Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Navigator 5 City maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Navigator 5 City maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Navigator 5 City maps Reply with quote

I see from the tomtom site that as part of tomtom plus you can download city maps for the USA at a fixed cost of 9.95 Euros. Has anyone done this successfully?

I'm off to Orlando in a couple of weeks and see that there are at least 2 maps for the Orlando area - anyone know which map covers the key attractions ideally as builtin POI's?

Thanks
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where on their site are they? I've tried clicking 'Get maps' but it doesn't seem to give me a link to view or buy any??
Paul Carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

As far as I can see you can't download these from the website.
You need to use TOMTOM and select download extras, then download map.
Do not do this using a gprs connection as some maps are very large >1.5 Mb. Best thing is link PPC to your PC via activesync make sure the PC has a connection to the internet the connect ppc to the internet using it.

I would like to know what sort of area each map covers. Say you downloaded the map of London would it go out as far as the M25?
I need a map of Milwaukee in the US. But not sure if it covers just the city cantre or the whole of the Milwaukee area.

Anybody know what areas these maps cover.

Paul

Ipaq 3870 PPC2002
Product Revision 2.0
Rom Revision 2.20.21 ENG
Emtac BT GPS Motorola V3 Silver
TomTom 5 Traffic
TomTom 3 Traffic Checkpoint v3
Feby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kissinuk wrote:
Where on their site are they? I've tried clicking 'Get maps' but it doesn't seem to give me a link to view or buy any??

I don't think it can be done from the PC - The only way I can access the maps is from my IPAQ connected to the net via an ActiveSync connection via the PC. On the IPAR you go to the "download extras" option from the main menu.

Once selected it takes you to the "Download Extras" menu from which you select the "download a map" option.

From the next menu select "North America"

From the next "USA Florida"

On the next type "Orlando"

you then get the option of downloading a range of maps each of which is charged at 9.95 Euros. My question was asking if anyone knew which of the Orlando map options you need to cover the key attractions?
rikmartin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feby wrote:
kissinuk wrote:

I don't think it can be done from the PC - The only way I can access the maps is from my IPAQ connected to the net via an ActiveSync connection via the PC. On the IPAR you go to the "download extras" option from the main menu.

Once selected it takes you to the "Download Extras" menu from which you select the "download a map" option.

From the next menu select "North America"

From the next "USA Florida"

On the next type "Orlando"

you then get the option of downloading a range of maps each of which is charged at 9.95 Euros. My question was asking if anyone knew which of the Orlando map options you need to cover the key attractions?

I tried downloading the orlando map also via the PDA,, it says I cant do this via the pda, and can only do it on the website,,, yet the website doesnt offer a solution either

Very annoying and typical of tomtoms customer service
Paul Carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Map Downloads Reply with quote

Hi I am still unable to down load any additional maps, either with my PPC and TT5 of from my PC.
Has anybody managed to do this yet?

Rolling Eyes

Ipaq 3870 PPC2002
Product Revision 2.0
Rom Revision 2.20.21 ENG
TomTom 5 Traffic
Paul Carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Don't try to download the City Maps Reply with quote

I have been trying to down load these and failed.
So I logged a call with TT Support. This is what was asked and the reply.

-------------------------------------
Customer 28/06/2005 02.30 PM
Where can I down load City Maps. There are NO options on TomTom Plus to down load. if I try to use my pad using download extras, download map, it tells me t download maps from TomTom Web site.How can I download the aditional city Maps.Where should I download them from. How do I install them once I have downloaded them.If you find the City mao for the area you are traveling to what area is covered? 5 Miles, 10 miles, 25 Miles, or 50 Miles from the city centre.P.S Will it take over a week to answer this question like the others I have submitted?????.....

--------------------------------------
Response 30/06/2005 07.19 AM
Dear Mr xxxx,
Thank you for contacting TomTom.Due to the tremendous success of our upgrade offer for all TomTom products, we have received so many queries over the past weeks that is has become impossible for us to answer all of them within the two working days which we communicated to you before. We are doing everything possible to solve this, but do ask for your understanding. Because most questions are related to a few topics only, we believe that by sending this automatic e-mail, we are able to answer most of all unanswered questions at once. By doing so we can answer half of the questions a lot faster and at the same time focus on the remaining ones. We kindly ask you to visit the following FAQ, which is especially designed for these questions and we hope to have answered yours : http://www.tomtom.com/3273If this FAQ doesn’t answer your question, we ask you to update your question so we can answer it as soon as possible. At the end of the FAQ, we’ve added a link on which you can click, or which you can copy into your browser. If you log into your MyTomTom area, you can update your question.We apologize for any inconvenience our response delay has caused to you. With kind regards,The TomTom Upgrade Team
. With kind regards,The TomTom Upgrade Team.

----------------------------------------
This didn't answer the question so I tried again.
----------------------------------------
Customer 30/06/2005 10.57 AM
Thank you for your response its as helpfull as normal (NOT).Your automated response did NOT answer the question that I ask.Here is the question again."Where can I down load City Maps. There are NO options on TomTom Plus to down load. if I try to use my pad using download extras, download map, it tells me t download maps from TomTom Web site.How can I download the aditional city Maps.Where should I download them from. How do I install them once I have downloaded them.If you find the City mao for the area you are traveling to what area is covered? 5 Miles, 10 miles, 25 Miles, or 50 Miles from the city centre."

-----------------------------------------
Response 30/06/2005 12.08 PM
Dear Mr xxxx,Thank you for your e-mail.For the moment the City map download service is not available. When exactly we do not know yet we are still working on it to make it available.For the moment please keep an eye one the website for the coming weeks.With best regards,The TomTom Customer Support Team

-----------------------------------------

To conclude then there are no City maps available!!!
8O
Regardless of what the web site or the product documentation tells you.
I will have to get the paper maps.
Evil or Very Mad

Ipaq 3870 PPC2002
Product Revision 2.0
Rom Revision 2.20.21 ENG
TomTom 5 Traffic
gps0000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to download the Map of Orlando from TomTom.

On the main TomTom website I selected my profile.

Selecting Get Maps brings up another page with a link:
-> Buy and Download maps

Once selected and paid for, you get an email that allows you to download
them onto your PC. These are self extracting setup programs
that lets you save them to a folder on your PC or to send them to your Palm via Hotsysnc. You do need to activate them.

I did try the Download Extras method via a Bluetooth Lan, but my T3 hangs when contacting the server. I too got the "We are too busy to help you at the moment" when I contacted support about this issue.

I got the main Orlando FL map that has Disney just in the corner.

At EURO 9.95 I think the maps are expensive and there is no way to see exactly what is covered by each map. A colleague told me that Toronto for example, needs 5 maps for complete coverage.
Paul Carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Download of city maps now enabled. Reply with quote

Hi All

TomTom have today enabled the City Map download.
I have just downloaded the city map for Milawukee.
I downloaded it to my PC and then installed to a folder on my Pc and then copied the folder to my SD card. This worked well and I have the installation file saved on to my PC. I am not sure how many times you could download it from TomTom.
The map cost just under £7. TomTom email you with a download link and an activation code, tis is needed after you install the map. I would sugest that afterinstalling the map you connect your PPC to your PC using active sync and connect the PPc to the internet ysing the PC connection to activate the map.
All i all this was quite a painless process after the TomTom enabled the map downlaod part of the site.
Hope this will help some people.

Just a note I have not found out how much each map covers of the city.
Would be great if TomTom could indicate the area the maps cover before you download them.

Ipaq 3870 PPC2002
Product Revision 2.0
Rom Revision 2.20.21 ENG
TomTom 5 Traffic
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone confirm how much the Orlando map covers?

We are going to the US on Saturday. We're in New York 1st but then we fly on to Orlando, collect a hire car from the airport and have a villa.

If I buy the Orlando, FL map, will it have the airport, villa and parks on?

Thanks

Ian
GlenW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: LA and Las Vegas Maps Reply with quote

I have downloaded the LA and Las Vegas maps (with the iPaq connected via Activsync. The Vegas map covers all of the city and some of the suburbs further afield. The LA map need three separate downloads to get the whole of it - not particularly good value.

Map detail looks fine with similar POIs to the UK maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: