Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fix problem with navman 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fix problem with navman 510
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THEGERS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix problem with navman 510 Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
Does anyone have tis problem with there navman 510, sometimes when in a wide open space for example in a car park in a field with clear skies and hardly any cloud .....it will sometimes take up to about 15 minuets to get a satelite fix which aint very good (you could have driven home in that time if you new the way) other times it will lock on in less that 2 minuets...and sometimes even without its own antenna up ....are these units sometimes a bit "lazy" or would a external antenna help...i never once had this problem when i owen a garmin ....thanks for any replies..

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON SAT MORNING AROUND CUMBERNAULD TOTAL LOSS OF GPS FIX?VERY PUZZLING,JUST HEADED FOR GLASGOW THEN IT RETURNED QUEER 8O A BLACK HOLE.
gizmomoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: loss of signal Reply with quote

I have also had the same problem on quite a few occasions.
I have had to resort to turning the unit on and off via the switch on the back of the unit.
It will sometimes do it after turning off one day then turning back on the next morning even though the unit had a gps signal when it was turned off.
Sounds like a software glitch of gps transmitter problem.
Whats going on!!!!!!!!
martley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had this problem with the first ICN 510 I had. I kept persisting with it but in the end I took it back. Waiting up to 15 - 30 minutes, even after initially loading up thr thing made me very stressed, especially when I had to get somewhere quick. After taking it back, the new one was and still is fine. Gets a fix in about 30 seconds at the most, even in a car...so just take it back again and get another. I do really like this item especialy when comapred to things like Tom Tom 'cause it is so compact and portable.
gizmomoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: sat nav fix Reply with quote

Total pile of Sh*t.
Yet again this morning i got in my recovery lorry after using the thing last night and having a satelite fix working ok.
5 o clock this morning i had a call out.
I turned it on and yet again no signal.
It gave a location of toddington up on the M1 which is one of my points of interest funny that as i was in High Wycombe some 40 odd mile away.
My last position used was High Wycombe.
Fu*k me i turned the thing on and off 4 times using the reset on the back of the unit and everytime it told me i was still in Toddington when i was actually leaving wycombe en route to Oxford via Stokenchurch.
I actually got out of the lorry in Stokenchurch and held the bloody thing while it reset.
Still in bloody toddington.
Gave up got back in lorry and low and behold after 20 mins of my journey it actually got a fix.
What the hell is going on.
I am a recovery driver who has binned all his maps and am now totally reliant on this pile of sh*t.
How the hell can i trust it for guidence when nearly everytime i turn it on it is not working properly.
i can get out of bed at anytime of the night a be on the road within 10 mins but this bloody thing is still asleep or dreaming it is elsewhere.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return it to where you bought it from and get them to give you a replacement. Or ring Navman Tech. Support on 01293 780 500. Have you installed the Service Pack?
DreX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not have changed position
But the Sat sure as hell has

If you switch the unit off for a couple of hours
then the satelites have moved thousands of miles.
The Unit will have to re-acquire 4-6 Satellites
If you live in an area where there are High Buildings
2 or 3 of the sats might be blocked out

However it shouldnt take any more than 3 or 4 minutes
Maybe there is something in the truck interfering with the unit

REmember the navman 510 isnt designed for use in a bumpy
breakdown truck
The Electronics are Fragile and dont take kindly to being constantly Rattled
DreX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try clicking on the GPS staus screen
going to the Second or thirs screen
and see how many satelites the unit is picking up
The Green Vertical bars show a good sat lock

If it is detecting only 2 then the aerial is ok
the Gps signal is being hidden by something
Like a building
gizmomoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: sat fix Reply with quote

Hi Tim.
Yes i have installed service pack i will try to contact tech support thanks for that.
As for the other replies i am nowhere near any tall structures,the unit is in direct site in the windscreen "believe me the screen area is vast"
The screen is not heated or coated and normally i do not have problems with the unit once it gets a fix that is!!.
It is not a bumpy old truck it is approximately £55k worths and fairy new, nothing is interfering with the signal and i thought these things were advertised as being able to use on a bike, i take it they probably mean mountain bike as well so so much for it being fragile as using it on a bike would rattle it more than it gets in my truck!!
Spider-101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that getting a fix in 2 to 3 mins is normally not a problem provided I have a signal from 4 or more satelites and I'm STATIONARY. If you try to get a first fix whilst moving it makes much heavier weather of it.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: no fix Reply with quote

Well it seems that after my post about this problem of getting a fix seems to be very frequent, and looks like a lot of people out there luckily have got a good one and i'm pleased for them, having said that it seems like there is also a LOT of bad ones as well i had 2 of them one after the other, I totally agree with gismobody its darn frustrating when you need to rely on your purchace to help you get were your going and having paid (in some cases) nearly £500.00 for it then you should be able to rely on it, my first one "locked on" when it felt like it and the second one nearly got launched out of the car window cause it was no better than the first..it would lock on sometimes after about 45 seconds but other times it took up to an hour,I think the qaulity control needs uprating at navman because there are an awfull lot of people out there that are getting frustrated with these 510's that are not working properly and yes we have all read the instructions, its no good people coming back and replying that how good they think the 510's are and that the Navman 510 is brilliant because this thread is all about the many bad ones thats being sold - and no we havn't all got reflected windscreens-the problem is the darn things don't work as they should but like i said some people have got a good one which we mostly seem to hear about. It is no use blaming the satalite resception because I have now gone over to Garmin and have had NO TROUBLE AT ALL with it, i have also had one about 2 years ago and had no trouble with that either also my freinds have them and reported no trouble so it cant be the satelites, they lock on EVERY time after about 15 seconds and never fail but this isn't about Garmin, all a can say is for the people who have had the same probs as me is that i realy sympathise with them so come on Navman lets get a bit of qaulity control on these things that your charging 500 quid a time for.
cactusgreen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2p's worth...

All those people with FIX problems - can I ask if you are using just the tiny built in aerial - fine for the most part but the better option must be the repeater one Question

Can't say I've had many problems with mine - the times it does cause a delay to FIX is usually when I start off on a journey before a FIX is in place, anywhere near to a any of the major military bases - and that can be as far away as 10 miles 8O ...interesting that gismoggy had problems around High Wycombe - as that's right on top of a NATO strike command and missile silos - purposely placed there because of the natural shilding effect from radio/microwave interference and that's also why mobile reception is so poor despite having one of the highest concentrations of repeater mast in England! And most interestingly - diesel engine vehicles, because the stray signals from them are so much greater than the petrol units.

Garmin do have better reception - because they have a greater powered receiver...so do the other Navman ICN's - that's why they cost more Wink
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: don't agree Reply with quote

Sorry dont agree with catusgreen..no offence but if the reciever aint up to the job then whats the point in fitting them and in some cases you can get a garmin for (in some cases) less than you pay for a Navman 510 and i havn't read a forum on them yet having a fix problem. I do believe though that you have a valid point that the reciever just isn't as good as it should be and for the cash you pay it SHOULD be - it just isn't up to the job in hand...I hold a city and guilds in radio transmissions and comunications so i do know a little bit about the subject of what should -and shouldn't be regarding reception and transmissions and the 510's seem to be asleep half the time. I stood on the top of a hill in the middle of a field with both of mine and it would not lock on to any satalites, tried it the following day and it worked reasonably well but this hit and miss method is not good enough especially if you drive for a living lik gismomoggy. Probably if i had climbed up a ladder on the hill in the middle of the field it mite have worked a bit better Rolling Eyes . The problem needs addressing.
cactusgreen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: don't agree Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
Sorry dont agree with catusgreen..no offence but if the reciever .

None taken Smile ah...but the reason the Navman reciever appears so low powered is that it complies with the current SAR recomendations for a personal device - that are strictly enforced in NZ, that's why Nokia and Motorla do so poorly in that market - they do not make differing units for the rest of the world....maybe a mistake Question Other manufacturers may class their devices as something other than hand-held/personal and so get better recievers. Let's not also forget it's the mapping software also on the units that can appeal in the great Pistol Shoot Out SAT NAV arena.

All I can say for sure is the 5 units I have access to all FIX fine - are all from the second run of manufacture (about December 04). They all worked faster in the USA than here - as access to the Magellan satalites is better from a geographical point.....SP1 helped for some issues but made US use a pain on address lookup, and SP2 is on it's way Thumbs Up

....Of no help to those with problems, but I'm happy enough Laughing
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: don't agree Reply with quote

cactusgreen wrote:
SP2 is on it's way

When? Question :o
gizmomoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: poor fix Reply with quote

Hi with response to the poor fix in High Wycombe due the the military bases i am in total disagrement ref the shielding as i have an after market fit alpine unit of 8 years old in my BMW and i have never had a satelite fix problem.
Yes i probably agree with the other post ref the navman having a less powerfull transmitter due to the portability issues.
No i have not got an external aerial "but there again what differnce does this make when you take the unit out of the vehicle into the open and it still does not get a fix".
Like the other posts state it is about time Navman sorted this issue head on and other people stopped harping on about theirs working ok.
Good luck to you but believe me you make me feel no better stating this.
No offence I do not wish to know this!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is an inherrent fault
It needs addressing.
If anyone from navman tech is reading these posts please raise the relevant issues with the correct department and resolve these problems as i am still having fix problems and the unit is a piece of SH*T !!!!!!
It is no bloody good waiting for a fix when i have a 45 minute response 24 hour a day call out 365 days a year.
People at navman take note.
It may be you involved in a accident or your car broken down by the side of the road when it is Pi**ing down with rain and you are on the way to the airport.
Don,t be surprised if it is me who gets the callout to help you or your wife/girlfriend and you get really of waiting cause when i get there you will no why i am so bloody late!!!!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: