Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where did TomTom get the postcodes from for TTN5?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where did TomTom get the postcodes from for TTN5?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Where did TomTom get the postcodes from for TTN5? Reply with quote

When I upgraded, I thought I'd check some "known" postcodes to see how it works. It's disappointing to see that not only is my current postcode going to the wrong street, so is my parents and where I'm moving to. Confused

Each time, it has a different road on the same estate. I can only guess that they plotted a single point for each postcode and then took the nearest street name to that point. If so, this would seem to be a bit dodgy.

If they had checked against ANY official postcode system, they would have had the right road name and maybe would have been able to plot the dot in the right place (ie on the road it refers to).

Is this a general problem across the country or am I just extremely unlucky? :x
Brodit ProClip mount
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the postcodes ot navigate ot farms - TT gets me straight to the farm gate in most cases, just sing the postcode.
nnishp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have this problem too, my road doenst come up as my postcode on ttn5, it takes me elsewhere
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each Postcode generates a lat/long which TT then links to the nearest road. Then a house number, or crossing, is requested for added accuracy.

If roads are close together it is possible for TT to latch to the wrong road.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jupiter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. The postcode app that digitools used to do was excellent until he had to take it off due to copyrights! :x
sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the postcode program from Jose Adell. It works with TT5 and I find it excellent. Not free but very reasonably priced.

See http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23045 for info on where to get it.

Mike
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
Oldboy wrote:
Each Postcode generates a lat/long which TT then links to the nearest road. Then a house number, or crossing, is requested for added accuracy.

If roads are close together it is possible for TT to latch to the wrong road.

That's the way Niels add-on or mine works, but not sure at all is the system TomTom adopted.

I stand to be corrected, but Postcodes in TomTom only will work if you have the map for them.

TomTom Postcodes came from TeleAtlas maps and they are linked to objects in the map. Again standing to be corrected.

I did proposed time ago a test: May be somebody knows a new settlement, made in the last two years, that still not in maps, but with well known postcode.

Just type the postcode and let us know if you get it. Even in midle of nowhere, like woudl be the case with digitools add-on or mine.

That could enlight if postcodes and objects in maps are or not dependants and if they are then to be in a place or other is just an error in the database.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
blurredout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in knowing what maps people are using when they get these problems, are they the GB map or the GB PLUS map?
Also could someone give some example postcodes that show this problem.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be careful with postcodes - in the past I have used navigation systems based on full post codes which have failed - for example, becasue the property is new and the post code in the database shows the post code as being at the local sorting office, not at the new street (even where the street is included) - or, in the case of a buisness that had its own postcode - the business moved and took the post code with it, but the database had not been updated. Similarly, I have found that navigating to Government Offices by postcode can be pointless as the postcode may refer to the location post is delivered and sorted, not to the location of the building in the address.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomada wrote:

I stand to be corrected, but Postcodes in TomTom only will work if you have the map for them.

The TomTom Postcode file will apparently work with the older maps, so I assumed that they return a lat/long similar to a normal Navigate to Address.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oldboy,

Oldboy wrote:
The TomTom Postcode file will apparently work with the older maps, so I assumed that they return a lat/long similar to a normal Navigate to Address.

It could be, I don't know. I just know what I was told by OS about the way postcodes are bundled in TeleAtlas maps, as they proceed too from OS.

Regards,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TomTom-Paul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredout, try B6 4AA in either of the uk maps.
It should point to St Stephens Street which is due north of where it does point.

Geopostcode got it right.

Cheers
Paul
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul
TomTom-Paul wrote:
blurredout, try B6 4AA in either of the uk maps.
It should point to St Stephens Street which is due north of where it does point.

Geopostcode got it right.

Cheers
Paul

Well, I want to be honest here. I did check it and my add-on and ttn5, withouth any house number, then both are in the same point. What happens is that TTN5 gives it for High Street as it is the nearest street. But look at the cursor in the centre of the screen, it is the real position for the postcode, whilst High Street is on the left of the screen.
TomTom-Paul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
I thought you had to enter a house number when it asked.

Cheers
Paul
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

TomTom-Paul wrote:
Embarassed
I thought you had to enter a house number when it asked.

Cheers
Paul

I think to have read in this forum house number are just shared proportionally in the leg of street in TomTom program, but not for real.

When I was working as courier I tried several times to include the house number, only to get away from the place. Postcode was much more accurate.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: