Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Time saving tip for loading maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Time saving tip for loading maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Time saving tip for loading maps Reply with quote

Here's a little something that may save you time.

If you are like me and frequently travel to areas that normally you wouldn't keep on your 510's SD card, then you might be interested in this tip.

Rather than attempt to purchase or manage 1-2gb of SD memory , I've found that by taking one 512mb SD and loading various regions of the US and Canada on to it, and then backing it up to CDs reduces the time to restore a different region to the SD to about 10 minutes.

Other advantages include....
Travel lite. all you need is your 510, one SD card, a small USB SD read/writer and your SD backup CDs.
If you should need to load a different region of maps onto the SD card then simply find a pc. via (library, hotel, client or other) and copy the cd on to your SD card and your done. No need to install active synch software, navman map manager or have an internet connection.
If you should loose your SD you can purchase another and restore your maps from the CDs.
Because CDs and SD R/W are so cheap... you might consider having a dedicated set you leave in your travel luggage.
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Time saving tip for loading maps Reply with quote

Scruge wrote:
Here's a little something that may save you time.

If you should need to load a different region of maps onto the SD card then simply find a pc. via (library, hotel, client or other) and copy the cd on to your SD card and your done.

I'm on the understanding that you must be online to install a map of another country other than the one you bought your 510 in. ?

No need to install active synch software, navman map manager or have an internet connection.

Are you saying you can install maps directly to a SD Card without going through your 510 programme?

If you should loose your SD you can purchase another and restore your maps from the CDs.

More or (even more) detail on this tip would be great Scruge.
Preference for Motorways & Freeways...More Often......Maximum Right.
Preference for Urban Roads
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just remembered your in USA so you will have those maps, but what if you buy extra country maps such as UK, or in my case USA. ? Will your tip still be possible ?
Preference for Motorways & Freeways...More Often......Maximum Right.
Preference for Urban Roads
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmek wrote:
I just remembered your in USA so you will have those maps, but what if you buy extra country maps such as UK, or in my case USA. ? Will your tip still be possible ?

I don't have the euro maps so I don't know if it works with them or not. I don't see why it wouldn't if they were legally purchased and processed by the Navman map manager at least once to setup a SD.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Time saving tip for loading maps Reply with quote

[/quote]

More or (even more) detail on this tip would be great Scruge.[/quote]

Now that's a good idea. I have the full EU maps on CD's (four of them) and it's a real pain setting up a trip across Europe. I'm just off to eastern europe and will have my laptop with me so when I get time, I will give this one a try. Anyone else with experience of this tip and results please give it a post.
This is the first really good tip/suggestion on this forum - more please.. Exclamation
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Time saving tip for loading maps Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:

More or (even more) detail on this tip would be great Scruge.[/quote]

Exclamation[/quote]

Example.
I've composed 5 cds that contain the full set of maps for the USA and Canada.
1) I started first with one blank SD 512mb and loaded all the states in a given region (SE) using Navman map manager (like you normally would) until the SD was full.
2) I then took the SD and put it into my SD r/w and copied all the files to a CD and labeled it SE USA.

Then I erased the contents of the SD and went through the steps again for each of the remaining regions (NE,NW, SW and Central). Each time making a copy of the SD to CD.

In my case I ended up with 5 cds.
Now if I should find myself traveling to the northeast all I have to do is copy the contents of the NE cd to my SD card using a cheap usb SD reader/writer, which takes about 10 minutes for 512 mb of maps.

Keep in mind you can't compose a custom SD with a mix of various states from different CDs as you can with the map manager and your original map CDs.
This is ok with me. usually I fly from one region to another, skipping the need for those regions in between.
Also you might considering putting your home maps on all compositions so when you return from your trip the SD will always have your home maps available.

If you tend to drive across large areas then you may want to structure your CDs differently than I. Instead of creating them by regions you may want to compose them based on the route you take.

The bottom line here is that once the SD has been composed you should back its contents up to CD. If you should ever need to use the composition again, its just a simple copy operation from cd to sd in 10 minutes and eliminates the lengthy task of using the map manager.

Actually you don't even have to use a CD. you can backup the SD to the folders on your hdd. I prefer the CDs because they are portable.
cactusgreen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmek wrote:

I'd say no - just back from a US trip with my UK 510 and the unit locked up on me at one point. On a restart only the UK maps came back - the US ones were on the card but in red and not selectable. Needed the software to - I guess - confirm I'd licenced them?

Might still be OK - as it may be coming up from basically the 'backup' that cause the problem.
couriersoncall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound a silly question, but is it not possible to just buy an extra SD Memory Card, have UK on one card, then when you cross the water, take it out and plug in your other SD Memory card that has Eurpoe on it?
steev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i agree with the last post, i have 3 sd cards. france/spain on one, germany sweden norway etc on another, and the uk on another. i just put in the card for the area i am in, if i ever go somewhere else, it is just as quick to change one before you go via pc., no need to go anywhere to get on a pc.
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steev wrote:
yes i agree with the last post, i have 3 sd cards. france/spain on one, germany sweden norway etc on another, and the uk on another. i just put in the card for the area i am in, if i ever go somewhere else, it is just as quick to change one before you go via pc., no need to go anywhere to get on a pc.

Yes I agree that having everything on SD makes life so much simpler. Better yet one could purchase a 3gb SD and have all the maps on one card. Only problem might be the lengthy load time required by the 510 every time it was reset or faulted.

However I have a hard time justifying the expense of having $300 worth of idle SD cards lying about in case I might need them. FYI the US maps set is 5 cds or in SD terms >2GB of memory.
I use the CDs as an inexpensive backup in the event I forget the correct SD. I keep a set of 5 CDs @ 50 cents per set in all my cars and luggage. If I were to do the same with SD the cost would be >$1500.

BTW.. they come in real handy when one of those last minute detours are made by the home office after you've already left for your trip.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: