Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO v5 does not use nearest street when in parking lot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO v5 does not use nearest street when in parking lot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yunixx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: TomTom GO v5 does not use nearest street when in parking lot Reply with quote

I am a new user of TomTom GO V5 USA. And I came across something annoying with the way TomTom GO works. I was wondering whether others have come across this and/or have comments on this. I did try a search of old posting but couldn't find anything related.

So, I had pulled into a parking lot off a main street and was trying to navigate to a restaurant nearby. But TomTom kept saying that there is "no usable location" and gave me the list of restaurants relative to my HOME which was miles away. I would have expected TomTom to pick the nearest street (which I just turned off of - maybe 200 feet) and show me a list of nearest restaurants. Unfortunately it doesn't and shows me the stuff nearest to my HOME. Has anyone come across this? Why wouldn't TomTom find the nearest street and work with that? TomTom knows the nearest street because I can see that (in the route info) if I navigate to someplace from where I was stopped.

Also, the moment I pulled back into the street, it started working as expected by showing the list of the nearest restaurant. But then I have to ensure that I am on a street to find the nearest POI nd that is not always convenient.

I do know that you could find POIs off the "MAP" screen... but from experienece, I don't find that as convenient as seeing/navigating to the list of POIs from the main screen.

Any ideas?
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO v5 does not use nearest street when in parking Reply with quote

I think as I understand your post that you could not start your nav because you were not on a road that TTG knows about. So it cannot give you a route because it cannot work out where you want to start from. Sadly this is obvious to a human but the Go follows strict rules on how to go about things. If you break a link in its method it stops!

The other thing then is why not do as you suggest? But then half the time then it would tell you to start the route from the other side of a brick wall! It can’t win. You have to be on a known route to begin the nav process.
yunixx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my original description wasn't the best Smile

Quote:
I think as I understand your post that you could not start your nav because you were not on a road that TTG knows about. So it cannot give you a route because it cannot work out where you want to start from.

No.. Navigating works fine... TomTom will will use the nearest road (from what I have seen) as the starting point for the requested route and will point me towards that starting point using a compass style cursor. Which is good enough.

The problem for me was that if I select "Navigate->POI" hoping to find a decent restaurant nearby and route to it, I was expecting it to find my nearest restaurant from where I was parked. But it kept flashing "no usable location" (or something like that) and showed me the list of restaurants near my HOME... instead of my current GPS location. And I was wondering why t TomTom couldn't give me the list of restaurants nearby where I was parked.

It initially gave me a scare... that something had gone wrong with my TomTom. But then I figured out that I was not on a road that TomTom could use... but then it could have used the nearest road (which it knows because it uses it when crateing a new route). right?
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh I see now what you mean, I think, the list of POIs was not near where you were? But near to where your home is? Which was not what you needed? Right? If so you are also right. I am doubting myself now!! Confused Confused Confused :D
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when you have a route planned, it knows where you are! Try then asking it to nav to a POI whist your route in still in there, then you have the option of selecting a POI near your position or on your route. Long winded but it does what you want to do? :P
SGR1913
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have v5, you might want to use "Navigate to POI in city" something i find very useful..
Jim-Bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to browse map then center on current location then find nearby POI. this should give a list of POIs of whatever cattogary you want in order of distance from whereever you are in a straight line.
yunixx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Whishlist) Ohh I see now what you mean, I think, the list of POIs was not near where you were? But near to where your home is? Which was not what you needed? Right? If so you are also right. I am doubting myself now!!

Exactly!!! Phew Laughing I dont know why it defaulted to my home address... maybe that is how it is programmed in TomTom.

Quote:
(Wishlist) So when you have a route planned, it knows where you are! Try then asking it to nav to a POI whist your route in still in there, then you have the option of selecting a POI near your position or on your route. Long winded but it does what you want to do?

Yeah.. Being a programmer myself, I feel that might really work. But you never know Smile I will try it .. Thanks.

Quote:
(SGR1913) if you have v5, you might want to use "Navigate to POI in city" something i find very useful..

Yeah... "Navigate to POI in city" is one of my favorite new-feature in the v5 software. But why should I have to go through a bunch of extra steps to do something that TomTom could have done easily? Smile

Quote:
(Jim-Bob) Go to browse map then center on current location then find nearby POI. this should give a list of POIs of whatever cattogary you want in order of distance from whereever you are in a straight line.

That is the other option I have... I guess I will just have to find the least painful way to get what I want.

Thanks for all your feedbacks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: