Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom PLUS Service Goes Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom PLUS Service Goes Live
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They claim to have collated the data themselves.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I make a nice suggestion again for a web form to allow us to update the pocketgps database. Email don't cut it really. Thanks Smile
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any body know what form this TomTom release of the the Camera database takes and how compehensive it is.
Is it just the Gatso cameras or does it include Mobile Cameras, Redlight and Speed related.

I can't for the life of me imagine TT have travelled the length and breadth of the UK to map and verify every Gatso.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
Do we know there sources.. I reads the TT website and am tempted to ask for the details.. Anyone here know before I fire off an email.. I already use Trafcam, which will not work with TTN5, so I would be looking for another database...But if I thought they had ripped off the Pocketgps one, I would not be a happy boy!

I have asked on a number of occasions and have been told that it is a database put together by "TomTom" and each camera has been verified.

This I find an interesting concept as the TomTom consultant was asking us about our database in the middle of Jan this year. Obviously they had not started collecting the data at that point. They have not signed a deal with us so it cannot be our data they are using. I suspect that with the best team in the world it would be virtually impossible to "verify" each camera position if they are doing it themselves. The conclusion I have reached is that they are using another third party database.

Of course I may be wrong and they may have have visited all 6000 camera sites in 3 months. Who knows?
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
I have asked on a number of occasions and have been told that it is a database put together by "TomTom" and each camera has been verified.

This I find an interesting concept as the TomTom consultant was asking us about our database in the middle of Jan this year. Obviously they had not started collecting the data at that point. They have not signed a deal with us so it cannot be our data they are using. I suspect that with the best team in the world it would be virtually impossible to "verify" each camera position if they are doing it themselves. The conclusion I have reached is that they are using another third party database.

Of course I may be wrong and they may have have visited all 6000 camera sites in 3 months. Who knows?

The fact that the Pocketgps is freely available for download is enough to make one wonder as to their source. Like you I cannot believe that they could have visited every camera site.
Perhaps adding a few fictitious cameras to the database and seeing how long it takes before they appear in the TT one would be interesting.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pocketgps database uses coordinates of up to 4 decimal places, I doubt that another database would have precisely the same locations for each camera.

There are other camera database like Road Angel? Perhaps they got the data from the same place as them.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Parky wrote:
Or just another example of "Rip off Britain"

More likley I agree! However our database will continue.

Good news that the pocketgps database will continue to grow (well not good news that it grows but good that it continues!)

As for the GB cost this must be down to number of camera sites - France (via michelin give this one out for free) has approx 150 fixed sites - my guess is the Dutch and Belgians have far less than we do.

Ian
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding hard to understand how they can try and sell a product that most customers cannot use as they have not released V5, and they are charging so much for the privledge.

I also think they should offer a trial period like they did with the Traffic service.

Dare I say it but how long will it be before someone converts the TT DB to a standard POI file ? ?
gilbem1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[All sites checked and verified by TomTom field surveyors]!

Yeah right...presumably these are the same ones that have missed the M6 Toll road for the past year ! Keep up the excellent work Pocket GPS...![/quote]
dannyoneill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O and again i say 8O

I use Wayfinder on my P900 and while not the best nav package it does all i need and more. Speed cams are included for free. They are just a waypoint afterall. Traffic is an extra at about £17 a year.

For what Tom Tom are charging I would expect it to have 100% of cameras and never miss a traffic problem but we all know thats never going to happen.

Sat nav is supposed to be a benefit. Somthing to save you time and money to get you directly to where you need to be. But prices like that will make most think whats wrong with a map book and looking out for the bright yellow speed cams Laughing

If the prices were lower Im sure they would attract more customers like my dad and his good ol' fashioned ways Rolling Eyes
dannyoneill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again, saying that. Could be worse, could be traffic masters option. Thats £96 a year for speed cams and you dont even get a screen.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have thought the last thing you needed to be looking at was a screen. I would be more interested in looking at the speedometer and my speed in relation to the approaching camera.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or they could have purchased say, Origin's, database and done some fiddling to make it work with TT so claim that it is theirs....
terrencegale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: pocket gps camera database versus TT plus database Reply with quote

Have been reading all your thoughts on this. I think Tom Tom are a bit suspect! I have just bought a Tom Tom Go 300 and so far am pleased with it, however didn't know the subscription cost of the camera database would be so high when i bought it! Can you tell me if i can use the pocket gps camera database on this product? (the Go 300)
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will we be seeing a review of the Speedcam database, this could be a little difficult as this site has its own DB, but I'd still be interested in a review.

I'm still mistified how Navigator users can use this service.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: