Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps/CDs of Europe for Tom Tom Nav.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps/CDs of Europe for Tom Tom Nav.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Maps/CDs of Europe for Tom Tom Nav. Reply with quote

You have to be carefull buying CF cards on Ebay...some are of poor quality and slow.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

is one of the best places to buy memory of all types.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Maps/CDs of Europe for Tom Tom Nav. Reply with quote

I agree with u, I will go for the cheapest as long as it is either a reputable company, or if off e-bay, a reputable named variety. With the 'buy now' facility you can buy them from the US or Far East, and avoid the VAT. All in all there is not much in it.

Steve ;c)
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by SteveW on 02 June 2003

Hollis_F

<<Wow! Only £3.31 more than a brand new one from Valueflash.>>

The one I bought was a new SANDISK still in the original wrapper. I understand CF was invented by Sandisk. Credit me with a little sense.
Well, if you want to pay extra for a name, that's up to you. All I can say is that the only card I've ever had fail (and I've used over twenty CF cards) was a Sandisk. And most complaints on the PPC fora are about Sandisk.

Over the last few years I've used the cheapest generic cards I can buy from a reputable company. Never had a problem/

SteveW
Frequent Visitor

Just checked out the Valueflash site - 256Mb Compact Flash £41-11 plus P+P. Be amazed - new ones are cheaper on e-bay than Value flash.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

Hollis_F

<<Wow! Only £3.31 more than a brand new one from Valueflash.>>

The one I bought was a new SANDISK still in the original wrapper. I understand CF was invented by Sandisk. Credit me with a little sense. If I could find the equivalent cheaper I would buy it. What make does the Value flash sell and are you saying it is only £32 including VAT?

Steve
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Different brand cards can make a difference, but the main difference is to set them aside from the real cheap ones that fail almost immediately.

I have to say I've been going with unbranded cards (or less known makes not Sandisk or Lexar) and I've never had a failure.   I've never had a failure on any of my MMC/SD cards, CF cards or even IBM MicroDrives. I wish I was that lucky with cars, as it seems to be adversley opposite!
nicgrant
Occasional Visitor

I brought 256Mb cards from monil tech mobtech.co.uk(£59 + VAT) you can do a deal with them!: montech.co.uk. I brought my Tom Tom kit from them and they gave me a really good deal - try them.
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

From notes I made around 3 months ago the general pattern seemed to be that valueflash were cheaper for lower capacity cards, but ebay tended to be much cheaper for higher capacities. The same seems to be true today, except that prices have fallen by about 10% to 20%. However, I can't find a 512MB SD card on ebay to compare with the valueflash price.

The globalpositioningsystems price for Europe Maps looks like a seriously good bargain (£124.99 all-in, compared with TomTom's price of 189 euros presumably with a delivery charge on top.)

It clearly pays to shop around!

Changing the subject slightly .... one thing I'm not clear about is whether the brand of memory cards matters. I see that the valueflash website mentions different guarantee periods. Are there also differences in terms of performance, such as read and/or write speed? The commonest brand on ebay seems to be Sandisk. Is this thought to be an OK brand?

Hugh
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I tried Valueflash for the first time this week and was immensley impressed with their service and prices. I purchased 2x512mb SD's, next day delivery and not only were they the cheapest around, but I even received a call on my mobile saying they would send one out for the next day, but they were then out of stock, but they'd get one in the next day and send that out Special Delivery also.

Yeah right I thought, it's going to be a weeks wait. Nope, exactly how they said it would be.   Two days after ordering I'm now running 2x512MB SD cards in my iPAQ's now
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by SteveW on 29 May 2003

256Meg CF on ebay £36 plus £5 postage.....

Steve

Wow! Only £3.31 more than a brand new one from Valueflash.

I never cease to be amazed how many people pay more for something on ebay than the goods cost new.

Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

I wonder what the latest news is on the set of europe CDs that the Tom Tom site used to mention? There is no mention of it at the moment . . . at least, not that I can find. We had placed an order for these CDs but the retailer has cancelled our order. Buffy :0)
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

256Meg CF on ebay £36 plus £5 postage.....

Steve
FishSlice
Occasional Visitor

since you don't state a price its hard to gauge, but I got my 512meg CF card from expansys for 80quid.

Si
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

Oh and the cheapest place I have found to buy CF cards is on ebay - you can get them sent from the states unless anyone knows better......
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

I got mine from http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk good service and only £124.99 inc VAT & free postage

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: