Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Acer N35 v medion PNA 100
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Acer N35 v medion PNA 100
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrumble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been right around the block, and ended up where I started.

After adding up the cost of a better PDA,bluetooth GPS and Tomtom, and weighing it against my needs I've just ordered an Acer N354 from Ebuyer.

In both area's of GPS and PDA is good enough for what I want to do with it, any thing would have probably been a waste. Plus, the £350 odd I didn't spend can now be put towards a new laptop :D

BTW anyone with an Acer that wants to use it on a wireless LAN, www.ebuyer.com have an SDIO wifi card for £25

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=7505510856&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=89714

Seems a bit cheap,half price in fact, compared to any of the others I've seen. I'll let you know sometime next week if its any good.

Oh,and they have 1gb SD memory cards for £43
rick40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrumble Can't wait to her how you get on i am probably going to follow suit but i will wait to see how you get on
youngun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Acer n35 Reply with quote

youngun wrote:
steve404 wrote:
Rick,
The Acer N35 is supplied with unlocked GB and Ireland Maps on the SD card and the pack also contains CDs which cover the rest of Europe, but these require unlock codes available at http://moremaps.destinator1.com
these unlock codes are $79 each, hope this helps Wink

Steve

Are you sure about this???

I have installed the european maps onto my PC and have been able to edit them to reduce the size.But I must amit I have yet to install them on the PDA as I am awaiting a bigger SD card.

Your right I transferred my edited maps and they won't work until I activate them Evil or Very Mad I'm gutted because I have to pay another $129. Another problem is I can't find the Licence Keys anywhere within the pack to register the thing.

The Plus side is I used it yesterday to navigate across London and it worked great.
steve404
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Acer N35 Reply with quote

Hello,
The licence key is USUALLY on the front cover of the Destinator Quick Start Guide packaged with the unit when you get it, its a sticker that is scrawled across the bottom of the front page of the guide book.I nearly missed it too as I recall the key is listed as being on the disc packets.

I had to e-mail Destinator yesterday as I 'lost' Destinator of my Acer, it stated that I had an unregistered version, got an almost immediate reply from Destinator and they sorted me out. Dont know what I had done, but I am back on the road.

Hope this helps.

Steve. :D
scrumble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just spent a fun two hours mucking about with my new toy :D

I haven't had chance to take it for run, but I'll try it on the way to work tomorrow for a proper test. Sitting next to the window, in the front room, it managed to get a lock on six satelites, and Destinator even put my location as being 20 yards from the road which is pretty damned accurate. It did seem to take awhile, as all things do when you wait for them, and although it was probably only about 30 seconds I can see why a seperate bluetooth GPS would be an advantage if it was being used for outdoors.

Connecting with the pc was a breeze, and I transfered the drivers for the lan card with out a problem. The cheap card from ebuyer works perfectly and, although I can't vouch for the exact numbers for speed, I spent ten minutes browsing the net from out in the back garden and it seemed ok.8) The only thing the card lacks is any memory, but the only ones I've seen that combine memory and wifi are Sandisk, which are around £80, and I've heared of a lot of problems with them. Besides, I'm unlikely to be downloading much from the web anyway, especially as I don't have a virus scanner for the Acer Smile

The only thing I'm waiting for is the 1gb sd card, which should be here tomorrow.

The only downer of the day was the screen protector. Its a thin film to stop the screen getting scratched. Any number of PDA stores sell them 10 for £10, or there abouts. I bought one from ebuyer, which was a genuine Acer and not a generic make, and I hadn't realised it was only one not a pack. So if you want a screen protector, don't get the real Acer. One tip though, you won't find any for the N35, but its the same as the N30 so just look for N30 screen protectors.

It also needs a decent case. The one that comes with it is basic to say the least, and resembles a cloth glasses case. PDair have a nice looking one

http://www.pdairshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=261

But I'm none to keen on the fact it has cut-outs all round. I need something to protect it fully, and stop fluff and other crap from getting into the various holes. But its the only all metal one that I've found, so I may end up modding it slightly.
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
i bought a acer n35 after lot of shoping around due to tight bugdet ...
first i looked at hp ipaq 1710. initially i got woried about destinator.
it is true, sometimes funnily it can be tricky. i think the lesson is not to rely 100% on machines or software.
it once said wrong dorections around a round about.
but i checked the sign posts early enough!!!
next time it said to turn but in knew the road and i took what i knew and destinator was queit!!
acer has ext. antenna port (optional)
unless u got heat glass or something reception is ok!!
battery is not removable, and i have not tried on its own. i think u need to decide on for what u need it?
also since it folds neatly u can just pop it in ur pocket and go walking/shopping.
and u donot need power mount with speaker since olume is good enough unless ur shutter down or stereo playing loud! or kids shoutin like mine?
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctd...
also need to tell u that instructions either with acer and /or destinator is minimal. if u get stuck go thru this forum it has got lot more than acer ot destinator etc..
i think we have discussed this before, somewhere...
medion also has a differnt processor.
scrumble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing rocks 8)

Just tried the GPS on the way home and its upset the guy I gave a lift home. He's just paid £1300 for gps in his BMW, admittedly its slightly more advanced and has voice activation, but this is a grand cheaper and can be taken out Smile

Plenty loud enough to be heard over the worst road noise, but if isn't good enough I tried one of those MP3 player cassette adapters

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27793&doy=18m5D

So you can have sexy Suzy blaring out of your stereo Smile

If you've got passengers I'd advise you to turn of the speed limit warning, as it can be a bit embarressing when she keeps pointing out your going too fast.

The only downside I can see is that it doesn't like tall buildings, and although I never went lower than 4 sats, its not exactly packed with skyscrapers in Grimsby, so I can well imagine it might struggle in the somewhere like London.
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile hi
does any one know whether you can use out put from the pda to car stereo/radio so it can get transmited thru stereo ..just like in mobile fone handsfree kits going thru radio mute Rolling Eyes
scrumble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate proof the N35 is the mutts nutts?

My gadgetphobe Dad has gone out and bought one after seeing mine. If he can bring himself to splash out cash on a bit of technology, then it must be good :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: