Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Software-only package unlikely to be released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Software-only package unlikely to be released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aiw_2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Software-only package unlikely to be released Reply with quote

Just to let you know, I've been in touch with TomTom today, and apparently, there won't be an official software-only package of Navigator 5. This is very disappointing, because I've already got a GPS receiver which works fine with my PDA. All I need is the application and maps. The software-only packages being advertised appear to be the TomTom bundles split up (according to TomTom).

I hope that the guy in Tomtom support who told me this is wrong, because I've been waiting for it to be released for quite some time now. Anyway, I just thought I would let you know.

Best regards,
aiw_2000
jimbo09990
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds to me like the tomtom guy was wrong. This doesn't look like a split up pack to me. Mind you, they don't have it in stock yet!

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?flt=soft&category_id=81&vt=list&hp=Pocket+PC%2Ccategory_id%3D81&product_id=1737

Regards

James
HielandLad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a software only TT5 with no problems right at launch.
MartinBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. It says advertised on that link "FREE SPEED CAMERA DATABASE DOWNLOAD with this product".

Is this the safety camera demo you get with "Plus" or are they actually giving a complete DB download?

Plurality should not be posited without necessity
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt it's tomtom database ,you might find it is from this website although don't take my word ,someone will know though
aiw_2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, I'm a little confused by the whole situation. The reply I got from TomTom about this is:

At this time our management is unsure if we will make this [software-only package of Navigator 5] available but sometimes distributors will have the ability to sell parts of the bundles. That is why you need to ask the dealer. At this time we are really unsure if we will have a software only package available to customers.

...which contradicts their own FAQ. Very strange!

HielandLad: where did you get your copy from?

aiw_2000
HielandLad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it from GPS for Less. Try the link below:

http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/product_details.php?id=1216&PHPSESSID=9cbf91f1c70a02219a112feea96a941a

(apologies for the split link) It is currently selling for £114.99. It comes on an SD Card in an original TT box with credit card activation code, etc. Activated without problem.

You can't get the full set of CDs with the plus maps as this is only available for new TT users by buying the European maps.

I received the product without problem and really quickly from the above.

Hope this helps.
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
i doubt it's tomtom database ,you might find it is from this website although don't take my word ,someone will know though

I've got a thread related to this somewhere in the 'Retailers' forum. I bought TTN5 from PDAMods (with GPS receiver - though they sell it without the receiver too, and its 'in stock'). They sent an e-mail containing the Speed Camera database and it definately seemed to originate from Tomtom support. I never actually opened it - it was just easier to download the one from this site. I suppose there's always the chance that Tomtom got theirs from here too!
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should sell it as software only because all that will happen is that people who already have GPS receivers instead of buying the software, they'll get a copied version.

There will always be people who pirate software, however if you refuse to supply the software that people want then of course they are going to turn to piracy.
gpsdell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone else is confused but I certainly am Confused All I want is to buy TTN5 software to run an a PDA and GPS system I already have. The cheapest I have seen it is on Amazon for £95, but not in stock along with most retailers. And TomTom website doesn't even have it listed as a product, although the FAQ says it is available. How can software be out of stock? What do they do write the code for each customer who buys it?

Here's an idea for TomTom, allow people to purchase the software as a download from the website.

Rant over Smile

Is it worth holding out for this to become available or I am better off looking at an alternative product? Or maybe buying TTN3 now and then get an upgrade, mind you that works out quite expensive.

Dave
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpsdell wrote:

Is it worth holding out for this to become available or I am better off looking at an alternative product? Or maybe buying TTN3 now and then get an upgrade, mind you that works out quite expensive.

Whats wrong with the link that HielandLad posted? Seems like a good deal to me. PDAMods have also got the 'software only' in stock but its a bit more expensive. I doubt you'll get it much cheaper at the moment.
gpsdell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right, I did look at that one. Two things put me off it.

1. It comes with a 128 MB SD card, which is a waste, I would prefer one bigger or none at all.

2. Considering the SD card would cost about £10, the package is £10 more than amazon.co.uk.

I think I will very quickly get bored of waiting and order it from them anyway Smile
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpsdell wrote:
You might be right, I did look at that one. Two things put me off it.

1. It comes with a 128 MB SD card, which is a waste, I would prefer one bigger or none at all.

2. Considering the SD card would cost about £10, the package is £10 more than amazon.co.uk.

I think I will very quickly get bored of waiting and order it from them anyway Smile

The 128mb SD card is just that same as the one that the full TTN5 (including receiver) comes with. In fact its highly likely that any retailers selling the software only have just split the full package into seperate receiver and software and selling each at a premium.

I'm surprised the one on Amazon comes on CD-ROM - I've never seen this advertised anywhere else. It may be that this is the official Tomtom software-only product in whaich case it may be some time before they have it in stock Laughing
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxi wrote:

In fact its highly likely that any retailers selling the software only have just split the full package into seperate receiver and software and selling each at a premium.

Just to clarify, I meant any retailers with it in stock.

Maxi wrote:
It may be that this is the official Tomtom software-only product in whaich case it may be some time before they have it in stock Laughing

Just had another look and it says something about 29th July 2005 Exclamation
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like TomTom might not sell a software-only package themselves but they will allow distributors and retailers to do so.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: