Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nav 5 upgrade - on the plus side
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nav 5 upgrade - on the plus side

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpssparky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Nav 5 upgrade - on the plus side Reply with quote

We've all got our gripes but on the positive side:

Map of Europe included
Installation of the upgrade was a breeze.
Nav 5 turns the bluetooth on and off when it starts and ends. (suits me)

Most people who use this forum are not representative of most people who want to use a Sat Nav system. I guess most users and potential users want to "plug and play" (insert and enjoy). If this means more will choose tomtom because its simple then it means the product will continue to develop because tomtom have the funds to do so.

Unfortunately ultra configurable products for geeks like us don't tend to make lots of cash for the vendor.

Anyone got any spare cash to invest in tomtom shares when they float?

-----------
Tomtom Go 540 Live - That's it.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats fine and dandy.

except there has been very little in the way of development for this release.

Its like suggesting that after a 10 year building effort the m25 has been reduced to 2 lanes - this isn't progress. Its just dissapointing - a common platform shouldn't have to restrict all devices to the lowest denominator.
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Anyone got any spare cash to invest in tomtom shares when they float?<

Which exchange will they be listed on?
gpssparky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amcluesent wrote:
>Anyone got any spare cash to invest in tomtom shares when they float?<

Which exchange will they be listed on?

Amsterdam

http://www.firstnews.com.ua/en/article.html?id=54666

-----------
Tomtom Go 540 Live - That's it.
brob108
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes on the whole I personally like the upgrade from Navigator 3 to Navigator 5. The big plusses for me are:

Being able to rotate the map to landscape position (like widescreen tv) which gives an improved readout of the travel information and doesn't feel so cramped with the Traffic status bar.

The bluetooth adaptor operating automatically when you load and exit the software.

The installation was straightforward (takes around an hour to transfer the GB plus map to an SD card) though I felt the programme disc could have been more clearly labelled.

The weather bit is useful.

I've added in my Checkpoint ov2 camera files and that works fine and selected my own alert in the POI section. The alerts will also work when you don't plan a route - this is all included in a sticky on this forum.

I do miss the more enhanced Properties section on Navigator 3 (I had the Exit Application button on the first page which was better for me) but this isn't the end of the world and also preferred the previous version of the compass. These though are relatively minor gripes - hopefully an upgrade or possibly an add on colud be the solution in the future.

Overall I'm happier with Navigator 5 for how it works for me.
Andyd32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a big plus is when navigating a route, the addition of icons on the Navigate To POI screen which tell you whether a petrol station/cash point or whatever POI is on route, slightly off route, some distance off route or totally not on route.

This used to be such a pain trying combinations of petrol station until you found one that was on route. Big improvement.

The maps have also improved for my local area and the ability to see road names on the 3D or 2D maps is a big plus.

The interface has also been tidied IMHO and is now easier to use.

Overall, very pleased.
Andyd32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also whilst following a route, the 'alternative' route section has been greatly enhanced, particularly the 'avoid' part of route function.

You can now scroll through your route junction by junction and avoid a section of the A1 for example or multiple sections, as opposed to TT3 and avoiding the whole of the A1 road ahead.

This will be far more useful than the old Avoid function in TT3 and a godsend when sitting by that slip road on the motorway with stationary traffic as far as the eye can see thinking 'do I, dont I'. With TT3 you did, to find that the reroute could be so extreme (avoid the next 30 miles of road), it made it useless.
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,

I have now upgraded from TTN4 ( Ipaq navigation Pack ) to TTN5

Apart from installation probs, PC powering off during install of maps ! I now notice this has been mentioned elsewhere by someone else also ( i put this down to a hardware problem on my PC )

I now have everything up and running and I am happy.

I never had the pleasure of TTN3 as I am realatively new to all this ! I upgraded because I wanted the France Map ( a cheap way of getting it for me ) for my holidays in France

I have gained lots of extra features over TTN4,

Full postcode search ( IMHO Great )

Lots more switchable info available on screen.

I know its a gimic, but the drive your route function is quite funky.

Also contrary to whats been said by TTN3 users my scrolling seems smoother than TTN4 ( Could it be that they have upgraded from the test platform of TTN4 ) I can see why this would be annoying for the TTN3 users !

I even quite like the automatic volume increase with speed ( you can always switch it off if not )

I am sure their are loads of other extra features I have not come across yet.

All in all I am happy with my 59 Euro upgrade the maps would have cost me much more than that !

Rinkrat
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andyd32 wrote:
Also whilst following a route, the 'alternative' route section has been greatly enhanced, particularly the 'avoid' part of route function.

You can now scroll through your route junction by junction and avoid a section of the A1 for example or multiple sections, as opposed to TT3 and avoiding the whole of the A1 road ahead.

This will be far more useful than the old Avoid function in TT3 and a godsend when sitting by that slip road on the motorway with stationary traffic as far as the eye can see thinking 'do I, dont I'. With TT3 you did, to find that the reroute could be so extreme (avoid the next 30 miles of road), it made it useless.

If you use the "road block" function on the avoids page in tt3 while on route,you can choose to avoid a selected road for varying distances before a re-route back on again but then I suppose it's only any use if you know for how far in front the road is blocked ,then again would this not be case in tt5 as well Question
Dave
Andyd32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
Andyd32 wrote:

If you use the "road block" function on the avoids page in tt3 while on route,you can choose to avoid a selected road for varying distances before a re-route back on again but then I suppose it's only any use if you know for how far in front the road is blocked ,then again would this not be case in tt5 as well Question
Dave

Fair point, but think of it this way - accident between junctions 4 and 5 with the tailback to junction 6 (just announced on the radio - it does work sometimes!), with roadblock on TT3 how far is it between junctions 4 and 6? With TT5 just reroute excluding junctions 4 to 6.
Andyd32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the fact I can rotate the screen on a non WM2003SE device to give landscape mode.

In addition using Barryd's OS GPS utility I can still navigate to an NGR.

Also I now have full UK postcode support without using a 3rd party application.

Would be nice if the POI warner had similar functionallity to Check Point, but heres hoping this is addressed in the first software update.
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On balance I'm a big fan of TT5 as well.
I miss the customisation option and I don't like the "Safety screen" that appears every so often when the app is started but that is about it.

The big improvement for me is the new layout and way that menus are accessed, it is MUCH more logical and easy to find your way round.

The Advanced Planning option is particularly nice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: