Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Alternative to TomTom Navigator 5?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative to TomTom Navigator 5?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tricky2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Alternative to TomTom Navigator 5? Reply with quote

I have been looking into the idea of purchasing an O2 XDA IIi and TomTom 5 Navigator ever since a mate of mine demonstrated his XDA and TT3 setup. I don't like to rush into things so have been doing a bit of research. One of the reasons for purchasing a GPS was for my drive from Darlington to Morzine in France so when I saw that TT5 contained maps of Europe I couldn't get my credit card out fast enough. Fortunately for me I kept it firmly in my back pocket as I then found out only the upgrade has maps of Europe.

Since then I have read more and more bad reports on compatibility issues, lockups, bad customer service, refunds yada, yada, yada. Now I know forums tend to be an area for gripes more than praise, but I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on something that doesn't work. It wouldn't be bad if there was a trial version but I would still have to purchase a 3rd party receiver and from some of the posts this is part of the problem.

Bottom line is do I purchase the above hardware/software combination, ie will it work, or do I go for something else and if so what?
balzer1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will work. Or maybe I should say is likely(90%) to work, given the fact that tomtom says tt5 is compatible with every other xda, and I've seen tt5 running nicely on an m2000(xda2s)

Bear in mind there are often little bugs or conflicts with other system apps which may need tweaking, so an error-free experience is never guaranteed.

I've tried a few navigation programs in the past few years, and tomtom, although not perfect (and never will be!) is definitely one of the (if not 'the') best and well worth the money.
balzer1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, a good alternative would be navigon MN5: uptodate maps and decent routing but no support for TMC anymore.
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I for one am pretty freaked out about the slap-dash way TTN5 seems to have been built, and I have an IPaq 4700 which seems to give it a severe memory leak.

I've looked at MN5, but the maps do not seem to be as good as TTN5; fairly spartan vectoring. But it does have voice command, and TTN5 apparently does not. Also MN5's website is much better quality than TomTom's, which indicates they have their sh*t together.

Has anyone run both of these apps, maybe even on a 4700? Are MN5's maps indeed not as good? Does its voice command actually work?
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially, Tomtom don't support XDAIIi.

But it works fine for me.

Simon
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the xda2i works fine with tt5 im running it all day with no crashes and traffic with a holuxcr100 gps cradle the only word of advice is to set the device up a corperate setting rather than a personal one as o2 active slows the machine down and if you use landscape in wm 2003se then starting tomtom in landscape will revert the xda to portrait the hp nav pack had the same effect if you have any gprs problems the
xda will usually be the cause as it has a tendency to drop the gprs (internet) conntection if anything is pluged in to the serial port be it a power lead or gps

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Tricky2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, at least I now know the XDAIIi will work.

Simon, what type of GPS receiver are you using with your XDA? I am actually hoping to use a bluetooth one because I plan to use the GPS both in my car and on my mountain bike so unfortunately the Holux CR-100 wouldn't work for me Smile

Anyone using XDAIIi, Bluetooth GPS and TT5 successfully?
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone using XDAIIi, Bluetooth GPS and TT5 successfully?

Yep - I use the the Tomtom bluetooth GPS and it works fine.

There seems to be lots of postings on here about problems with other GPS receivers but the Tomtom one for me is fine.

Simon
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricky2005 wrote:
on my mountain bike

Maybe an all in one unit like tomtom go may be better for this?

Simon
Tricky2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonpearce wrote:

Maybe an all in one unit like tomtom go may be better for this?

Simon

Thought about that but what sold it for me is I can use the XDA as a phone, camera and multimedia player aswell as a GPS. Plus I already have Anquet maps for the PC which includes Anquet for the PocketPC.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please can you explain more about corperate mode as i'm having endless lockups with the phone side
thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: