I recently bought a PBT-111 GPS unit on ebay and was having problems getting a fix. I was told it might take a while so after several attempts I took it to cricket yesterday and it actually WORKED...

Great but it soon crashed (Tom Tom on my Nokia 6260 that is) when we were leaving to go home and now I can't get a fix again.

My question is that if you make a first "fix" it should then be quick to pick up again right

Has it lost it's fix coz of the crash or does the unit not save it

TIA Dan
mark5290
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that i am losing a GPS fix more frequently now that i am running TTM 5, there is a TTN 5 'BUG' thread that mentions GPS signal degradation maybe due to the V5 GPS drivers, is it something similar then with TTM 5.
Dansco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark5290 wrote:
I have noticed that i am losing a GPS fix more frequently now that i am running TTM 5, there is a TTN 5 'BUG' thread that mentions GPS signal degradation maybe due to the V5 GPS drivers, is it something similar then with TTM 5.

Thanx for the info mate Wink
mark5290
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, on reading your OP again, i make a point of not buying GPS receivers off Ebay, i might if they are new in an unopened box, or second hand because you do not know how they have been treated, i had a second hand Emtac receiver that i had paired and receiving data with TTM 4 on a SPV C-500, and i accidently dropped it, after that it never got a signal lock ever again Evil or Very Mad

It should not take that long to get a fix, if you switch it on and stick it by a window it should get a fix even without it paired to anything, i get a fix with my Globalsat BT-318 that way.

When it was paired how were the indicator lights on GPS unit, i think with the Polstar, the BT light stays on solid for a pairing and the GPS light will be solid red to indicate a fix, when TT crashed was it paired and receiving data?, what happens now when you start up TT and GPS unit?, you could try the pairing procedure again.

When the little icon is spinning in the top right of the TT GPS configurations screen it means it is receiving data, when this happens do not try to configure another GPS receiver from that screen or you may end up losing the pairing and have to start again.

Check in the phones BT settings to make sure the Polstar is listed in the paired devices, your GPS unit does not need to save anything just switch it on and it will start receving data if it is not faulty.
Roberto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark5290 wrote:
I make a point of not buying GPS receivers off Ebay, i might if they are new in an unopened box, or second hand because you do not know how they have been treated.

That's a slightly over cautious view, TBH. I bought my GPS receiver from eBay as no high street shop I found sold one. As long as you buy from a reputable trader i.e a Power Seller, who also has excellent feedback and is based in the UK (as opposed to the dodgy stuff being offered from places like Hong Kong) then you can't really go wrong.

I can feel sometime soon being lambasted for promoting this guy again, but there is a seller on ebay UK called inter-activeinformation. All they sell is GPS Receivers (BT-77 using 16 Channel Nemerix chips) at £49.99 GBP + P+P. They are brand new, sealed, boxed and arrive on your doorstep 2 working days after ordering. Worked first time with my Nokia and TT5M and have also done so with other people I know.

Many people shy away from eBay because of a worry that it is all dodgy dealers. By doing this you can deny yourself the chance to buy quality goods at excellent prices.

Just use your common sense and ALWAYS check feed back and seller status.
mark5290
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point i was trying to make but did not come across that well is that i would not buy a GPS receiver off a private seller wether they claimed the receiver was new or not(this is just my opinion), as you say buying from a reputable UK seller would be preferable.
Roberto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark5290 wrote:
I think the point i was trying to make but did not come across that well is that i would not buy a GPS receiver off a private seller wether they claimed the receiver was new or not(this is just my opinion), as you say buying from a reputable UK seller would be preferable.

I would agree with you on that point Smile
Dansco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark5290 wrote:
When it was paired how were the indicator lights on GPS unit, i think with the Polstar, the BT light stays on solid for a pairing and the GPS light will be solid red to indicate a fix, when TT crashed was it paired and receiving data?, what happens now when you start up TT and GPS unit?, you could try the pairing procedure again.

Yeah the BT light is solid but never seen it connected to the GPS to look at the light 8O It was paired and receiving data...

It crashed on the way back from cricket, where I paired it. Gonna try and pair it again when I'm out again. Wink
mark5290
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dansco wrote:
mark5290 wrote:

Yeah the BT light is solid but never seen it connected to the GPS to look at the light 8O It was paired and receiving data...

It crashed on the way back from cricket, where I paired it. Gonna try and pair it again when I'm out again. Wink

If you stick you GPS receiver near a window or go outside with it does it get a sat fix?.
Dansco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark5290 wrote:
Dansco wrote:
mark5290 wrote:

If you stick you GPS receiver near a window or go outside with it does it get a sat fix?.

Stuck it on my window sill and nothing happened. Was told to take it outside so I did and it fixed. Obviously before it lost it again Sad
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit mine is doing this...loosing signal every now and then for no apparent reason. I am using TT BT GPS mkII and TT5.
tomtomtap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: As before!!!! Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I use a BT GPS blootooth receiver with Tapwave Zodiac.
I used to use Mapopolis with no probs at all. If under trees or with heavy skies, the signal may be lost for a min or two, but then it re connects itself no probs.
With this expensive TT5 it loses signal even when stationary and then it makes you select the gps device from the list each time.This means that it strugles to get a fix again because you are moving.
I can't fathom it at all. How can it work ok for 5 mins, then lose the link to the GPS receiver when nothing has moved?
I guess I will have to sell it on Ebay and go back to old "Robot" voice with Mapopolis.
TTFN
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using 6260 with fortuna slim & ttm5 i have had no problems yet,
found out last night that i can have both bt gps & bt head set working at the same time!
on the 6600 i couldn't

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: