Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No avoid areas feature: install TTN5 or wait for an update?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No avoid areas feature: install TTN5 or wait for an update?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeIB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: No avoid areas feature: install TTN5 or wait for an update? Reply with quote

I received TTN5 this morning after 2 weeks. I'm now hesistant to install it after all the reports of problems, and in particular the absence of the avoid areas feature. Are there alternative features that can be used as a substitute for avoid areas? If I can't avoid errors for things like one way systems, or closed off roads that aren't on the map or avoid traffic hot spots like city centres, surely TTN5 must be a retrogade step.

Can anyone who used to use avoid areas tell me whether the pros of TTN5's new features outweigh the lack of this feature?
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can still use avoid but you have to do it every trip
well you have options you can calculate alternatives ,also avoid roadblock ,travel via and avoid part of route ..+ minimise traffic delay if you have traffic
in cal alternative you have a few options as well
fastest/shortest/avoid motorways/walking/bicycle/limited speed

i used to use avoid for roads i would never go on but tt would try make me use
1 example was tunbridgewells to biggin hill it made me go on the m25 then turn off onto a contruction road which was closed
MikeIB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I'm not clear though whether I can, for instance, avoid an area such as the centre of Croydon? I don't use the traffic facility (too costly) so I avoid areas that I know will be congested. What you describe sounds rather like the (can't remember the exact name) avoid the next 100m, 200m etc of the next few roads coming up which you can select while driving in TTN3. On that basis, it sounds far less flexible than the avoid areas function.

So I am right in thinking that you can (i) avoid a road or part of a road but (ii) it's not possible to avoid an area? If so, does any one know whether Tom Tom are likely to add back the original (seemingly superior) capability?
Rifleman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeIB wrote:
Thanks.

I'm not clear though whether I can, for instance, avoid an area such as the centre of Croydon? I don't use the traffic facility (too costly) so I avoid areas that I know will be congested. What you describe sounds rather like the (can't remember the exact name) avoid the next 100m, 200m etc of the next few roads coming up which you can select while driving in TTN3. On that basis, it sounds far less flexible than the avoid areas function.

So I am right in thinking that you can (i) avoid a road or part of a road but (ii) it's not possible to avoid an area? If so, does any one know whether Tom Tom are likely to add back the original (seemingly superior) capability?

In my opinion the loss of the "avoid area" option is a complete disaster. Once you have a route plotted you can ( by a ridiculous number of screen taps ) avoid parts of the route but only those that TT5 will let you. On a recent trip to France for instance I let TT5 plot a route which went via the centre of Paris. When selecting avoid part of route it offered various road numbers but also "PARIS". When I selected this it put a large circle around Paris and replotted the route.

Noticed also that if you plot an itinerary ( and you can't do that without a valid GPS fix, what a joke !! ) and select some roads to avoid then save the itinerary, when you reload the itinerary the avoids are forgotten and you have to enter them all over again !!!
Complete pants. Don't install it until there is a MAJOR update....
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you plot an itninerary? I can. Plot it, save it - load it when you want to travel. What it won't do navigate an itinerary without a fix meaning you can't view it. But planning it is fine.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why can't you plot an itninerary? I can. Plot it, save it - load it when you want to travel. What it won't do navigate an itinerary without a fix meaning you can't view it. But planning it is fine.

That is all perfectly correct but I consider viewing the calculated route as an essential part of planning. This is to ensure that the route actually goes where you intended and takes the roads that you prefer. The Advanced Planning feature does this so why not the Itinerary Planing?
With no GPS fix the only problem arises with the route starting point, but other navigation software manages this by allowing you to set a starting point for the itinerary in order to allow advance route calculation. If you then recall the route the actual GPS fix can be substituted for the temporary start point.

Roger
MikeIB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to do a full backup of my machine and then give TTN5 a go. And what can I say... I prefer the interface in many ways - particulary the ability to turn the screen around 90 degrees, see the road names while navigating, and the POI warning system. But, more importantly, the route quality is diminished.

As pretty much expected, without the avoid area facility the product is much less useful. Try avoiding a town centre and you end up driving miles out of your way. Try avoiding several altered road layouts and firstly it's very difficult and secondly it doesn't really work. Since this isn't a bug per se, I don't suppose we'll see a fix for this problem in the near future. A real shame as I'm going to seriously consider reverting to the old maps that came with TTN3.

I'm also amazed at the road speeds. It seems to assume you'll average 37 mph in a 30 mph zone (at least if you try the demo mode). In addition to it's illegality, the likelihood of that speed being achieved in town seems highly remote (at least anywhere I drive).
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use avoid part of route under find alternative
it blocks out quite a large chunk of an area you want to avoid ,i have used it a number of times and works quite well
ok so it doesn't stay there like tt3 ,but you can still use it when you want
MikeIB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it might work if you want to avoid a road or avoid a small village in the middle of nowhere, but try avoiding a city centre and you'll end up miles out - it's just too coarse. In my short experience it has been hopeless.
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the town where I live, there are still a number of unmade roads. Also, due to road building, a couple of roads have become dead-ends. In TTN3, I used the "avoid area" facility to avoid these roads so that I wouldn't be navigated down them at the start of each journey. Now that TT have done away with this function in TTN5, it always sends me down unmade roads, so I have to use my local knowledge and wait for TTN5 catch up.

I think it was a useful facility, which partially made up for the old maps they're (still) using. If TT can't get their maps up to date, they should consider reintroducing the avoid area function.

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: