Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I am not sure that you can easily plan multiple trips on the PC and save them all in CoPilot though. Anyone know how Confused

You can save any amount of trips on to the PPC from the PC, only limited by storage capacity.
Just navigate to, saved trip, the only problem is that if you do the return journey by navigate to home, it will use the default routing. So if you use an outward trip with way points then you also need to do a return one with way points if you want to come back by the same route.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix776

This thread is about workarounds and as much if not more about other issues as well. That has come about because people introduce side issues as the debate goes on, and it applies equally other threads. I share your frustration, but the only way to improve the situation is through the forum's structure and management. As it is probably going to remain open for users to continue adding their thoughts in ways that don't necessarily match the thread's heading, maybe there needs to be an alphabetical index so that topics can be found more easily??

As I have suggested before, it is always open to anyone to start a new thread with a precis of all workarounds known to them, and to invite others to add to it, while at the same time appealing to them to exclude other issues. The workarounds would need to be completely successful or, if not, the limitations would need to be described. The entries would also need to be unambiguously and clearly writen, if the desire to keep it uncluttered was to be realised.

Having said that, here are my observations on the current workaround-related issue, raised by Topgazza.

There are those of us who can rarely take advantage of desktop planning.

I often have to set the PPC to find 30 or more routes a day, and I cannot predict in advance where I want to go. As each route may be 60% or more longer than necessary, I have to add waypoints, which frequently malfunction. Route optimisation should help, but it too is faulty. This seems to be beyond any workaround, but I'd be pleased to hear of one.

As with the desktop PC, a satisfactory route can certainly be planned on the PPC by entering more and more waypoints until it finally accepts the proposed route (as described elsewhere on this forum). I suppose that could be called a workaround, but it costs a great deal of wasted time.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 30-40 trips saved in my CP5 program and all have been transfered by drag and drop through "My Computer" to the Co Pilot "save" folder my CF card on my PDA, attached via Autosynch natch! Select new trip and saved trips and there they all are

Is that what you mean Skip?

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
nikpro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that people here have been having a go at TomTom 5; I just borrowed one and I think it's good - knocks the socks off CoPilot.

So here is the ultimate Workaround for CoPilot; go buy TomTom 5 !
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not 100% but I thought in some post that someone said the TT5 maps was about 4 years old as they said a road has been closed that amount of time but TT still thinks it is still open
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nik, its like all these things. Ones man meat is another mans doner kebab. Fact is TT5 AND CP5 have problems. TT5's seem to be around the features and some routing issues. The fact that a number of people reverted back to TT3 indicates the frustration...of some, if not a lot of folk. A consistent issue with both companies is the shockingly, truly shocking support or even response to any query. Thats why people bitch

CP5 is appalingly bad at routing hence the suggestion or workarounds. Unfortunatly when you start taking about reprogramming the plot has been well and truly lost. IMO my, sort of, workaround of simply not bothering to do a route on the fly but use the PC to plan ( a feature that TT does not have and trusting the routing becomes a great leap in faith) is great for me and works very, very well. TT is better thats for sure in this area. Workarounds would be great if CP5 actually paid attention and removed the need for them.

nikpro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i aree; the beauty of CP5 is the ability to plan on the desktop.

Most of the complaints for TT5 centre around traffic - which I don't use but the roads are more up to date where I live. The road I live on has been constructed 8yrs and it is not on CP5 yet is on TT5.

The company that sort traffic out for TT5 are also going to be doing CP5 so there's not much hope there then!
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue of missing roads or dead ends that aren't dead ends in the program are just a fact of life with any routing software. Some maps are just more up to date/more accurate depending on where you live. If you are travelling to an area you don't know then you wouldn't know about any such problems so you always have to go on trust. My areas fine as well but I don't need to know that Smile

Its also a lot to do with what you are used to in software. I've got used to CP5 and understand where it is weak. I'd love to try TT5 but the extra cost for me just can't be justified. Hence the support in getting ALK to do something

BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Problems that I don't know of any fix for are:

Sporadic lack of POI announcements
Sporadic lack of turn announcements
Hanging after recalculating routes several times
Unresponsive technical support
Traffic reporting functionality was promised 6 months ago but has never appeared
Track log doesn't always get saved
Serious routing problems when calculating the "Shortest" route (ignores minor roads in favour of major ones)
Serious routing problems calculating the "Quickest" route, ie:

London to Dublin (Routed hundreds of miles away via Scotland/Belfast when the quickest is via Holyhead)
Southampton to Hastings (Routed via the M25 when the quickest is via the south coast)
M40 Junction 9 to M3 Junction 9 (Routed via the M25 when the quickest is via the A34)

If anyone has a fix for the above problems then please post it here!

I have been a fairly contented user of CoPilot since V3. But I too think that V5 has introduced bugs that make CP less useful to me than V4.5.

I am using US version 5.0.1.61 in an iPaq 3975 PPC.

I use CP V5 almost every day on the motorycle, either for necessary trips or for enjoying the smaller roads in the countryside. With V4.5 I used to lead other riders, but now I mistrust the guidance, especially the so-called "shortest route" type, and if someone else is using a Garmin I am glad to follow its suggestions to find the best and shortest route.

It would be very useful to me to see a list of the known bugs, whether or not there are workarounds or solutions. I would especially appreciate ALK at least acknowledging a list of reported problems, and ideally publishing a list of known bugs and the ones being currently worked on.

Lacking that, I am glad to see a succinct bug list in a forum like this.

Here are additional bugs I have seen persistently:
1. Choosing Destination from Contacts fails if address is not perfect match.
-effect1: to get a match you have to do foolish editing, like changing "Rd." to "Road".
-effect2: when you get a match after such editing, the routing may result in an off-road straight line.
2. The Favorites List occasionally disappears, all recent destinations are thereby lost.
3. Default rural road speeds are very low on PPC, causing very high time estimates. Workarounds have been discussed, but in the current software the time estimates for rural trips can be 30% high, making them useless.

But by far the worst problem is the poor routing, especially for "shortest".

On the other hand, if I am sticking to major roads the routing and estimates are excellent. I still am very enthusiastic about the product, just disappointed that it's not better in this V5 release.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Madashell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Envy! Reply with quote

I wish I had read the notes on this forum before buying cp5 on the strength of the review. I think a warning should be apended to it.
After downloading the patch that silenced the voice prompts and spending a couple of hours waiting on the support lines and failing to resolve the issue, the latest disks they sent (as a desperate last hope), failed to load onto the Ipaq sd card. I'm not sure have the patience of you guys to persist with something that is so patently flawed, but I did part with my cash in good faith.
Has any one succesfully loaded the .48 european version?
Has any one squeezed a refund from ALK?
I resolve to make one more attempt at loading to the Ipaq 2210 sd card and one more phone call.
A friend has naveman and has had excellent support and swears by it. I hoped the better maps on CP and the PC option would ease my busy life.... I dream of days before CP when my old Garmin simply did what it was designed to!
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 4 months of total frustration with CP5, I am now an extremely happy person.

What has changed to make me so happy ?

I've returned it to my retailer and they have refunded it for me !!

Yippee !!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now, all I've got to decide on is what to replace it with Question Any suggestions. Don't anyone dare say CoPilot 6 !!

Baz
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ready to find a new list of bugs. Wink

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it depends on the seller but there is clear prima facia facts that make a refund a given under UK consumer laws. Maybe if enough got that ALK would sit up take notice when a load of key suppliers stop ordering stock due to the number of returns?

iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought that maybe a significant number of people are quite happy enough with CoPilot, or see the competition as no better, such that they have no wish to return it.

It's obvious that different people have significantly different requirements and/or expectations out of a navigation product, and that the accuracy of map data and routing may vary significantly between areas, but that doesn't make the product unusable for everyone.

Local routes will always be questionable, since the map data does not included the subtle variances of traffic density, school runs, road humps, traffic lights, etc, but then all products will suffer from that for many years to come.

I now get 100% accuracy on known speed cameras, know that I'm always going in the right direction, get good warning of turns, and get a good estimate for ETA. That's good enough for me.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can include me in that first statement Ian. Doesn't mean the product is anywhere near as good as it should be though, accepting that all of them are flawed in one form or another. That doesn't mean its OK for ALK to be complacent. Some of the workarounds being suggested are quite serious changes to the program as opposed to the colour of the roads or the font. The support is easily the worst of the bunch and theres no workaround for that.

I am happy with my CP5 but I wll support those significant percentage who have taken the time to voice the shortfalls from around the world.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: