Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go300 or Navman iCN510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go300 or Navman iCN510

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomoney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Tomtom Go300 or Navman iCN510 Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new to Sat Nav and am considering purchase of either TTG300 or Navman iCN510 (autoexpress best buy 2005), each being promoted a suitable for newcomer & cheapish. I also want to share with my wife in her car, both being occasional users only.
Having searched multpile sites the cheapest deala I can find (for available stock) are with Dixons (inc £25 discount via DISCOUNT25 code on web):

£314 Navman
£345 TTG300

I'm tempted by portability of Navman & fact is is cheaper, but don't want to make a big mistake. My concerns on each which I'd appreciate honest feedback from current owners are:

Navman:
Is voice level a problem (TTG seems to have speed linked volume)?
Fit to windsceen only - no dashboard mount?
Postcode search problems?
3D as good as TTG?
Screen brightness problems (not as good as TTG)?
SD128 included std for UK?

TTG300:
No mains power as std - is this really required?
Not very portable?
SD128 included std for UK?
Loses signal easily?

I need to buy within next week, so apprecaite any input. Laughing
P.S. sorry for long post Embarassed
gpsmonster_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is i would go for the GO, this is my personal opinion i just like there software application better than the rest. But if you are going to to be traveling into europe Totalpda will be doing a ICN 510 gold package at a very nice price.
nickspruce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: tomtom go 300 or navman icn 510 Reply with quote

Hi

I am in exactly the same position as you although i have also been considering the Mio 268 and the Garmin Quest V7. Have you looked at these two also? Great tip btw for getting £25 off the dixons price! It's a shame that dixons don't sell the Mio or the Garmin. The Mio is available for £275 and the Garmin for £330 from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Do you or anyone else know which of these devices allows FULL postcode address search rather than just the first 3 characters which only identifies an area rather than an address?

Cheers
Smile
nomoney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - TomTom has full postcode search, iCN510 has 5 digit search.
After a demo of iCN510 and the fact it was £30 cheaper & included mains adapter, I decided to purchase it. Time wil tell if I made the correct decision.....
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the issues you have raised with the TTG300 and Navman. I looked at these units. I eventually bought the new Garmin Streetpilot C320. I am very happy with this choice.

I bought this unit because:

I was concerned about reports of poor GPS reception and maps on the other units(check the forums).

I have had good experiences with Navtech maps, the other units use Teleatlas

I have had Garmin products before, I have found they have a good GPS reception, and are excellent performers.

The unit includes an excellent window mount, mains charger, and maps of europe on CD.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: