Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 - Disappointed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 - Disappointed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazza09
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: TTN5 - Disappointed Reply with quote

Had a play with the new TTN5 and to be quite frank I am very disappointed with it.

It has less functionality that TTN3 and you cannot personalise menus etc.

The POI warning sounds are limited to bells beeps and cow sounds but no voices.

You cannot use Checkpoint or the voice files with TTN5.

When you turn the the voice directions off it also turns off the POI warnings.

The GPS side seems to be very sluggish compared to TTN3. After turning a corner, I travelled approximately 200 yards before the gps caught up.

If you go off the planned route, the GPS takes ages to recalculate the route. You would probably miss the next available turning when this occurs.

I am also suspicious of the currency of the maps. I pointed out a map error to TomTom some time back (River Thames missing from between Kingston Bridge and Hampton Court Bridge). This error is still there.

I have reverted back to TTN3 which I considered to be far superior to TTN5.

Why has TomTom messed around with what could potentially have been a good product?
Rifleman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I quite agree. It's total pants and should never have been released in my opinion ! :x
It's full of bugs and way, way behind TT3 in functionality. Evil or Very Mad
The number of screen taps required to do the simplest of tasks is far greater than in TT3. Crying or Very sad
So called "Advanced Planning" is anything but, it just doesn't work !
The loss of area avoids is the biggest mistake, the new itinerary planner doesn't save the avoided roads with the itinerary so you have to re-input them every time you want to use the intinerary. Evil or Very Mad

Total crap, hope TomTom aren't going the same way as Microsoft and Autoroute 2005 with their annual downgrades..... Wink
Filler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: tt5 dissapointed Reply with quote

I am right with you all on this, wished i hadn't installed, am thinking of going back to tt3.

the alternative routes, is also more complex, now youve got to enter a town or place to go via.

The loss of checkpoint is a headache, as you now have to listen to jane just to get the camera warnings.

Where have my lovely camera icons gone, now all i have is a red square Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Blackberry Storm
iphone 3gs

Kenwood 5520bt with garmin built in
TT wired GPS - Rikaline Bluetooth 6030 GPS - CF307 CF card GPS - 512mb sd card - sprite full updated, and tt3 , 3.07. 256mb CF card - Win XP SP2 upgrad
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TTN5 is sat gathering dust in its box until a major update is released.
I cannot get my money back because the software has been opened as is not classed as faulty (just crap!).
I have had various communications with TomTom but they have got my money now so are not really interested.
All they say is that the have passed my comments on to the development team.
This version has obviously not been tested in the 'real world' otherwise it wouldn't have been released in this state.

I certainly won't rush in and buy the next new version thats released, not until going onto forums such as these first.

These forums have given me ten times more useful information than TomTom have :D
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not true that you can't get a refund if you have opened it. I emailed and wrote to TomTom and they gave me a returns number to progress the process. In the event I have decided to wait and hope for a patch (particularly to enable off line itinerary planning)
You need to contact them within 14 days of receiving the goods. My letter was very polite - I just explained why the absence of a fully functional itinerary planner made TT5 less suitable for my purposes than TT3
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Skai
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm missing the manually adjustable road speeds, because TTN5 is calculating really wrong travel or arrival times...every other route planner does it better, the TTN3 was far better in this case...
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Skids.

My copy of TT5 is sitting under my coffee table. My brother upgraded and reckons I've done right by sticking with TT3.

I wonder if anyone has cracked making TT5 maps work with TT3?
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
It's not true that you can't get a refund if you have opened it. I emailed and wrote to TomTom and they gave me a returns number to progress the process. In the event I have decided to wait and hope for a patch (particularly to enable off line itinerary planning)
You need to contact them within 14 days of receiving the goods. My letter was very polite - I just explained why the absence of a fully functional itinerary planner made TT5 less suitable for my purposes than TT3
Robin

I have tried to get a refund with no luck both from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk where I bought it from (But I am not having a go at them as they have always been helpful) and from TomTom themselves with no luck.
nigelp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone back to TT3.

I think tt5 is a backwards step.

was unimpressed with tt5. shame cant use new maps with tt3.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All TomTom have done is to effectively down grade the PPC to a TT Go 300.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally started with TTN 1 on my iPaq and then upgraded to TTN2 but skipped TTN3 as I didn't think I needed anything extra apart from new Maps. I eventually fell for the TT upgrade to TTN5 on the basis that my maps were well out of date now.
I am really disappointed Sad

I wonder if they would downgrade me to TTN3 Confused

They obviously didn't try TTN5 in the real world before releasing it. The new un-configurable menus are cumbersome.

Where are the neat things like being able to allocate a button to frequently used things like Navigate me Home?

Not being able to use GPSAssist or CheckPOInt is a major problem, as they have not built in as useful features to TTN5.

One question I have, as i purchased an upgrade, is it possible to install TTN5 onto a memory card? (Or copy it across)?
Filler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: ttn5 dissapointed Reply with quote

The speed display is so small now, i have had to turn my screen through 90 degrees to get a larger font.

The biggest failure, is that when you turn off the voice, you dont get the POI warnings.

i am going to go back to TT3 i think, however my Rikaline bluetooth reciever works with TT5 and not TT3 although using the forums, i found i had to configure it as other wired.

AHHHH another download weekend ! Rolling Eyes

Blackberry Storm
iphone 3gs

TT wired GPS - Rikaline Bluetooth 6030 GPS - CF307 CF card GPS - 512mb sd card - sprite full updated, and tt3 , 3.07. 256mb CF card - Win XP SP2 upgrad
TomTom-Paul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filler,

There is a thread on here, somewhere Wink , that give a link to a voice file set that are all silent, which allows that warnings to keep going without giving verbal directions.

Cheers
Paul
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom-Paul wrote:
There is a thread on here, somewhere Wink , that give a link to a voice file set that are all silent, which allows that warnings to keep going without giving verbal directions.

Cheers
Paul

It's at http://www.rayflanagan.co.uk/silent.html

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Filler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: tt5 dissapointed Reply with quote

Thanks all

i had found it at the checkpoint forum earlier today

nigel Idea

Blackberry Storm
iphone 3gs

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: