Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 168 or Acer n35?.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 168 or Acer n35?.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Mio 168 or Acer n35?. Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone advise which out of a Mio 168 and Acer n35 is regarded as a better buy?.

The Mio 168 has a quicker CPU and from what I can gather a better TFT screen than the Acer n35 however the Acer n35 seems to have very good feedback from users.

Thank you in advance for your comments.
Best Regards.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would go for the Mio168, this is the unit I use, and if you look at different web sites you will find that you can choose the GPS software that you would like to use with it, as TomTom v5 is around the corner from release then I would wait a few weeks before you buy whatever you choose, then you will have the choice of the latest GPS software and maps, this also applies to Navigon v5.

If you click the link to my web site at the bottom of this post you can have a look at the specs, it shows a Medion 95000, but that is just a re-branded Mio168, as I have both there is no difference between them apart from Medion load there own version of the OS.
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Personally I would go for the Mio168, this is the unit I use, and if you look at different web sites you will find that you can choose the GPS software that you would like to use with it, as TomTom v5 is around the corner from release then I would wait a few weeks before you buy whatever you choose, then you will have the choice of the latest GPS software and maps, this also applies to Navigon v5.

If you click the link to my web site at the bottom of this post you can have a look at the specs, it shows a Medion 95000, but that is just a re-branded Mio168, as I have both there is no difference between them apart from Medion load there own version of the OS.

Hi PocketGPS,

Thank you for your reply. Think that the Mio168 appears to be a better buy particularly as you can choose the GPS software to install on it as you've mentioned. Guess the fact that it has a 300MHz CPU as opposed to 266MHz CPU makes this a more cost effective buy (how much of a difference that makes for running GPS, MP3 playback etc.. etc.. I don't know).

Can your PocketGPS Database be downloaded onto both an Acer n35 and Mio168 Pocket PC?.

Thank you.
Best Regards.
scrumble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run any PDA GPS software on just about any PDA,so you can put Tomtom on the Acer.

Pro's for the Acer:

1) Its cheaper, by about £100

2) The GPS ariel folds flush into the unit, so nothing sticks out the back

http://www.pdamax.de/fotos/acer_n35_all.jpg

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/sc/30764554-2-300-left-4.gif

3) Its louder, so it can be more easily heard in a car (I haven't tried the Mio in a car yet, so I'm relying on various reviews on the net for that one)

4) The Acers memory card slot is SDIO compatible. This means you can add a bluetooth, wireless lan, digital camera cards or any number of other SDIO devices. Which is handy as none of the other all in one PDA/GPS units come with bluetooth or wireless lan built in.

Pro's for the Mio:

1) Faster processor. Although it is debatable how much difference the extra 34mhz makes.

2) It comes with Tomtom (as opposed to Destinator on the N35). Well usually it does, make sure you check first as some sites sell it without any GPS software installed. From what I've seen Tomtom is prettier, at least on the 3d view, it makes better use of the POI (Points Of Interest) database, and there are a few third party add ons for it.
Destinator is also getting an update and, looking at the pics of it, it seems they have noticed the better points of Tomtom and copied them Smile

Ultimately, both do exactly what they say on the tin, and unless you have both side by side I doubt you'd really spot any significant differences. If your buying online it really is worth nipping in to a shop just to try them.

Both devices are highly recommended by their users I doubt you'll be disappointed by either. Smile
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mio also comes with an SDIO port, although most of the online descriptions never mention it. I use a Wifi card in mine and it works a treat.
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Re the sound level, I have a Mio, and my wife complained that the TomTom instructions were too loud, so I had to turn the volume down!!
It is an excellent piece of kit, but I don't know anything about the Acer.

Mio168 Kingston 256SD
TomTomNavigator3 3.07
TomTom Navigator 5
Memory Map 2004 OS 4.4
Checkpoint 2.02
mac_the_dog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Had my MIO168 for 3 months now, am running memory maop as well as AA Navigator. Laughing

Display is great, battery life pretty good, sound quality good. Desk stand and other accessories available. Smile

Very pleased to recommend it.
Memory-Map 2004 Region 2
Medion MD PPC150 cradle
Kingston 512MB SD Card
PDair Aluminium Hardcase
jamiepyoung
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought 3 mios now (work, wife, me).

Very good bit of kit. Other members of family also bought them now - you can pick them up (with no software or SD card) for £210 - so I am sure they are chepaer than the Acer as well.
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac_the_dog wrote:
Hi,

Had my MIO168 for 3 months now, am running memory maop as well as AA Navigator. Laughing

Display is great, battery life pretty good, sound quality good. Desk stand and other accessories available. Smile

Very pleased to recommend it.

Hi mac_the_dog,

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. The Mio168 sounds a good buy from the feedback and web-sites that sell this particular PocketPC/GPS. Am confused as to why the Lidl MyNavigator 6500XL is mean't to be a Mio168 as they're saying it's got a 400MHz CPU as opposed to 300MHz CPU :-(.

Best Regards.

http://www.itx-weather.co.uk
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamiepyoung wrote:
I've bought 3 mios now (work, wife, me).

Very good bit of kit. Other members of family also bought them now - you can pick them up (with no software or SD card) for £210 - so I am sure they are chepaer than the Acer as well.

Hi jamiepyoung,

Thank you for your reply. Guess that if you have bought 3 Mios they must be a fairly good piece of kit!. Had bought an Acer n35 which I want to return because it was not bundled with a £29.99 leather case that it should have been bundled with. Think that a Mio168 is probably the best buy. Am comparing with a Lidl MyGuide Navigator 6500XL. Not convinced that the latter is very well supported on the internet though :-(.

Do you use an 802.11b WLAN SDIO Card?. I'd like to use a Sandisk 802.11b WLAN SDIO + 256Mb on-board Memory Card but trying to source a reasonably priced one is not easy at all.

Best Regards.

Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Lidl MyGuide Navigator 6500XL comes with Falk Navigator, and I'm not sure that you can easily add the Safety Camera poi's or any others for that matter, but others who have purchased that unit may be able to tell you differently.

The Mio168 on the other hand using TomTom or Navigon can then add any type of poi's without much trouble, although Navigon requires you to purchase POI-Warner to add them, but TomTom can use some free utilities to overlay the poi's.
RussellS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a MyGuide Navigator 6500XL (from Lidl) and a friend has the Mio 168 and the other day I had them side by side to compare. I can tell you that they are both identical units apart from the following features. The MyGuide has a 400mhz CPU (Mio has 300mhz), MyGuide has an extra internal 32mb flash disk that the navigator software is loaded on. This flash disk can be written to as normal but the data won't be lost if you do a hard reset. The only other difference is the buttons on the front are a SLIGHTLY different shape. In all other respects the two machines are identical as far as the hardware is concerned and the SD card slot is SDIO compatible. Accesories for the Mio also work with the MyGuide (eg docking station and Brodit active car holder are two examples). The MyGuide comes with a docking station which the Mio does not (but is available for about £50 extra)

On the software side there are differences. Firstly, the MyGuide has a later version of the Windows Mobile 2003 software (second edition) whereas the Mio has the older first edition version. What this actually means in the real world however I'm not sure.

As far as the navigation software is concerned, my friends Mio had the Mio Map software installed which is based on Destinator 3 software. I didn't use it enough to be able to pass any comments on it, however I can comment about the MyGuide software.

The MyGuide comes preinstalled with Falk Navigator PE navigation software. Personally, I think that "out of the box", this software is very good, bearing in mind that the entire package only cost £199. In terms of getting you from point A to point B, it does this just as well as any other software. I have seen reports that the maps themselves are a couple of years old, however I havn't had any problems yet. The voice commands are clear, precise and on the whole load enough. There are certain commands that are quieter than the others but this is the sound files themselves and not the hardware. I am going to try to take the sound files off and equalize them on my main PC before putting them back.

The downside of the Falk Navigator software is that you cannot install your own POI's or integrate the speed camera database as there does not appear to be any third party support for it. As I said earlier, "out of the box" it is fine, just don't expect to be able to expand it or add to it. The Navigator software can however be removed and other navigation software loaded in it's place (eg Tom Tom).

Personally, I am extremely pleased with the MyGuide. I am using it every working day and has not yet let me down (only had it two weeks) and the complete package is extremely good value for money. At some time in the future I will probably replace the Falk Navigator software with something else that has better third party support, but for the time being I am happy as it is.

I hope this helps,

Russell
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing another post on the forum there may be some software that can enable you to use poi's with Falk navigator, the web site is in German, and you need to register for free to use it.

http://www.navifriends.com/phpbbForum/viewforum.php?f=50&sid=1f41013c1fae05c014b8b700f94ca996
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellS wrote:
Hi there,

I have a MyGuide Navigator 6500XL (from Lidl) and a friend has the Mio 168 and the other day I had them side by side to compare. I can tell you that they are both identical units apart from the following features. The MyGuide has a 400mhz CPU (Mio has 300mhz), MyGuide has an extra internal 32mb flash disk that the navigator software is loaded on. This flash disk can be written to as normal but the data won't be lost if you do a hard reset. The only other difference is the buttons on the front are a SLIGHTLY different shape. In all other respects the two machines are identical as far as the hardware is concerned and the SD card slot is SDIO compatible. Accesories for the Mio also work with the MyGuide (eg docking station and Brodit active car holder are two examples). The MyGuide comes with a docking station which the Mio does not (but is available for about £50 extra)

On the software side there are differences. Firstly, the MyGuide has a later version of the Windows Mobile 2003 software (second edition) whereas the Mio has the older first edition version. What this actually means in the real world however I'm not sure.

As far as the navigation software is concerned, my friends Mio had the Mio Map software installed which is based on Destinator 3 software. I didn't use it enough to be able to pass any comments on it, however I can comment about the MyGuide software.

The MyGuide comes preinstalled with Falk Navigator PE navigation software. Personally, I think that "out of the box", this software is very good, bearing in mind that the entire package only cost £199. In terms of getting you from point A to point B, it does this just as well as any other software. I have seen reports that the maps themselves are a couple of years old, however I havn't had any problems yet. The voice commands are clear, precise and on the whole load enough. There are certain commands that are quieter than the others but this is the sound files themselves and not the hardware. I am going to try to take the sound files off and equalize them on my main PC before putting them back.

The downside of the Falk Navigator software is that you cannot install your own POI's or integrate the speed camera database as there does not appear to be any third party support for it. As I said earlier, "out of the box" it is fine, just don't expect to be able to expand it or add to it. The Navigator software can however be removed and other navigation software loaded in it's place (eg Tom Tom).

Personally, I am extremely pleased with the MyGuide. I am using it every working day and has not yet let me down (only had it two weeks) and the complete package is extremely good value for money. At some time in the future I will probably replace the Falk Navigator software with something else that has better third party support, but for the time being I am happy as it is.

I hope this helps,

Russell

Hi Russell,

Thank you for your reply (very concise). It's nice to hear from someone who has bought one of these Pocket PCs from Lidl and has given some good feedback on the kit. The Navigator 6500XL that's on sale at Lidl at the moment is £279.00, any ideas what exactly you get for the additional £80.00 as am not sure what the kit comprised of for £199.00?.

Have included details of the current bundle below (30th May 05):

Fully equipped navigation system: Pocket PC with integrated GPS receiver
Falk Navigator Premium Edition
With the navigation software Falk Navigator Edition, the MYGUIDE Navigator 6500XL guides you safely to your destination. Using the supplied holders, simply mount to the dashboard of your car, the handle bar of your motorbike or bicycle, enter your destination and start your journey.
Functions:
- Quick and exact positioning through GPS (Global Positioning System)
- Automatic adjustment should you leave the original route
- Choose from maps, 3D or arrow depiction in colour
- Variable tour planning for up to 99 selective stages
Key Features:
- Intel Xscale 400MHz processor
- Operating system: Microsoft® Mobile 2003 SE
- Display: 3.5” TFT LCD panel
- Resolution: 240 x 320, 65k colours
- Memory: 64MB Flash ROM, 64MB SD RAM (Pre-installed navigation software in Flash ROM)
- Expansion slot: SD/MMC
- Built-in GPS receiver
- Size: 112.8mm x 69.6mm x 16.3 – 24.15mm
- Weight: 147g
- 256MB Memory card
Also included:
- MyGuide Navigator 6500 XL with built-in 12 channel GSP receiver
- Mains adaptor and 12V in car charger to charge the PDA
- PDA car and bike bracket
- USB docking station
- External navigation antenna
- PDA protective pouch
- MY guide Navigator 6500XL handbook
- Falk Navigator handbook
- Falk Navigator navigation software
- 256MB SD Memory card with pre-installed software
3 Year manufacturer’s warranty
Price per item
was £349.00
*Compared to last year279.00

£ 279.00 *

Your comments would be appreciated.

Best Regards.

P.S. Novatech have the Mio 168 available for £179.00+VAT+Carriage which sounds an absolutely brilliant buy. This comes with Mio Map. Have they got the price wrong as no one else is selling this for the same price with Mio Map (unless i'm mistaken)?. What i'm trying to do is work out whether or not the Navigator 6500XL is worth the extra £62.81 (including VAT).

itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Seeing another post on the forum there may be some software that can enable you to use poi's with Falk navigator, the web site is in German, and you need to register for free to use it.

http://www.navifriends.com/phpbbForum/viewforum.php?f=50&sid=1f41013c1fae05c014b8b700f94ca996

Hi Pocketgps,

If there is software that's downloadable that enables poi's to be used with Falk navigator does this mean that the U.K. poi's can be downloaded?.

Thank you.
Best Regards.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: