Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So You Say Leave TomTom Go Map Upgrade Alone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So You Say Leave TomTom Go Map Upgrade Alone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joedavid0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: So You Say Leave TomTom Go Map Upgrade Alone Reply with quote

Thank to those of you responding about the lack of changes and corrections on the Map upgrade I've been offered, you have saved me and others throwing our money away. I do feel very sorry for you and hope somehow the matter gets put right for you.

Could I now ask a question about the past history of TomTom and previous map upgrades.
Have they done any before, if so how long was that ago?
What I'm trying to assess is how often they do them. In other words when can we expect another which hopefully will have updates and the corrections you have sent to them incorporated.

Regards
David
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Tom state that they will release a map update annualy. Apparently March/April is usual time of release.

TeleAtlas produce more regular updates than this but Tom Tom do not issue them.

Tom Tom Go has had two maps in the past...314 and 390. Neither were available as updates and were shipped with TTG's.

There has only been this latest map issue , hence our shock at it's poor content.... we were hoping that themany errors would be mostly fixed as we had reported them to TeleAtlas ourselves. Not the case though.

Users of other Tom Tom Products that use PDA's have had better experience of Tom Tom Map upgrades but I'll leace it to the moderators to comment as I think they know more about it.

I for one will not be spending any more money on the TTG. I will be looking for my next Navigation tool elsewhere.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazzle wrote:
Tom Tom state that they will release a map update annualy. Apparently March/April is usual time of release.

TeleAtlas produce more regular updates than this but Tom Tom do not issue them.

Teleatlas produce releases twice a year. Typically in April and September. It then takes TomTom a couple of months to convert them into the compacted versions that are used in the Navigator products. They then have to check them for any problems, again another month or so.

If TomTom were to split the maps from the Application as they have done with TT GO then you would still have to pay the cost of the map upgrade. Most of this will go to Teleatlas and thier licencees, not to TomTom.

The current maps are based on Sept 2004 data. As you can see from the lead times involved here it is very unlikely that any issues reported from the original GO map release would have a chance to be fixed in the new maps, as there was only a window of about 2 months for Teleatlas to collect and address them.

Frazzle wrote:
Tom Tom Go has had two maps in the past...314 and 390. Neither were available as updates and were shipped with TTG's.

Both of these versions were based on the same release of data from Teleatlas. There should not have been any additional roads included in the maps. Indeed the way that TomTom create their maps there may not have been a single change in the UK map data.

Frazzle wrote:
There has only been this latest map issue , hence our shock at it's poor content.... we were hoping that themany errors would be mostly fixed as we had reported them to TeleAtlas ourselves. Not the case though.
See explaination above. Teleatlas will (I assume) have a priority system for handling surveys and error fixing.

Frazzle wrote:
Users of other Tom Tom Products that use PDA's have had better experience of Tom Tom Map upgrades but I'll leace it to the moderators to comment as I think they know more about it.
TomTom map upgrades with the other products have typically been tied into application upgrades in the past as the map data format has changed. The actual content of the changes has been similar to this release of maps.

Frazzle wrote:
I for one will not be spending any more money on the TTG. I will be looking for my next Navigation tool elsewhere.
Where you will find identical issues or worse depending on the company and you select. The only real difference is the choice between Teleatlas and Navteq as the underlying data provider.
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the excellent input.

Ever fancied being a consultant for Tom Tom customer support.... you would do a far better job explaining the issues of GPS navigation :-) (Thats a compliment by the way).

A little explanation in plain english can prevent a lot of misunderstandings.

I take your point about alternative SatNav systems... there is very little choice of mapping and as that is my only issue with the TTG I'll have to stick with it a bit longer.

I still believe Tom Tom should have explained what the SDcard upgrade actually offered in terms of improvement an the fact that any errors reported on the TTG to date would probably not be fixed yet.

Honesty is the best policy after all :-)

Fraser
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Teleatlas will (I assume) have a priority system for handling surveys and error fixing.

Its the word PRORITY that made me laugh, priority doesn't take 3+ years to add a roundabout or 2+ years to add major changes to the road layout.
TomK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Frazzle wrote:

Both of these versions were based on the same release of data from Teleatlas. There should not have been any additional roads included in the maps. Indeed the way that TomTom create their maps there may not have been a single change in the UK map data.

This statement is not correct. V390 which I had on CD did have my home street on it whereas V314 which was on my original SD card did not. My house (along with 20+ others) was built in 1999
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wowe.... that last post appears as though I said the second paragraph !

Not so of course :-)

I can personaly confirm that V314 considered the M6 incomplete and diverted you off before the perceived "gap" in the road. V390 was fully aware that the M6 was complete and navigated perfectly along it without the diversion. I know, I tried both on a trip up North.

In view of the new V571 it's all pretty academic now I suppose ?

Just putting the record straight :-)

Fraser
TomK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Frazzle ...no intention to attribute the statement to you.

My mistake......Damn Computers.
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: New maps -> postcodes Reply with quote

I bought the new maps, not for an upgrade, but for the full postcode support. Driving I think it's brilliant. Guinness This isn't a map upgrade, it's a total restructuring of the data, presumably including licence changes. Out of here
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered as well... not for corrections to maps, but for the cross-border navigation instead. Not a problem in the UK, but a pain in Europe.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stix wrote:
I've ordered as well... not for corrections to maps, but for the cross-border navigation instead. Not a problem in the UK, but a pain in Europe.

But you already have it - with Major Roads of Europe which came with the v4 Classic TTG!

The only difference is that you can go seamlessly from a street address (rather than major road) in UK to a town in Europe - but getting onto a UK major road at the start of the journey was never a problem anyway!

Seamless cross-border navigation at street level only comes with the new TTG 700.

Roger
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't... TTG here shipped with the detailed maps of all Europe - albeit at a slightly higher price than in the UK - but with no MRE.
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:

Seamless cross-border navigation at street level only comes with the new TTG 700.

Roger

Are you sure? From everything I have been able to read, this should be possible with V5 and the updated maps???
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stix wrote:
rkm_hm wrote:

Roger

Are you sure? From everything I have been able to read, this should be possible with V5 and the updated maps???

I've just noticed that you're in Switzerland, where the standard offering may be different from UK. Even so, as far as I know you will only get one or more plus maps - each of which has street level detail for a single region/country integrated with Major Roads of Europe. So it wouldn't be door to door seamless across borders without changing maps.

AIUI, only the 700 has the whole of Europe at street level on a single map.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

Roger
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can any one tell me what I am supposed to be getting??? Sad

I have ordered - some weeks ago now - the New maps for my TOMTOMGO... an expensive upgrade for an instrument that was only nine weeks old...

When I originally purchased the system it came with a SD of the UK and six disc's of all European countries and the Major Routes of Europe disc...
I purchased a larger 512 so as to be able to fit the maps of France and the UK on the same card.

I ordered the upgrade...
TTGO Maps of Western Europe Upgrade 2005
and all I really require is the maps of the UK and France....

Will I get these???

I am now utterly confused Embarassed
Firstly I now don't understand the descriptions of the maps, I thought I did but there has been so much discussion that I am now lost....

Secondly I am used to when ordering something for it to be delivered - or some notification of why it cant be delivered... this hasn't happened either...

Seems like some where down the line I have been conned !! Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: