Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 303MMF problems...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

303MMF problems...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatsisname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: 303MMF problems... Reply with quote

Hi all,

Setup: Ipaq 2210, TT 3.07, 303MMF. In Tomtom running "Haicom GPS" driver. In Winfast set to nmea 4800, data is coming thru ok on the development screen. iPaq mounted under the windscreen (windscreen not a probelm - have used other gps setups thru it fine).

Symptoms: very erratic.

1. When running Winfast or tomtom ~gps, the unit will sometimes see satellites, and sometimes it won't (I presume the blue ones on the signal level page are satellites that the unit is receiving ok?), in exactly the same location and conditions.

2. When running ok, tomtom 3.07 is picking up 3-7 satellites (no more), I pull into an area like under a bridge where I lose signal for a minute or so, pull out again - poof, all signal lost! Can't get a fix again as I drive off out in the open again. At this point no matter what I do, the unit cannot even see 1 satellite anymore. Soft reset, cold start in Winfast, Factory start in Winfast. Nada. At this point I give up, switch the ipaq off. Some time later in the day, it will start working again but I have no idea why.

3. Driving along monitoring the satellite reception in tomtom ~gps, 3-7 fixes no problem, suddenly - poof, gone. No satellites. This is often out in the open road, no trees, no urban canyons. Again, nothing I try will bring it back to life, even tho in Winfast data is still showing as coming thru. All of a sudden the 303MMF cannot see a satellite for love nor money.

Its very frustrating as on the few occasions when it has worked, its been great! But this inconsistency can't be right can it?

Have I got a duff unit?

w.
whatsisname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update to this, I now switched the driver in TT to the "TomTom GPS driver" and things seem to have improved, at least in regard to when it loses signal going along it manages to get a fix again pretty quickly...

Having said that, it still occasionally when you turn Tomtom on, will flat refuse to see any satellites. Its so weird. I was getting a fix no problem out and about in my neighborhood earlier today, then this evening, 20 min drive, nothing at all. Just now, on the way back, same journey reversed, found a fix mithin a minute!

Its almost as if sometimes when you turn it on, it can't find the stored reference to where the satellites were, as if the battery was completely flat (which it isn't).

Any observations on this behaviour would be very welcome.
nemsye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im getting a similar thing, try checking and unchecking the box on the screen where you chose tomtom gps driver..

technically this shouldnt do anything, but for some unknown reason brings the sats bac k for me, and is the only thing that does, if this also works for you then we have the same problem, and can have a race to find a fix! =]

im on a hx2110 haicom 303emmf and 512panasonic super high speed
whatsisname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually returned mine a month or so ago because I was so frustrated with the TTFF. I'm waiting for the SD502 Sirf III unit now...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: