Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Version 2.22 !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Version 2.22 !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom Version 2.22 ! Reply with quote

Privateer,

I notice you are using an ipaq 3970 with the 2.10 uprade rom, and SD for your storage, when I upgraded my 3970 from 2.00 rom to 2.10 rom the maps were on my SD and I then found that TTN was very slow at responding , do you find it ok?

steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom Version 2.22 ! Reply with quote

Steve,

Did you manage to upgrade to 2.22?

I’ve had the whole system (iPAQ, TTNav2, etc.) for only just over a month. The iPAQ came with the 2.10 ROM and I’m loathed to down grade to 2.00 as I’ve heard such horror stories, mainly from people who didn’t adhere to the letter of the instructions.

I don’t find TTNav too slow, but then I’ve nothing to compare it to. I’ve not seen any other set-up so I don’t know how the speed of an iPAQ with the 2.00 ROM compares to my own.

Planning routes to/from POIs or favourites is relatively painless and I’ve not had many occurrences when the time has been over a minute, but I don’t as a rule time route planning.

Where I do find it slow is the address handling. E.g. to find Oxford as the city just took approximately 30 seconds (± 2 seconds). To find “Blue Boar street” took approximately 15 seconds (± 2 seconds). To find Marlborough Close took approximately 10 seconds. To cancel out of the street section (as if you’ve got the wrong one) can take up to 30 seconds. How does this compare with your set-up?

If you’d like to compare timings (and probably make me as sick as a parrot) then post up a route with its timings and timings for the address location finding. I’ll do the same and we’ll see how my 2.10 ROM affects things.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Johnty
Occasional Visitor

http://www.tomtom.com/support/ce/support/download_navigator2.php?Platform=2&Category=1&Language=1#whatsnew
mccart1d
Occasional Visitor

Privateer,

I have the same setup of 3970, Lexar 256MB Sd Card, TTNav and Checkpoint. With the 2.10 ROM I experienced very similar search times as you noted. I then downgraded to 2.00 ROM (a painless, but slow task - many minutes). Now the search times are down to just a few seconds of each of the elements, city, street. From your example of Oxford - 4 seconds, Blue Boar Street - 3 seconds, Marlborough Close - popped up after I had entered Marlb. Certainly downgradeing the ROM has improved any of the applications which accessed data on the SD Card.

Regards...........Dave
mark_p
Occasional Visitor

Installed the new version - works great. Nice to see that these guys are driving forward at a great pace with enhancements etc!

I tried to use the feature "Reset GPS for this location", with my EMTAC bluetooth, but I couldn't tell if it actually did anything! Does the EMTAC GPS device support this command?

Thanks

[PS I have the GPS driver set to EMTAC Wirelesss GPS rather than EMTAC CRUX because I read on this forum it was a better driver].

steve111
Occasional Visitor

Hi Privateer,

I managed to get ver. 2.22 of TTN2 to work ok, I reloaded the maps back onto my SD card and that did the trick, here are my timed results using an ipaq 3970 with ver 2.00 rom, and the maps on a 256 SD card :

Oxford = 3 secs.

Blue boar street = 5 secs

Marlborough close = 5 secs

to cancel out a street name = 3 secs

as you can see these times are much quicker than your ipaq due I think to the rom 2.10 ver, apparently this is a known issue, to do with the incorrect SD drivers in the ver. 2.10 rom (3970), causing a slow down as you've experienced, if you use a compact flash card to store your maps instead then you won't have a problem, but of course you'll need to buy a sleeve to use compact flash memory on the 3970, eventually it will be corrected by HP, if I were you I would downgrade to ver. 2.00 until they sort the SD driver problem out.

steve
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

One new problem with the new version of TTN is that with GPS Assist the speed dependent volume settings no longer appear to have any effect.

Looks like the 'improvement' made to TTN2 where it returns to the correct volume when TTN is exited, now causes this unfortunate side effect.

Oh and the problem with hardware button mapping with GPSAssist is still there.

Other than that it works very well and the improvements are nice.
Scott
Regular Visitor

Every time I've installed or upgraded Navigator (Versions 1 and 2) the 'TomTom Navigator' shortcut that gets installed in Start Menu->Programs disappears the first time I use the new program.

It's just happened again with 2.22.

FWIW the only way I've found to stop this is to manually create a new shortcut and call it something other that 'TomTom Navigator' (i.e. just 'Navigator' seems to persist).
Bondubasher
Occasional Visitor

Hi

This is my first post but I have been lurking for some time.

I have just upgraded to TTN222 and find that the "more" button is not displayed in the Navigator menu without this I cannot switch to the second and third pages.

I have a compaq 3850 with a Navman 3000.

I have tried reinstalling any suggestions welcome.

----------------

Colin
TimB
Occasional Visitor

This might sound daft, but I thought I would ask first rather than search around the HP website!

I have a 3970 about two months old with version 2.10.1 in it. Should I want to downgrade, exactly how do I go about it? (What is the link to the download page?)

And what, if any are the pitfalls, and it is easy & harmless to "upgrade" again if I don't feel the benefit. Any other pro's & con's?

Yours

Tim
steve111
Occasional Visitor

Hi TimB,

This is the link for rom ver 2.00 for the ipaq 3970 :

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/17394.html

This is the link for rom ver 2.10 for the ipaq 3970 :

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/17002.html

hope this is of help,

steve
Garry Platt
Regular Visitor

Iv'e downgraded and provided you follow the instructions to the letter it's painless, but worth it. Navigator calculations fly under 2.00.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: