Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do you have signal problems in your car ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you have signal problems in your car ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Do you have signal problems in your car ? Reply with quote

New Shape Ford Fiesta Feb 2002. Ghia 1.4 Heated Windscreen.ipaq 3950 with CoPilot4.No Signal. Requires Re-radiating antenna.

New Shape ford Fiesta TDCI normal windscreen no problems.Also Mercedes Sprinter, Vito and Citroen Berlingo all OK, but I keep the Re-Rad Ant connected and place it on the dashboard.
__dg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Do you have signal problems in your car ? Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by lozg on 12 March 2003

My setup:>

Compaq 3870 with iNS.

Sat in a 2002 Ford Galaxy TDi, non tinted screen with heating elements.

Reception is poor without external mounted re-radiating arial, (18 Seconds with)

I have a Galaxy with heated screen and reception is very good.

Ipaq and Tomtom with Royaltek reciever.

Receiver is placed near the little quarter-light on the RH side of the dash.

dg
pdpuk
Occasional Visitor

Again the Audi posting re 2001+ models seems spurious.

2001 (late) Audi TT (coupe) with TTN2+Dell X5+Holux 270 works fine. Typical 6-7 Sats either with holder to right of windscreen or when just lying on passenger seat - (not recommended if you have heavy right foot on braking!)
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

Same ere Audi A4 Saloon 2002 model - no problems with reception here. Usually 5-7 sats... Use a Holux mouse GPS
Gizmo
Occasional Visitor

Mitsubishi Evo 4, Haicom rec. just above rearview mirror with Jornada 540 & TomTom2, usually 5-8 sats, with good ttff

Bryan.
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

Porsche 944 Turbo (89)

Good reception 7-9 sats if on dashboard and very close to windscreen. No reception if under sun visor, glovebox, on passenger seat. Must be under the windscreen, or no signal at all

BMW 5 Series (N reg)

Perfect reception in almost any position

Emtac BT
russgunn
Regular Visitor

2001 VW Golf GT TDI (130BHP version). Not sure what type of glass it has as standard but with my TomTom Bluetooth receiver I always get between a 3 and 8 satellite fix with 10-15 second TTFF. Unit is placed in middle of dash, almost right up against the windscreen.

Very impressed with this receiver by the way, excellent cradle for it and very compact. Useful for me as I get in and out of the car sometimes 40 times a day!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

Has anyone noticed how badly GPS receivers work on trains? They must have some coating on the windows, although it's not that obvious.
flyingrigger
Occasional Visitor

My set up... Navman 3450/ Compaq iPaq 3970 using window sucker in Golf Mk2, and also converted phone "gooseneck" in BMW Mini ONE. Even though the Navman is real low (level with the radio) in the Mini still get very quick TTFF !! Very pleased with the set up.   Highly recommended
dmac
Regular Visitor

Peugeot 307sw.
No signal under main glass covered cabin.
However no problems with TT BT receiver fixed onto rear
windscreen wiper housing.
Just have to be careful not to slam the tailgate.
virtuame
Occasional Visitor

Navman Jacket

Tom Tom Navigator

Centre dashboard mounted

1999 Volvo V40 T4 With no Coating

Average 4 Signal fixes but has been as high as 8!
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

LDJ111

I used my Pretec unit (no ext antenna) in a 52 reg Clio. It was a Stelios special (Easyrentacar) so was pretty basic spec, but I had no problems at all (apart from the fact that it was a diesel!)

As a rule of thumb (prepares to be shot down) if it has a "greenish" or "bronzish" tint, you may have problems with a Renault, however, I frequently find that I get a great signal by using an external antenna on the parcel shelf.

Good luck

MS

ipaq 3630, Pretec CF GPS, Ipaq 5550 Fortuna Slim GPS, TTNAV 5.10 w traffic , SPV C500
Dave
Frequent Visitor

We're looking to create a complete list of car manufacturers, model, year that seem to have problems using a GPS Receiver, either due to a heated windscreen, or a coated windscreen or other elements. If you fall into this category and find poor GPS reception in-car, and you then move your GPS Receiver outside of the car and it then the sginal dramatically increases, can you please post the following in this message so we can collate this information into an article for others to be aware of. We're looking for:-

• Manufacturer Make
  • Model of Car
  • Year of Manufacture
  • Does the windscreen have a heater coil, or a coating on it ?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Renault Megane Scenic

Coated windscreen

stburch
Occasional Visitor

1995 Chevy Lumina Mini-Van

the radio antenna is in he roof

my 3420 fine with a r-r antenna

barely with out it

the 3420 works fine in other vechicles

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: