Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapsonic V3.0 Journey time error
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapsonic V3.0 Journey time error
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbo757
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Mapsonic V3.0 Journey time error Reply with quote

I've installed the upgrade for V2.5 to V3.0 for my palm T3. It works well except that the time calculated for journeys either in the planning or Nav mode is considerably longer than expected. I've fiddled with the average speeds for different road types but it's still well out. I found by plannig just a motorway sector at 70mph and then running it in Nav demo it had me trundling along at 43mph. Very odd until I calculated that 43 mph=70kmh. So even though I've changed the units to miles it calculates the time as though 70mph was 70kmh-how very Gallic! I tried a work round by increasing the speed but it won't take a speed faster than 90mph i.e 56kmh which is too slow. I emailed via michelin last week, so far with no respose. Does anybody else have the same problem? I downloaded the program again and it's still V3.0, so where do I get V3.1?
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good detective work. I'd noticed the same effect. I had a 100 mile journey last night that I know only takes 100 minutes. 3.0 reckoned it was going to take around 3 hours.
theonlyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the same error - any response from ViaMichein yet? I will email them too.
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the 3.1 patch, I was hoping that this bug would be fixed...but I think not. I set up a journey that should take no longer than 2 hours, the latest software reckons it will take almost 3.
Jimbo757
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Mapsonic 3 journey time Reply with quote

Yes, I was disappointed this problem wasn't addressed. Time for another email to Michelin.
James
theonlyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is ViaMichelin's response to my message descibing the issue. They seem to think that they have fixed it - not!

Time for another round of emails I think.
Quote:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in ViaMichelin activities and in our PDA navigation software.
We would like to apologize for the delay of our answer due to the large number of emails we have been receiving recently.

We advise you to download the free patch 3.1
http://www.shop.viamichelin.com/csasp_showedito.asp?menuID=10

The patch improves route calculation. This anomaly is corrected by this patch.

We are, of course, very happy to receive any questions or suggestions you may have.
We hope that we have answered your request, and are at your disposal should you have any other suggestions or questions.

Yours faithfully,

- Customer Relations Department -

Wherever you're going, go ViaMichelin.
http://www.ViaMichelin.co.uk

theonlyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emailed ViaMichelin again on this and requested that they fix the bug. It seems to be simply that when MPH values are set in the preferred road speed options, that although they are displayed as MPH, they remain in KPH. eg 50MPH is calculated as 50KMH.

Request that more of us email ViaMichelin requesting that the bug is fixed.

Regards,
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This still seems to be broken in v3.2
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is indeed still not fixed in v3.2. That said given the rubbish state of our roads (or perhaps more accurately some of those driving on it!) it accurately predicted at the start of my journey my actual arrival time last night after 150 mile trip mainly on motorways, so maybe it is sooooo cleaver it can even predict holdups!
NoddyH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also e-mailed michelin on this subject and recieved the following reply:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in our PDA navigation software.

We are sorry that it has not been possible to create a patch to correct the issue you mentionned.

By the end of this month, ViaMichelin Navigation V4 will be released and the calculations in MPH will not be anymore in KPH.

We would like to inform you that when you register your product on the Via Michelin website, you will get a special discount on purchasing this new version:

In reply, I have sent them the following email:

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your prompt reply. UK consumer law (I'm sure French Law is broadly similar) states that a product must be 'fit for purpose' and sold 'as advertised'. By your own admission, this has not been the case with ViaMichelin V3. To offer to sell me V4 in order to fix the problem is an infringement of my consumer rights, an upgrade to the V4 software should be offered free of charge. I would be interested to hear your reply before I seek legal advice.

I will post their reply as soon as I recieve it!
CRAIGO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you get good out of it - we all must have the free upgrade surely!?
Olae
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the same error and emailed VM 3 weeks ago. As yet no response.

No great surprises. When I bought V3 from their web site (where you are actually required to select your Hardware model when buying the software) I had a T5. Funnily enough V3 didn't work. The response from VM, It says it isn't compatible in the Tech Spec & take it up with your supplier. When I informed them they were my supplier they said. It says it isn't compatible in the Tech Spec & it's your problem!

The VM software isn't bad, though I often travel UK to Belgium to Germany and map swapping is a pain.

The VM customer service is c%$p anfd their upgrade pricing policy shows little effort to value existing customers. Add to that no UK speed camera POIs, no trafic information etc and despite what I think is a nicer interface VM just doesn't cut the mustard!

Basically VM is Betamax and TomTom VHS :D

I have had a number of friends ask me about VM & Tom Tom. I always explain the situation honestly and not 1 friend owns VM!

Will I upgrade? Given the costs I doubt it for the next 6 months, and unless there is a significant improvement in VM customer service or V4.1 shows an amazing feature leap, I will probably move to Tom Tom partly as a protest and partly as i think that they are now the dominant platyer and provide better 'add in content'.
NoddyH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olae, I agree completely, I first got via-michelin with a GPS, bundle, paid good money to upgrade to v3, but I won't pay again, unless their customer service improves, and the software works as advertised! However, you can get speed camera POI's for the UK; just download the .asc files from this website, and use POI manager to convert them and upload them to your handheld.

Still waiting for a reply from Michelin..........Anyone know a good consumer lawyer?!
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olae wrote:

Oddly enough, folks I know in broadcasting say that professional broadcasters still use Betamax as it was by far the better system but those behind VHS were prepared to spend more to push their product.

It's like Sky+ versus TiVO in the PVR world. TiVO was much better and is the market leader in the USA but Sky wre prepared to market aggressively while TiVO died out in the UK.

I'm no fan of VM's customer services (lack of it is more accurate) but the Betamax/VHS analogy was not too good!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metroace wrote:
Olae wrote:

Oddly enough, folks I know in broadcasting say that professional broadcasters still use Betamax as it was by far the better system but those behind VHS were prepared to spend more to push their product.

Laughing Out Loud - sony killed betamax in what 1988? What pro broadcaster is using it in 2005!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: